Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso A2 Jacket

Edward

Bartender
I should suspect later, wartime production would vary more as delivery deadlines became more important than quite so exacting a QC standard?

The 14th, thanks - I seem to have trouble retaining that number! I'll keep an eye on eBay and see what turns up. I don't really need another A2, but you know how it goes... :)

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I received my Bill Kelso A2 last tuesday and have been wearing it since then. I'm very satisfied with it. I wanted an A2 since long ago, but couldn't find one to suit both my expectations and my pocket, and Bill Kelso's did. (That sounds like an ad)
As I said before, I cannot compare to other well know brands. I did my web-searching and studied lots of pictures, measurements, opinions and comments here and there, and got to the conclusion that for that price it looked far better than other low an medium priced jackets and even close to jackets priced more than twice this one.
When I took it out of the box (in my car just after picking it up at the post office - couldn't wait to get home :)) my first impression was that it was too stiff. But this might be because I've never had a horsehide garment before and also because I was wearing a super-soft suede jacket and the contrast was high.
After three days wearing it, it's developing creases and softening... only a bit, or may be my impression and it's just my body adapting to the jacket.;)
Andy has been very helpful all the time. I had some doubts about the colour, as the russet shown on the pictures seemed to me not well represented, probably due to the light conditions. Andy offered to send me some leather samples, but unfortunately never arrived. The rest of that story I told already in an earlier post. Anyway I'm taking some pictures with colour references for anyone interested. But have to find out the way to show them right on the post, not linked. :eusa_doh:
I go for the pics and see you later. ;)

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I've been trying and searching the FAQs, but can't find the way to attach a picture so it can be seen directly on the post, so here is a link to an album @ picasa.
One of the pictures features a bottle of coke close to the jacket, it is meant to serve as a comparison of the colour of the jacket to a well known shade of red, as well to the green of the grass behind.
All the pictures taken with natural sun light (too much light perhaps).

https://picasaweb.google.com/gonzalo.gil.lapetra/BillKelsoSA2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMjwtPWDwM6MmAE#

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I've been trying and searching the FAQs, but can't find the way to attach a picture so it can be seen directly on the post, so here is a link to an album @ picasa.
One of the pictures features a bottle of coke close to the jacket, it is meant to serve as a comparison of the colour of the jacket to a well known shade of red, as well to the green of the grass behind.
All the pictures taken with natural sun light (too much light perhaps).

https://picasaweb.google.com/gonzalo.gil.lapetra/BillKelsoSA2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMjwtPWDwM6MmAE#

P1010874.JPG

P1010856.JPG

P1010864.JPG

P1010853.JPG

P1010868.JPG

P1010871.JPG

Here ya go.. looks like a great jacket to me!

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
A really good jacket!

Please can you tell us about the size and give some measurements taken on it,according to your body measurements?

thanks;)

grrrrreeeeeg

New in Town
Hi
I received my Billkelso today!
I think it looks great :eusa_clap
Gonna be my Tshirt for me too
Unfortunately I don't know how to insert a pix on the web site...

L'Onset

Familiar Face
A really good jacket!

Please can you tell us about the size and give some measurements taken on it,according to your body measurements?

thanks;)

Hello Sgt.
Here you have the measurements Andy Falzon emailed me:
Dear Gonzalo,

Thanks for your message.

Please see below the measurements of size 40R in inches:

Pit to pit 22 1/4
Shoulder to shoulder: 18
Back from collar seam to end of waistband: 25
Sleeve from shoulder seam to end of cuff: 26

Indeed, our jackets have a slim cut and uniform fit like the WWII originals.
They are not the full, blousy cut with droopy shoulders that other makers sell.

I do not know if "square shaped"* is an accurate description but if you are slim
you will defintely be satisfied with our jacket.

The best way to find the size that fits more nicely is as follows:

While wearing a shirt, take your chest measurement.
To that measurement add 4 inches and then divide by 2
That gives the pit to pit measurement of the jacket that fits you best.
This is how they do in the military.

Please let us know your chest measurement so we can guide you.
We may do a custom job, depending on what you need done.

Kind regards,
Andy Falzon

Bill Kelso sales

And these are my body measurements (inches and centimeters):
Around chest 39 3/4'' = 101 cm
Across shoulder 17 1/4'' = 44 cm
Back (Neck to waist) 24 3/4'' = 63 cm
Arm (from shoulder tip to wrist): 25 1/2'' = 65 cm
I feel like they had my measurements to make this size right to fit me :laugh:

I have also taken my own measurements of the jacket right now and they go as follows:
Chest (arm pit to arm pit seams): 22 1/2'' = 57 cm
Shoulder seam to shouder seam: 19 1/4'' = 49 cm
Sleeve (from shoulder tip to end of knit): 22 1/2'' = 57 cm
Back length (collar seam to end of knit, centered): 22 1/4'' = 61,5 cm
Waist ( leather over the elastic band) : 19 1/4'' = 49 cm

* For "square shaped" I meant that, on the pictures of the jacket I saw, it seemed to me that the horizontal dimension (chest) was roughly equal to the vertical dimension (back),... and I wasn't far of it ;)

L'Onset

Familiar Face
The color looks a lot like a LW russet A-2. Looks like it will have great grain to it. The cut seems loose (good), the stitching looks good too! Very nice!

Thanks Phantomfixer.
I've been wearing it daily since it arrived, even when driving and bus-travelling from home-town to work and back (1 hour trip) and the grain starts to show beautifully. It has received two good rain storms last weekend and probably tomorrow again. It seems though, that warm weather arrives soon so the time for wearing a leather jacket here where I live it's coming to end. If my memory resists the passing of the next summer and autumn months, may be I'll be able to post more pics of the worn leather.
The stitching is made with OD threat.

I tried to get one, but like many of these repro outfits, they don't deal in anything over a size 48.
Me, I think it's bunk, but hey, I'm just peeved after a lifetime of that answer ;)
Jackets look nice though for a good, high-middle range price.

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
Hello Sgt.
Here you have the measurements Andy Falzon emailed me:

And these are my body measurements (inches and centimeters):
Around chest 39 3/4'' = 101 cm
Across shoulder 17 1/4'' = 44 cm
Back (Neck to waist) 24 3/4'' = 63 cm
Arm (from shoulder tip to wrist): 25 1/2'' = 65 cm
I feel like they had my measurements to make this size right to fit me :laugh:

I have also taken my own measurements of the jacket right now and they go as follows:
Chest (arm pit to arm pit seams): 22 1/2'' = 57 cm
Shoulder seam to shouder seam: 19 1/4'' = 49 cm
Sleeve (from shoulder tip to end of knit): 22 1/2'' = 57 cm
Back length (collar seam to end of knit, centered): 22 1/4'' = 61,5 cm
Waist ( leather over the elastic band) : 19 1/4'' = 49 cm

* For "square shaped" I meant that, on the pictures of the jacket I saw, it seemed to me that the horizontal dimension (chest) was roughly equal to the vertical dimension (back),... and I wasn't far of it ;)

Thank you very much L'Onset for your exhaustive answer;)...you've been very usefull for my size choice..i think i'll opt for a 44 size.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Hi
I received my Billkelso today!
I think it looks great :eusa_clap
Gonna be my Tshirt for me too
Unfortunately I don't know how to insert a pix on the web site...

You will need to upload the picture to a photo hosting site like photobucket. Then copy and paste the image URL, into a post, and it will show up.

Edward

Bartender
I tried to get one, but like many of these repro outfits, they don't deal in anything over a size 48.
Me, I think it's bunk, but hey, I'm just peeved after a lifetime of that answer ;)
Jackets look nice though for a good, high-middle range price.

I imagine one reason why companies that style themselves as manufacturers of accurate repros don't go above a certain size is down to availability of appropriately-sized hides to be able to produce the original-spec one-piece back panel.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
A little easier if the jackets are horsehide, but goat and lamb skins for jackets have real problems with sizes over 48. Indy jacket makers keep getting it in the neck from the 50+ talls who want lamb... sorry mate try GMing them first!

A little easier if the jackets are horsehide, but goat and lamb skins for jackets have real problems with sizes over 48. Indy jacket makers keep getting it in the neck from the 50+ talls who want lamb... sorry mate try GMing them first!

I actually like horse and cow (and bison) better than goat/lamb, so I tend not to care about the hide, but I think some are lazy too. If I have to have a two-piece back, I can live. But I've seen plenty of all those animals, and getting a hide that large is not a big ordeal. But that's fine, I'll just give biz to those who bother.
What is "GMing"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80