Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Beauties

I purchased these two hats via ebay last week... both old and black. They were costly - at the top end of my hat allowance at $200 each, but they looked in very fine condition for the age, so I splurged.

First, the No.1 Stetson, 1930s, 1/4 ribbon banding at the edge of a slightly upwards brim. The sweatband has the look and feel of a loved old baseball glove.

stetson1.jpg

stetson2.jpg

stetson3.jpg

stetson4.jpg

stetson5.jpg

This Vanzina was also advertised as 1930s, prior to Borsalino taking ownership of this company. I can't find any history on this, other than the fact that Borsalino now owns this trademark. The company was located near Milan and this hat was sold through a store in northern Italy very near the Swiss border. It is a beautiful winter weight felt, somewhat heavier than my Borsalinos from this era:

vanzina1.jpg

vanzina3.jpg

vanzina4.jpg

vanzina5.jpg

vanzina6.jpg

Hard to take pictures of black hats... would enjoy hearing your knowledge or experience with either of these black beauties.

frussell

One Too Many
I agree, although that Stetson is a real killer. I'd pay that much for one in my size any day. Good catches both. I've been veering towards the black lately, maybe it's the winter coming on. Frank

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm pretty sure I sold that same Vanzina over the summer. Really cool hat, isn't it? Incredible condition.
IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good buys, I not on top of all the hand clapping but defiantly envious. If you ever lose interest with the thin ribbon Stetson, I like an opportunity to make an offer for it

DRB

One Too Many
You look good in black..wide brim... and short brim. Good additions to your collection.

I'm pretty sure I sold that same Vanzina over the summer. Really cool hat, isn't it? Incredible condition.

The same hat my friend - and your pictures are beautifully done. It has stayed in perfect shape and gotten a little more expensive I would guess!

Was it a good fit for you? A perfect 7.125 for me.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
This Vanzina was also advertised as 1930s, prior to Borsalino taking ownership of this company. I can't find any history on this, other than the fact that Borsalino now owns this trademark. The company was located near Milan and this hat was sold through a store in northern Italy very near the Swiss border. It is a beautiful winter weight felt, somewhat heavier than my Borsalinos from this era:

Beautiful Hats.
Vanzina made hats independently at least into the 70's and Borsalino seems to have first used the trademark in 1990. RMR in Italy has both original(NOS) and Borsalino Vanzina hats.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Good to hear. I don't remember what I sold it for, but I know when I did the market wasn't very good.
Much too small for me, but I couldn't pass up such an early hat in such good shape.

mattwithahat

New in Town
Those hats are amazing, Alan! What a great find. That No.1 Stetson is enough to make a woman swoon. Haha.
I had one similar to it awhile ago, but sadly, I let it go. I now regret it quite a bit. Thanks for the pictures.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Since Western style hats probably outnumber Fedoras down here and that one looks to have a 3" or better width of brim, my guess is that it probably had some curl at the sides towards the front. But then a lot depends on it's age and when it was worn as to how much if at all. I recall some older men wearing Stetsons back 50 years ago with the brim very flat when I was younger. If it was mine I would put some curl to it but sadly it is not :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Since Western style hats probably outnumber Fedoras down here and that one looks to have a 3" or better width of brim, my guess is that it probably had some curl at the sides towards the front. But then a lot depends on it's age and when it was worn as to how much if at all. I recall some older men wearing Stetsons back 50 years ago with the brim very flat when I was younger. If it was mine I would put some curl to it but sadly it is not :)
The no. 1 looks to be from the mid '30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot