Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Weddings, are they still around?????

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I think Tommy Fedora was making a sarcastic, tongue in cheek comment; "$30K for a party of 150. Not much for an afternoon of entertainment. Pure Insanity." I think perhaps you may have overlooked the "pure insanity" comment.:D

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Indeed :)

I just like to express my opinions sometimes, even if the aren't directed at anyone. I don't get many opportunities to freely be me in real life. There are only so many times my poor husband can hear me say the same things over and over lol I have a whole new audience with you guys ;) Hope you don't mind my sometimes long winded and opinionated posts. Feel free to ignore them ;) :D

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I appreciate small modest weddings of only close friends and family, but when I hear people say, "we just had some cold cuts and snacks", I can't help but think, "is this how you treat your guests?" The focus should be on the food because that’s what guests will be focused on the most.

I’ve heard that the average wedding costs something like $29,000.
$29,000! They could buy a boat for that. Or one of the low-end Jaguars. Or a big down payment on a house. Or a trip around the world. Or go on an eBay spending spree.
A wedding is over in one day!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Oh, for sure! There needs to be more than cold cuts, but it doesn't have to be elaborate.

We didn't have full blown dinner since my wedding was at 6:30 at night. I made sure my handful of guests knew to eat before coming (they were all close friends and family, no one was offended), and I just served hors d'oeuvres. I had a fruit and veggie platter with beautiful strawberries, blueberries, grapes, etc. There was a cheese and cracker platter with lots of yummy chesses and a large variety of crackers. I also had these nice little gourmet beef shish kabobs that the waitstaff brought around. I had an open bar for the first hour with house wine, beer, juice, soda and tea. Then I had a very delish cake, too. People had enough to eat :)

But again, I know that most people care more about food than the actual reason they are there to eat the food, and I just don't understand that mentality. If you don't actually care about the union of these two people who love eachother, and all you want is the food, then why go [huh]

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I'm still trippin' over the roast beef sandwiches wrapped in wax paper.lol lol Then throwing the various sandwiches across the room. Surely Jack is in jest, no one is that uncouth.:D

You think I could make this stuff up, Linc? Let me tell you about my grandmother who used to come back from Italy with sopressata sewn into the lining of her coat. When we got her back from JFK, the first thing she would do was throw her overcoat on the kitchen table, rip open the lining, and pull all the contraband sausage out. Why do you think I left Brooklyn?

Regards,

Senator Jack

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Irish weddings are always quite large, because the families are usually big, and it's seen as something of an insult if you don't invite your cousins neighbours dog etc. The travelling community especially has very big weddings, and it wouldn't be uncommon to see 13 bridesmaids - at least!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
You think I could make this stuff up, Linc? Let me tell you about my grandmother who used to come back from Italy with sopressata sewn into the lining of her coat. When we got her back from JFK, the first thing she would do was throw her overcoat on the kitchen table, rip open the lining, and pull all the contraband sausage out. Why do you think I left Brooklyn?

Regards,

Senator Jack

bahahahahahahhaha smuggling sausage?????lol lol lol

So are you implying that Queens is a refuge from Brooklyn? That it's a little higher class there?:D

I've heard some stories, but nothing like smuggling sausage in an overcoat. Out here I've seen people trying to bring fruits from Hawaii, but I've never heard of anyone sewing them into their clothes.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:

Regards,

Senator Jack

lol :eusa_clap Sopressata on the lining of the coat ?????? lol lol
I love that story!!!!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
My grandmother, the sausage mule. The pipeline ran from Campobasso, Italy to the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. And then there was the marble bust of Mussolini she brought home; my uncle's request for this souvenier was meant to be a joke, but...

Regards,

Senator Jack

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaaha lol lol lol lol the bust of Mussolini???? that too??

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
My grandmother, the sausage mule. The pipeline ran from Campobasso, Italy to the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. And then there was the marble bust of Mussolini she brought home; my uncle's request for this souvenier was meant to be a joke, but...

Regards,

Senator Jack

You're killing me here. bahahahahahahaha oh my gut, oh my gut. Bust of Mussolini. bahahhaahhaahahhahaha Just like in the movie The Freshman; "oh you know, to them it's like......The Beatles"lol lol lol Oh, you're killing me. This is unbelievable. Well, I do have a cousin with a porcelain Franco. So what the hell.:D

Edward

Bartender
I've always wanted a bust of Lenin for my office, but I can't imagine my remaining grandmother making it to Russia, let alone carrying one of those back! lol

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Big weddings are definitely still around.

I don't want to think of what my cousin's cost, it was a big muslim wedding, it was at a historic hotel too.

Most of the groom's family changed from their fancy expensive (and prim) day dresses into expensive (and sexy) cocktail gowns too.

One of my college friends had a huge wedding too even though she was in her 30's (gasp!). Catholic church ceremony and then a huge reception with a stream and gazebo, monster catered dinner, live music, etc.

I also went to a cermony and reception at the Aquarium of the Pacific, about 200 guests, eating swordfish and tuna while live ones swam around in a tank behind us.

My nephew is getting married next month at 9:30 am!!!!! I am guessing it will be a small wedding, since it is at the brides home. But still, 9:30 am? (Shudder) Don't they know that old auntie has a problem getting up that early?

Edward

Bartender
That is unsual... at least, back in Ireland they're normally 1pm or 2pm, maybe as late as three (but not often). gives people time to arrive on the day, i guess - and if like me your trousers don't fit (I know i was still a 34" waist, those hire trews must be cut small. Or maybe they shrunk in the dry clean.... couldn't possibly have been me expanding. Oh no), time to go get them changed sharpish!

Tourbillion said:
Big weddings are definitely still around.

I don't want to think of what my cousin's cost, it was a big muslim wedding, it was at a historic hotel too.

Most of the groom's family changed from their fancy expensive (and prim) day dresses into expensive (and sexy) cocktail gowns too.

One of my college friends had a huge wedding too even though she was in her 30's (gasp!). Catholic church ceremony and then a huge reception with a stream and gazebo, monster catered dinner, live music, etc.

I also went to a cermony and reception at the Aquarium of the Pacific, about 200 guests, eating swordfish and tuna while live ones swam around in a tank behind us.

My nephew is getting married next month at 9:30 am!!!!! I am guessing it will be a small wedding, since it is at the brides home. But still, 9:30 am? (Shudder) Don't they know that old auntie has a problem getting up that early?

Gee, I need to have some friends like yours. :eek: ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy