Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Leather Photo Review

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Can we see closeups of your cap? Who made it?
Me? I'd take some photos for you when I get home. Just normal Harris Tweed 6 panel cap. Got them from one of those Harris Tweed shops online. Very durable caps. I have them in a few different shades. A Must have for wet cold winters.

Damon141

Practically Family
Aero does not do skiving and uses thick threads and needles so won't be that accurate.
That’s probably wasn’t worded correctly.

I was just thinking it would be cool for Aero to have a deluxe line to compete with the higher end market, like Himel Bros which included all of the skiing, thin cotton thread, high stitch count and all that good stuff.
I just figured there is a market for precision made jackets, I assume it’s why people are obsessed with the Japanese brand jackets.

It would just be nice to see more western brands with that attention to detail.
Ofcourse keep their current production which are still very well made jackets especially with the prices and options.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you--that's a great cap!
it’s eight panel not six panel my mistake.
I’ve gotten them quite long ago I honestly don’t remember from which one. I just googled Harris tweed caps and picked what looks to be the safest site. They’re all from UK. And were probably £35 to £50 if I remember correctly. The local hat shop in my city are selling similar ones for like two times or more the price. These were made from the heavier weight Harris Tweed and they’ve lasted a few winters already.
C4A15AE6-0D0B-45F4-BE94-353ED33DE336.jpeg
AB13CF84-19C8-4086-A714-8493F59450CA.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s probably wasn’t worded correctly.

I was just thinking it would be cool for Aero to have a deluxe line to compete with the higher end market, like Himel Bros which included all of the skiing, thin cotton thread, high stitch count and all that good stuff.
I just figured there is a market for precision made jackets, I assume it’s why people are obsessed with the Japanese brand jackets.

It would just be nice to see more western brands with that attention to detail.
Ofcourse keep their current production which are still very well made jackets especially with the prices and options.
Perhaps further explanation is required. The originals have high stitch counts. I posted photos of the stitching of my 60s Harley, 60s Buco and RM's Buco a while ago when Fellow Loungers were discussing skiving, stitch count vs strength. I remember Aero has said that they make jackets their way because it will last longer that customers would not have to worry about tearing open the seams. That their jackets would be stronger than the originals or jackets from current makers.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I don’t know about seam strength between high or low stitch count, but I have to say thick seams can get uncomfortable during long wear. 1.2mm on the typical four fold edge is almost 5mm! some seams seems like cost cutting measures to me but others would seem that they serve a purpose. I think depending on patterns different seams would benefit from different sewing methods for maximum comfort to strength ratio. Sorry, didn’t wanna make things more complicated, but I’ve noticed that’s one of my major reason for letting go of a jacket, if the shoulder seams get uncomfortable it’s gotta go.

Damon141

Practically Family
I don’t know about seam strength between high or low stitch count, but I have to say thick seams can get uncomfortable during long wear. 1.2mm on the typical four fold edge is almost 5mm! some seams seems like cost cutting measures to me but others would seem that they serve a purpose. I think depending on patterns different seams would benefit from different sewing methods for maximum comfort to strength ratio. Sorry, didn’t wanna make things more complicated, but I’ve noticed that’s one of my major reason for letting go of a jacket, if the shoulder seams get uncomfortable it’s gotta go.
I can picture one of those really heavy 8lb horsehide jackets you have and imagine if there was a 5mm seam along the top of the shoulder or the shoulder/sleeve seam, the weight of the jacket would put so much pressure on the seam

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I can picture one of those really heavy 8lb horsehide jackets you have and imagine if there was a 5mm seam along the top of the shoulder or the shoulder/sleeve seam, the weight of the jacket would put so much pressure on the seam
Super thick jackets are fun but they do get very heavy for daily use. It does become a work out. I also think of them as a cardio work out in the cooler months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk