Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Biggest head?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I just returned from my local hat shop where the proprietor told me that the biggest hat he ever made was a size 69! He said it was like a tent.

That's over 27 inches. That aint a hat - thats a construction site!

Anyone come across a larger noggin? If Art's around - what's the biggest hat you've made (Halloween costumes excuded)?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The biggest I've seen is an 8 1/2.
HPIM3852.jpg

click

billyspew

One Too Many
From Time Magazine - May. 27, 1929

"The average hat size is 7⅛. Among average size takers are Calvin Coolidge and Al Jolson. John D. Rockefeller Sr. wears a 7½ John D. Rockefeller Jr. a 7⅜. The largest hat ever made was a special order from a Ringling Brothers Giant, who weighed 480 pounds and took an 8⅞."

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billyspew said:
From Time Magazine - May. 27, 1929

"The average hat size is 7⅛. Among average size takers are Calvin Coolidge and Al Jolson. John D. Rockefeller Sr. wears a 7½ John D. Rockefeller Jr. a 7⅜. The largest hat ever made was a special order from a Ringling Brothers Giant, who weighed 480 pounds and took an 8⅞."

Hells Bells Billy! How many inches would an 8 7/8 be?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
27" would be 68.6cm. My local hatter's size 69cm would have been up there among the biggest hats!

He told me his next biggest was a couple of 66ers - that both came into his shop in the same week completely unrelated.

jwalls

Vendor
Large sizes

I was by my hatter's yesterday and he was packing up a size 8 to ship out. He said he had made 1 size 9 in 20 years in the business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart