Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Binding Your Edge

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Bowler edge?

Hi all,

I recently redid the edge of an old Christie's bowler. It was an incredibly difficult, painful process. The original work was all hand done in tiny 2-3 mm intervals. Living in Taipei, I couldn't find an appropriate 1 inch ribbon, and settled with a 7/8 inch ribbon. Needless to say, I couldn't use the original holes for my restoration job.

Because of the hard edge, I was using a thimble and pliers to work the needle through the hat. My stitches are slightly less than 1 cm apart, and the job took two solid afternoons of work. The finished hat is wearable but far from perfect. If I could, I'd give it right back to a hatter to be redone.

A question - my bowler has a thin metal ring that slips around the inside of the edge. I looped the ribbon around this ring and sewed it in place in the front and back areas. This seemed right...

Sorry all, no pictures, but feel free to ask me questions if I've been unclear!

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Okay, first of all... Aaron: $650.00 for a regular sewing machine with an adapter? Wow. They don't sell a little guide jig all by it's lonesome you can attach to the sewing machine you already own, do they? ;)

Feltfan: I've done some commenting on spats in the past, but an indepth look at them? No, but it's a decent idea. As soon as I can post pics online, I'll do that, maybe even post some patterns. Good idea.

Art: Feltfan is right, you went overboard in the helpful sharing department, and it is most appreciated. I honestly figured this thread is where the amateurs like myself would talk about their attempts, what worked and what didn't. I never expected a pro to pop in and pull back the curtain like that. It is flattering to have your input, especially in such a detailed fashion.
Very cool.
As for my attention to detail... It's gonna drive me bats if my edge wavers or warps or wrinkles a bit. I'll always know where it is on the hat, like a spider sitting on the brim.
Ick..
I got a feelin' this is gonna do my blood pressure little good.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Spatterdash said:
Okay, first of all... Aaron: $650.00 for a regular sewing machine with an adapter? Wow. They don't sell a little guide jig all by it's lonesome you can attach to the sewing machine you already own, do they? ;)

I don't know. Do some research and let us know. I'm sure there are plenty of us here who have our wives sewing machines just waiting for a zippy little guide jig. ;)

Aaron

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, Singer *used* to make all sorts of oddball attachments for their machines way back when. And, I mean way back. I have no idea what's out there now beyond what I see in some of the stores. Most of those look like computerized mini embroidery machines (the wife's business is screenprinting and embroidery, hence the reference).

Now, I have one of those ancient cast-iron Singers. It's an electric model, but it's really a treadle machine in a wooden carrying case with an electric motor attached. My mom has one as well, which I grew up learning to use, and mine came from a yard sale for $10 many, many years ago.

I used mine a lot for repairing canvas back before nylon tarps replaced canvas (now, that dates me). Mom would never let me use her 'special anniversary' model for something as mudane as canvas repair, so I had to get one of my own! :p

I bring this up because the thing has dozens of attachements with it, including one that's meant for attaching edge ribbon onto hats. Well, according to the manual that's what it's for. I've never used the thing. :p

Now, I do see these old machines from time to time at yard sales still. That's about all the help I can be on this topic: Keep your eyes peeled around yard sales and you might find something to do the job with! :)

Later!

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21