Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLACK LEATHER JACKETS are looking for pants ....please help!

Edward

Bartender
Corduroy of almost any color looks great with black leather. It's a nice combination of textures, besides being very traditional.

On this side of the Atlantic, moleskin and corduroy were both common, workwear fabrics prior to the popularisation of denim (which mostly happened in the UK much later than in the US). I also rather like a pair of dressier trousers with a leather jacket. Not, perhaps, a Perfecto or similar (though vintage ads do show even those worn with collar and tie), but halfbelts and such. I'm a fan of that Howard Hughes look which is basically a three piece suit, collar and tie, less the suit jacket and plus the leather jacket. Colour-wise, With black leather I like black, greys, mid to dark blues, burgundy, and greens, especially bottle green.

Windward

Practically Family
On this side of the Atlantic, moleskin and corduroy were both common, workwear fabrics prior to the popularisation of denim (which mostly happened in the UK much later than in the US). I also rather like a pair of dressier trousers with a leather jacket. Not, perhaps, a Perfecto or similar (though vintage ads do show even those worn with collar and tie), but halfbelts and such. I'm a fan of that Howard Hughes look which is basically a three piece suit, collar and tie, less the suit jacket and plus the leather jacket. Colour-wise, With black leather I like black, greys, mid to dark blues, burgundy, and greens, especially bottle green.

Thanks Edward - good idea, it reminds me seeing you with your bootlegger and dressier pants in front of a club. Best look! Opposites attract each other.

Edward

Bartender
Wjat's really fun is wearing a bow tied with a leather jacket. It's surprising how much it seems to confuse a lot of folks!

Windward

Practically Family
Wjat's really fun is wearing a bow tied with a leather jacket. It's surprising how much it seems to confuse a lot of folks!

Here's the real German Police from the 60th - black leather jackets, dress/uniform pants and ....tie!

BTW: The badge on the left sleeve is a silver "V" an award for special achievement in the fight against crime.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I like that look much better. Nowadays they basically look like soldiers. As if they were there to fight the people instead of serving and protecting. Gives me the creeps.

I really dig the Howard Hughes look as well. A nice deco sweater or fair isle sweater vest instead of the waistcoat works great, too.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

As an indication of how popular corduroys were, I recently read in Samuel Beckett's letters the line, "The Irish don't give a fart in their corduroys about art."

Edward

Bartender
I like that look much better. Nowadays they basically look like soldiers. As if they were there to fight the people instead of serving and protecting. Gives me the creeps.

Police here too are gonig through a dumbing down of their uniforms, from something not a million miels away from a miitary dress uniform and yet still distinctly different to something much more like combat dress. In the case of the Brits, it makes them look less authority figures, more like cheap, dodgy event security.

I really dig the Howard Hughes look as well. A nice deco sweater or fair isle sweater vest instead of the waistcoat works great, too.

Absolutely. Not my best trousers, but...

20141108_134715_zps2dcqmjoa.jpg

It's a look I kick around in a lot come Spring an Autumn. Ideal for the office, too, on more casual days (which for me are still more formal than most of my colleagues).

As an indication of how popular corduroys were, I recently read in Samuel Beckett's letters the line, "The Irish don't give a fart in their corduroys about art."

Ha, yeah... that's about the size of it.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Combat Pants guys, You might as well use those Extra cargo pockets for things other than Ammo.

At least they are good and useful for function.

I recommend the 70s Canadian Army Combat Cargo pants, they are nylon Shell with hemp weave, Dry fast and are breathable, and light weight, but wear out very fast. getting harder to find these days. I swear by them.

Plus OD Green is the only colour that actually Looks Better when its Really dirty IMO.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Combat Pants guys, You might as well use those Extra cargo pockets for things other than Ammo.

At least they are good and useful for function.

I recommend the 70s Canadian Army Combat Cargo pants, they are nylon Shell with hemp weave, Dry fast and are breathable, and light weight, but wear out very fast. getting harder to find these days. I swear by them.

Plus OD Green is the only colour that actually Looks Better when its Really dirty IMO.

I would recommend 5.11 Tactical trousers. I recently entered the security contracting world out here in Iraq and got them issued. Have to say I love them so much I bought two pairs of the Taclite ones! Not vintage by any means but so comfortable and practical for everyday wear and travel. If Indiana Jones was rebooted for the 21st century he would be wearing these!

IXL

One Too Many
^^^ These are about all I've been wearing since the early 1980s, back when the brand was "Royal Robbins." They were originally designed for mountain climbing, then were co-opted by law enforcement. At that point all the advertising started throwing out the "tactical" buzzword, and "5.11 Tactical" was born. "5.11" is even a mountaineering term.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
^^^ These are about all I've been wearing since the early 1980s, back when the brand was "Royal Robbins." They were originally designed for mountain climbing, then were co-opted by law enforcement. At that point all the advertising started throwing out the "tactical" buzzword, and "5.11 Tactical" was born. "5.11" is even a mountaineering term.

And there was me thinking they were brought in to satisfy the needs of private security contractors! They are great trousers though and the shirts are very good too. I bought three, all different ranges. The heavy cotton, the taclite and the covert. I find the taclite and the covert to be the easiest to wear as they are lighter and look okay without any ironing. The heavy cotton looks shabby in comparison, particularly in the black that I have.The lighter colours look better in that shirt. The hidden chest pockets are a great feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner