Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black longrider in goatskin from Alexander Leathers

Edward

Bartender
Pictures will confirm the fit. Can't really tell either way, ultimately, without seeing it worn. You're right re the skirt length issue in general, though.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
So I finally got it...it is disappointing but they got some things wrong.

The fit is too tight...OK with just a t-shirt but I don't think I could layer under it at all.

The got the lining wrong...moleskin instead of gabardine.

Finally they gave the wrong types of pockets for the inside pocket, unless this is my mistake.

A vertically angled pocket with the opening at the top and the end of the pocket underneath is a map pocket, correct? While a side pocket with the end of the pocket parallel to the opening is a gun pocket?

Either way, I got the side pockets and wanted vertical pockets, which I called map pockets. Even if I got the name wrong, it should have been clear I meant the vertical style from pictures i sent and conversations we had...

Will have to see how they handle it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^ Sorry to hear you're disappointed. Hope you get it right eventually or with your next purchase. If you decide to go another way, I suggest driving up to Vanson in Fall River, Mass, get measured and tell them EXACTLY what you want face to face.

Worf

Wow. Sounds familiar. That's too bad. I thought we had a good run of new jackets this week. Hopefully it gets worked out. Alas, not for Christmas.
Good luck getting it sorted.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
The fit isn't actually too bad...I'm just not used to halfbelts and forgot to loosen it...[huh]. It's still a wee bit tighter than I would like, but I can layer under it and assume it would mold to my body more...so that probably wouldn't be an issue.

The main things for me are the lining and pockets. Am I correct that the vertical pockets are called map pockets? I.E. this sort, without the pen pockets:

9087b.jpg

It really is a nice jacket...but I need these things rectified.

Worf - Thanks. Although since AL have made mistakes, I would assume I can send it back free of charge and they will rectify them, and sell the existing one on sale if they have to remake it?

I would post pics of the fit, but don't have a mirror or someone to take them at the moment.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
That picture above is not what I would call a map pocket...in the UK we generally tend to call this sort of thing "a pocket"......the "map pockets" in my waterproof jackets are all vertical zip entries (i.e. you shove stuff into them from the side not from above ) and big enough for an O.S map.... this is also the orientation of a "gun pocket"...

When you describe a "side" ( meaning "gun") pocket in your first post you say "the opening and the end are parallel" --but since that is the case for both gun/map and top opening pockets that won't have helped the maker to know what you meant...seems to be a bit of a failure of communication.

Last edited:

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Just thought I would include some more photos. They are not great, taken out of a tiny bathroom mirror from my camera phone....

The biggest change I noticed is how much thicker the goat seems from the lining I was sent. Not a bad thing, but still surprising.

K5DIMpp.jpg

Wondering if it's normal for the bi-swing to pop out like this...

8mqiMlM.jpg

gnYJPNZ.jpg

Vu0QNaX.jpg

iSPti4B.jpg

2fqmjt9.jpg

MqwG1I1.jpg

That picture above is not what I would call a map pocket...in the UK we generally tend to call this sort of thing "a pocket"......the "map pockets" in my waterproof jackets are all vertical zip entries (i.e. you shove stuff into them from the side not from above ) and big enough for an O.S map.... this is also the orientation of a "gun pocket"...

When you describe a "side" ( meaning "gun") pocket in your first post you say "the opening and the end are parallel" --but since that is the case for both gun/map and top opening pockets that won't have helped the maker to know what you meant...seems to be a bit of a failure of communication.

Interesting....I had thought on my reading here that a map pocket was top opening, not side opening...either way, I sent pictures of the type of pocket I wanted to be sure..., so thought they understood what I was after. Definitely the fault is on me to an extent though.

What is the general process for returns/refund/alterations?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks fine to me (yep the photos are terrible). Maybe a bit large in the shoulder but no problem. I think they pretty much made what you wanted with a couple of minor issues that wouldn't trouble me. Now what's your next jacket? The first one never pleases entirely and just starts the search for grail...

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Looks fine to me (yep the photos are terrible). Maybe a bit large in the shoulder but no problem. I think they pretty much made what you wanted with a couple of minor issues that wouldn't trouble me. Now what's your next jacket? The first one never pleases entirely and just starts the search for grail...

The only straight up mistake they made was the lining, which I could live with.

However, the pockets are basically useless to me, and while I may have said map pockets (which apparently means something else), I provided photos and described the type of pockets I wanted....so surprised they didn't note the contradiction.

The fit is also a problem. I took note of everyone on here saying to focus on fit, and took multiple measurements, with layers on and off to make sure I had the right measurements, and described the fit I want. However, it's just too tight in the shoulders....I have far less freedom of movement than both my other jackets that have no bi-swing.

My only option is to wait until they reopen and consider my options, cause I can't really use it at the moment, if nothing else the fit.

As for my next jacket...like I said originally, I'm unlike most members of FL in that I don't want multiple jackets. Just one high quality one. I've seen enough other threads from other users that I know I'm not alone in that.

I don't see a big issue though....this jacket is almost exactly what I want except for the few things I mentioned. So once those are fixed or it's remade, I'll have my grail jacket...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If they have to remake this one then you're already on your second jacket and part of aprocess that's almost inevitable. As for fit. You really need to give tested measurements to a company that you know work on other jackets because they are not psychics. How something fits is also subjective. One of my first jackets felt too tight and restrictive. In later years I learnt it was actually too big. What was new to me was wearing a robust leather jacket, the heaviness and cut of it was new and "felt" tight. Anyway.... you'll get there. Everyone does eventually. It took me about 8 jackets. I've bought dozens over the years.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
If they remake this one, I wouldn't count the first attempt as one of my jackets since I wouldn't be keeping it...

I was just saying I did my best to give them many measurements and make sure the fit was right. The only reason I can think it is wrong is because the longrider style is naturally slimmer and more restrictive, or they perhaps got it wrong...although I haven't measured it yet.

Instead of assuming the worst, going to try wearing it around the house a bit to see if it changes. I want to keep it as new as possible in case I send it back, but would also prefer to avoid sending it back altogether. If the fit comes out fine...then it's really just the lining and pockets, which I can live with/can be changed.

Will see how it develops.

Thanks again all.

Will post better body fit pics when I get a friend to take some.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Sorry Muy, that it is not exactly what you wanted. Could you post better pictures? For me the halfbelt looks very high and if you could not not use the straps the effect of the halfbelt is away.

For me it was a long way to get jackets that fit like i dreamed of.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would tend to agree with Gancho. Just looking at where your cinch straps are, the belt looks on the high side. If you've got the opportunity of a remake, I'd ask them to look at that.

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's interesting on the cinch straps ... as they look very similar to where the std Aero LHB ones are which is DaVinci ( read 1930's trouser) waist - hi waist - as oppposed to just above the "natural" waist ( where your trousers would fit in the current climate .. NOTE this is not where "kids" wear their trousers which is 1/2 way down their backsides .. or below their backsides in some cases :( ).

I had Aero lower mine 1 1/2" on my LHB in 2007 and it's right where I want it to be ... many on here think it's too low ( the distance between the bottom of the false belt and the bottom of the jacket on my LHB is 9" ... 10 1/2" on my AL Longrider whick is a 1 1/2" longer length jacket than my Aero LHB.)

I'm sure it'll get sorted out ... either way. Pity as it's a LOVELY jacket ... but if it doesn't suit now, then IMHO it never will so get it sorted rather than wearing it and hoping it'll stretch or something.

I still think that goat is stunning :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I thought that LHB's looked too high as well, tbh. My concern is a mechanical one rather than simple aesthetic, in that, if they were pulled in hard, it would potentially create a 'bell' around his middle. As ever, horses for courses, and if Muy's happy with the way the jacket sits and looks, that's what's important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy