Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK price increases again?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No doubt you-know-who will be here with some convoluted, specious explanation, probably with some apples-and-oranges analogy thrown in for good measure.:eusa_doh:

Say what you like but he's always entertaining I love the hard sell routine, we're better than anyone else and know more than all of you put together. It's good fun.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Say what you like but he's always entertaining I love the hard sell routine, we're better than anyone else and know more than all of you put together. It's good fun.

We humans love drama. I won't deny his posts are quite fun to watch. I wonder if this preemptive response will cause him to finally not respond…

andyfalzon

Vendor
Last July we made an announcement that BK was sold to UK interests who wish to remain undisclosed. The deal was concluded last January which was when the new owners wanted to increase the prices but the old management resisted consistently until now. I would like to remind everybody that there was a huge billboard on BK website for longer than 6 months explaining that the jackets made with Victory horsehide were offered far below their value and that the actual prices would apply soon. These "tactics" allowed our customers to benefit by buying those jackets really cheap and ourselves to promote our products and services to a wider public. In a sense BK sponsored the customers who bought those jackets. The new ownership thought this could not continue anymore. Their goal is that the brand should expand further and I can reveal that work is being done to present new products soon. Such expansion is a costly operation so it had to be funded by an increase in the prices.

I remember when Tony Nowak entered the scene sold the Indy jacket at $1200 and there was a debate over at the Indy forum that his jackets were overpriced because Wested sold them at GBP 165. Apart from the fact that almost every fan got one of his jackets, the majority of members and especially the moderators defended Tony Nowak and his prices suggesting that each vendor is entitled to adjust his price depending on his costs and quality of his product and that his prices were well justified. We sold our version which is more accurate than TN's and made with better leather for eur 600 ($800) and people are still complaining that it's expensive.

May I remind everybody that BK prices are still lower than other UK vendors and the quality is equal or higher, while the costs are higher than everybody's because there is still no benefit of economies of scale.

As regards the new house jacket, it will be made with our new Mark 31 horsehide which is the same quality horsehide that Gibson & Barnes use in their A-2 jackets. So by buying the BK you get the same leather plus the original WWII pattern for almost the same price.

Last edited:

zhz

Practically Family
So BK is a company owned by a british but located in Greece now?

But Andy, the points is, I am OK and understand the price increase, but not this way.

Also, I dont think after this raise, the price is still lower than other UK vendor now. Aero sell most their products between 500-650 pounds, Eastman 700-750, and BK, 700-740 pounds now. I dont know if there is any other high end company in UK, but the most popular two are cheaper or equal to your price. Not to mention the shipping cost, is it 40 euro or 40 pounds now?

Last July we made an announcement that BK was sold to UK interests who wish to remain undisclosed. The deal was concluded last January which was when the new owners wanted to increase the prices but the old management resisted consistently until now. I would like to remind everybody that there was a huge billboard on BK website for longer than 6 months explaining that the jackets made with Victory horsehide were offered far below their value and that the actual prices would apply soon. These "tactics" allowed our customers to benefit by buying those jackets really cheap and ourselves to promote our products and services to a wider public. In a sense BK sponsored the customers who bought those jackets. The new ownership thought this could not continue anymore. Their goal is that the brand should expand further and I can reveal that work is being done to present new products soon. Such expansion is a costly operation so it had to be funded by an increase in the prices.

I remember when Tony Nowak entered the scene sold the Indy jacket at $1200 and there was a debate over at the Indy forum that his jackets were overpriced because Wested sold them at GBP 165. Apart from the fact that almost every fan got one of his jackets, the majority of members and especially the moderators defended Tony Nowak and his prices suggesting that each vendor is entitled to adjust his price depending on his costs and quality of his product and that his prices were well justified. We sold our version which is more accurate than TN's and made with better leather for eur 600 ($800) and people are still complaining that it's expensive.

May I remind everybody that BK prices are still lower than other UK vendors and the quality is equal or higher, while the costs are higher than everybody's because there is still no benefit of economies of scale.

As regards the new house jacket, it will be made with our new Mark 31 horsehide which is the same quality horsehide that Gibson & Barnes use in their A-2 jackets. So by buying the BK you get the same leather plus the original WWII pattern for almost the same price.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
BK has always been one of the most eccentric, bombastic, inchoate, enterprises on this site and others. What do you expect, something straightforward.?

andyfalzon

Vendor
zhz I thought I ought to give a reply above to prevent speculation. BK has been straightforward by giving notices many months ago. I can answer all your questions but since we suspended our affiliate thread here it would not be politically correct. If anyone is interest to know more, they can contact me privately.

Our jackets have appealed to certain a audience while others have vigorously scorned them. For the latter, I don't see why the agony about our new prices since they aren't buying anyway.

As regards our bombastic statements, they are well deserved and supported by the quality of our jackets which is hard fact that nobody can deny.

zhz is right. BK is now MORE expensive than the two 'big boys' of the UK.

This statement is not correct.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
zhz I thought I ought to give a reply above to prevent speculation. BK has been straightforward by giving notices many months ago. I can answer all your questions but since we suspended our affiliate thread here it would not be politically correct. If anyone is interest to know more, they can contact me privately.

Our jackets have appealed to certain a audience while others have vigorously scorned them. For the latter, I don't see why the agony about our new prices since they aren't buying anyway.

As regards our bombastic statements, they are well deserved and supported by the quality of our jackets which is hard fact that nobody can deny.

You just said in your earlier post that your prices were lower than the other UK vendors. Now you don't say that because zhz proved you wrong. That is not straightforward at all.

andyfalzon

Vendor
dudewutttheheck I said I will not reply to any more questions but don't drive me crazy please

I said
May I remind everybody that BK prices are still lower than other UK vendors

Our A-2 (gbp740) is cheaper than ELC's (gbp 750).
Our Hercules halfbelt (gbp 700) is cheaper than Aero's (gbp 735) and much cheaper than ELMC's Californian (gbp 825).

How did zhz prove me wrong exactly?

The leather we use costs at least twice than what Aero use.

HD, and I had to look up what is the local time in Indiana USA, to see what are you doing up so late/or so early.
Please stop what you are doing so that this thread doesn't get locked like the other.

Last edited:

zhz

Practically Family
OK, first of all, I do interested in BK's product, and I do think the quality is good. I dont think I saw the notice about the price thing, but fine, maybe I missed it.

I dont see how I was wrong about the BK price is higher or equal to other two? Unless you compare your house A2 with others, in this case, yes, BK is the cheapest. But, as I listed, most BK products are higher or equal to them.

andyfalzon

Vendor
I said the price is lower and the quality is equal or higher.
I don't compare the house jacket. My previous posts gives the price comparisons if you care to read.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, this is a shame. I had actually thought to try a BK G-1 variant since they seemed to fill that sweet spot between G+B and ELC (i.e. a repro quality jacket at a more affordable price).

This price increase really puts BK and ELC back in the ring together and I think ELC has a hard earned reputation that BK is going to have a bit of a time overcoming, nice though their jackets are.

Andy, I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I think that some of your word choices don't come across well.

When you say things like that your bombastic statements are well deserved and that people can't deny the quality of your jackets, it really appears to trip over the line between justifiable pride and arrogance.

And that costs sales. It's just psychology. Humans love confidence, but they hate arrogance.

Anyway, I wish you and your company luck.

Deacon

andyfalzon

Vendor
When you say things like that your bombastic statements are well deserved and that people can't deny the quality of your jackets, it really appears to trip over the line between justifiable pride and arrogance.

What I meant to say is that our "bombastic" statements were not bullshit. They were not marketing fanfare. Everything that is said about the leathers is 100% the truth. I don't understand why the truth should not come across well and be taken as arrogance.

I'm up this early every morning. What in the world does what I am doing at this hour in the morning have to do with anything..?
HD

I mean, don't you have anything better to do at 6:30am than to criticize BK?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred