Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK Liberty Hide Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I am not a saint. I have said things before in my living room which I regret. However, seeing this bull on a public forum from a business selling goods to the general public, I empathize greatly with that innocuous person(s) in the market who may feel harmed by Andy’s comments. I usually shy away from being politically correct, but this is less about that than standing up for a demographic that is being alienated and marginalized, very cruelly and unfairly IMO.
We can only offer our acceptance and support for people of all backgrounds. And we all do here. So nevermind the Billocks. Of course he knew his “PM” to SF would get out in the public sphere. That guy is out in space.

dannyk

One Too Many
1. If you’re confident in your product who cares what people are saying about it on some forum. Unless you’re going to use it as some sort of market research. See what’s working and what’s not.
2. Sure there’s some manliness allure with these jackets but I’m pretty sure gay guys can be manly and I’m pretty sure they buy jackets haha

Otter

One Too Many
Unfortunately the quality their tailoring is markedly superior to the quality of their invective.
Is anyone reminded of the film In and Out, specifically the "Manliness Tape". Hot damn, yowza, what a fabulous window treatment.

Thekiyote, I may have to steal your line, "The interior decorator of his soul".

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Unfortunately the quality their tailoring is markedly superior to the quality of their invective.
Is anyone reminded of the film In and Out, specifically the "Manliness Tape". Hot damn, yowza, what a fabulous window treatment.

Tthekiote, I may have to steal your line, "The interior decorator of his soul".

It's not mine. Credit where credit's due, that's actually how the guy who wrote the Lost Worlds FAQ actually described people who like lambskin leather jackets.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What, to me, is of particular interest here is the fact that Andy, of whom we've heard almost nothing for quite some time, must spend quite a bit of time trolling threads such as this searching for negative comments (real or imagined) and then immediately retaliating. What a way to live!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I’m pretty sure gay guys can be manly and I’m pretty sure they buy jackets haha

While political figures of their time did their very best to keep it secret, it is all the easier to find out about the sexuality of the celebrity rolemodels which are cherished as manly icons of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Andy may fall out his chair reading this but it is well confirmed that among many others Marlon Brando, Paul Newman and Steve McQueen were all bisexual. YOU HEAR ME ANDY? YOU'RE SELLING MAN-LOVER MERCH ON YOUR WEBSITE! BETTER TAKE THE BRANDO AND MCQUEEN JACKETS OUT OF PRODUCTION, YOU MAY GET INFECTED WITH THE MENTAL DISORDER SEWING THEM TOGETHER OMAGOSH!!! :D

However, where Bill Kelso Mfg crosses the line, for me, is that that attitude is so strong, it's toxic. He's not just pumping up his own masculine pride, which I can ignore, but he's attacking other people, and that's enough for me to permanently write him off. That interfering with other people is the difference between an asshole and a bigot.
Absolutely. Stuart's musings are comical to me. I think he'd actually be fun to have a beer with and I'd hope he'd never break character...but BK's incendiary, bigoted remarks show what a lost soul he/they really are. Certainly undeserving of my money and not worth the least bit of attention.

dannyk

One Too Many
Absolutely. Stuart's musings are comical to me. I think he'd actually be fun to have a beer with and I'd hope he'd never break character...but BK's incendiary, bigoted remarks show what a lost soul he/they really are. Certainly undeserving of my money and not worth the least bit of attention.
I’ve never personally dealt with the man though one of his jackets is on my list to own before I die ha. Based on all the stuff I’ve read on his website and from other users opinions and stories he seems more like a comic book character or something haha. A larger than life, random, one of a kind. Like the drunk uncle at family gatherings who has a ton of awesome stories to tell but doesn’t know when to stop. BK and Andy on the other hand seem like the crazy uncle who tells you their antiquated unsolicited political opinions and conspiracy theories.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
This thread sure seems like it has taken a strange turn.

Inasmuch as “bigot” means someone who is intolerant of those who have different views, everyone here expressing such vitriol for andy/bk seems to be just as much of a bigot as he supposedly is... just on a different side of the opinion.

All the criticism reads like, “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion unless it is different than mine!” Why can’t people have different views about whether or not homosexuality is a good or bad thing? If you can’t tolerate people who have different views, then you are the bigot.

What does it have to do with the quality of bk leathers? Not a dern thing so far as i can tell.

Sorry, but this thread keeps popping up in my forum feed and it’s aggravating to keep reading as members call others bigots and express just how hatefully intolerant they are of others being intolerant! It’s not what this forum should be about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Inasmuch as “bigot” means someone who is intolerant of those who have different views, everyone here expressing such vitriol for andy/bk seems to be just as much of a bigot as he supposedly is... just on a different side of the opinion.

All the criticism reads like, “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion unless it is different than mine!” Why can’t people have different views about whether or not homosexuality is a good or bad thing? If you can’t tolerate people who have different views, then you are the bigot.

You moved the goalpost there. I doubt anybody here would use your definition of bigotry just being a "different side of the opinion."

Preferring pepperoni over sausage on a pizza is an opinion. Trying to forbid anybody else from ordering sausage on their pizza is bigotry, as would sending a cold harassing email, telling them that they suffer from some sort of disease because they like sausage.

The BIGGEST problem with this argument is that is aims to silence anybody who would want to stand up against legitimately intolerant behavior.

I reject that.

If one cannot tolerate others holding different views
When the opposing views are based an hate/superiority or righteousness the tolerance threshold has been crossed and the argument you present quickly crumbles. I can't imagine how you feel about Nazi Germany and white supremacists, just a different point of view eh? But yeah back to the jackets...nobody cares anymore. BK can go pound sand for eternity as far as I'm concerned.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
726E32DC-7288-49A7-BF1A-B147F521E727.jpeg My jacket arrived.
It’s the experimental horse hide from Japan.
Circa 2006 or so according to Andy.
He recommended I skip this as it was a hide they didn’t like and never ordered more of. I am glad I went with my gut and bought it. I like the fit, color and the leather , though not as supple as goat, feels like it will withstand a beating.

It may never patina quite like the liberty or victory HH, but I like it and paid only half of what that would have cost.

Theodoros

New in Town
My personal theory is that Thedi started the BK line and I bet Andy worked for him. I bet Andy was in the process of buying the BK line from Thedi which could explain the 'pending big announcement' and with the company now his the euro to gbp switch came to recover costs of buying the business. Maybe something went wrong in the deal, hence why Thedi and BK dont acknowledge eachother. Thats my guess anyway.
It is the last time that I will answer on this issue.
I swear I never met this man in the 40 years that I do this job and never hear anything about him or his company in the Greek market.
It's a ghost company, running here and there.
We have been registered in the Greek archives since 1979, we have an address, phones, shop and whoever wants to visit us, our door is always open.
I have previously invited him through the forum to visit us and finally state where this company is and which exactly produces its products. No answer.
So I forbid all of you to involve my name with someone I never met.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This thread sure seems like it has taken a strange turn.

What does it have to do with the quality of bk leathers? Not a dern thing so far as i can tell.

Sorry, but this thread keeps popping up in my forum feed and it’s aggravating to keep reading as members call others bigots and express just how hatefully intolerant they are of others being intolerant! It’s not what this forum should be about.

Your response here is a good example of first class nonsense. An intolerance of bigotry and other harmful ideas defines progress - or are you happy for us to burn witches too?

Comparing vicious bigotry with the criticism of that bigotry, however robust, is a cheap rhetorical trick to distract us form the central point. BK regularly uses hate speech and hemorrhages vile, morally disgusting views. Sure Andy or Platon or the company has a right to do this. But we have an equal right to call out BK's BS. We are criticizing BK for hate speech, BK is criticizing people for who they are and appears to be recommending harm be done to them. Not the same thing at all.

I doubt anyone here wishes the folk at BK any harm, we just don't want them to profit from us given their repugnant views and behavior.

What next? What if BK moved from hate of gay people to hatred of certain races? Would BK's advocates then say, "It doesn't matter, Andy was always nice to me and the jackets were great." Or maybe there are some people here who think hatred of gay people and wishing them harm is perfectly ok.

It is sometimes important to assess a company for its conduct not just the stuff the sell.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Your response here is a good example of first class nonsense. An intolerance of bigotry and other harmful ideas defines progress - or are you happy for us to burn witches too?

Comparing vicious bigotry with the criticism of that bigotry, however robust, is a cheap rhetorical trick to distract us form the central point. BK regularly uses hate speech and hemorrhages vile, morally disgusting views. Sure Andy or Platon or the company has a right to do this. But we have an equal right to call out BK's BS. We are criticizing BK for hate speech, BK is criticizing people for who they are and appears to be recommending harm be done to them. Not the same thing at all.

I doubt anyone here wishes the folk at BK any harm, we just don't want them to profit from us given their repugnant views and behavior.

What next? What if BK moved from hate of gay people to hatred of certain races? Would BK's advocates then say, "It doesn't matter, Andy was always nice to me and the jackets were great." Or maybe there are some people here who think hatred of gay people and wishing them harm is perfectly ok.

It is sometimes important to assess a company for its conduct not just the stuff the sell.

Great answer, you could say it louder but not clearer.

If you don’t condemn hate speech, you silently support it, which makes you a bigot by default.
A “closet bigot”.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I understand there was "blame on both sides" during the Salem witch trials...
Good one! As I understand it this is a fairly recent technique used by racists, homophobes, and other bigots where they accuse anyone who challenges them of denying their right to free speech.
I am a big believer in free speech, but I have no use for hate speech, no matter how politely or eloquently worded it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo