Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso A2 Jacket

palma

New in Town
Hello gentlemen,

I am debating between horsehide or goatskin. I was leaning towards goatskin for its light and durable character. I want a jacket that I can wear regularly and not have to worry about making it look too worn too soon. I know this might sound strange and I actually do admire well-aged garments. However, I just don't want this process to happen too quick.

Hello gentlemen, I am debating between horsehide or goatskin. I was leaning towards goatskin for its light and durable character. I want a jacket that I can wear regularly and not have to worry about making it look too worn too soon. I know this might sound strange and I actually do admire well-aged garments. However, I just don't want this process to happen too quick.
Unless you're working in it - I mean really working in it - it's not going to happen. Guys here intentionally beat/wet/wear their jackets to get some wear (me included) and it's still difficult to do.

palma

New in Town
Unless you're working in it - I mean really working in it - it's not going to happen. Guys here intentionally beat/wet/wear their jackets to get some wear (me included) and it's still difficult to do.

So, either goatskin or horsehide will be fine for wear and abrasive damange?

Also.....keep in mind that goat hide varies in quality, just as HH and steer do.
Some manufacturers use great goat hide, some not so great.

Valid point. I would go with a tried and trusted mfg for the jacket, but only Bill Kelso seems to have a nice slim fit as the last pic in the thread illustrates.

So, either goatskin or horsehide will be fine for wear and abrasive damange?

Both do very well withstanding scraping with abrasion. Goat tends to do a bit better...but horsehide is generally thicker, will tend to withstand tearing a bit better, and hence is used on motorcycle jackets (along with steer hide) more frequently than goat.

I don't concern myself with "abrasion resistance" when it comes to goat vs steer vs HH as all do well. I'm more concerned with feel, weight, color, and character of the hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy