Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Aeronaut A-1 or Aero Aeromarine

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Dark seal badalassi steer. Cape skin is too soft and danty for my taste, but to each his own, right?

Last edited:
I had the Badalassi swatchbook last week- very nice stuff!!!
Go with that!
Then ask for a second one in Petrolio!!!!

rus1980

Familiar Face
Dark seal badalassi steer. Cape skin is too soft and danty for my taste, but to each his own, right?

He never mentioned that steer was available.

The only leathers that he mentioned are the ones I already listed.

Badalassi dark seal or Capeskin in seal or perhaps russet.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Thanks. I did not know that. I am confused of course, because their FB page labels it as cowhide:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...746.1073741907.540638042633158&type=3&theater

Here is a cut and paste from the Bill Kelso lounge page:

The first jacket we made with Badalassi can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2633158&type=1

Badalassi is one of the best tanners with worldwide recognition.
n September 2013 we will present our blue Badalassi A-1 which we
aim to make even better than the Japanese version.

The leathers we use are horsehide, cowhide, goatskin, capeskin, and lambskin
but may add more in the near future.

My understanding was that the Badalassi was just the name of the tannery that offers different kinds of leather. Is this not the case? Please forgive my ignorance.

Last edited:
Well a steer is a deballed bull. A cow is a female..but some lump them all together as 'cows'...thus steer can fall into that cowhide range sometimes. Some make no distinction. Maybe Badalassi is true cowhide rather than steer.
HD

rus1980

Familiar Face
Thanks for the education. I had no idea. I learned something tonight. To me there isn't much difference. They are both cows.

andyfalzon

Vendor
hi, at least for the European tanneries (and possibly the Asian too) there is no difference. All are sold as 'cowhide'. In fact, there is no such thing as 'steerhide' in their products list.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Got my jacket from BK. Didn't arrive in 2 weeks (as Andy suggested it might), but I ordered it in the holiday season (so not entirely unexpected). My experience dealing with Andy was excellent overall. He was extremely patient with my endless emails and responded quickly to most of them. The jacket seems to fit great (custom measurements). The jacket is Russet Capeskin with a red lining (which I asked for), not everyone's cup of tea. It's taking me some time to like the red lining, but I asked for it, and Andy even warned me that it might be too bright. That being said, the jacket is beautiful and I've already got positive comments about it from strangers.

I have ordered leather jackets from Gibson and Barnes, Schott, Pegasus leather (also excellent service), and an Aero through Thurston, and I would rate BK's service as top notch. The jacket is very nice and is easily nicer or equivalent to all my other jackets. I know you all want to see pictures of it, but I don't own a camera that would do this justice, nor do I have anyone to take pictures of me wearing it today. I will endeavour to get some taken at some point and will do my best to post them here...

I would like to give Andy positive feedback for a great experience. BK did a great job. As some of you have seen on other threads, I have no problem complaining if service is not great. I am very picky. In this case, Andy and BK have impressed me. So thank you Andy! I will do business with BK in the future.

rus1980

Familiar Face
Jacket4.jpg jacket1.jpg Jacket6.jpg Jacket2.jpg

Last edited:

rus1980

Familiar Face
Thanks Betron! I replaced the original lining that came with it. It came with a red lining that I had asked for. But I didn't dig it. So I sourced a tartan lining and had it re-lined. Very happy with the jacket now. Very cool jacket. My only regret is that I don't have another one in a different leather, just for fun!

I'm a happy customer for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo