Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
My Goldfinch arrived today and I'm very impressed. Mind you, my experience with hats is recent (starting last December) and my point of comparison has been new production Stetsons (Sutley, Temple & Stratoliner) and Borsalino (two soft light weight open crowns and a stiffer, thicker one--none has specific model names as far as I can tell). The principal differences with the BS custom that I see so far are as follows: much greater attention to detail--no imperfections of any sort; dramatically better ribbon work, no visible evidence of stitches, better color options, sizes, and treatment; better quality felt (I got the 100% beaver); and nice features such as an underwelt, a cool custom liner and my initials in the sweatband (the leather sweatband is of good quaility, too). The fit is genuinely perfect. Of course, custom allows you the ability to customize. And Bob sends a very nice hat box as well for storage.

Although I like the modern production hats I own and wear, I can now see that customs are the way to go to take the hat to an entirely better level of fit and finish. I'll post photos when I get a chance. Kudos to Bob Jesse, master hatter.

TomS

One Too Many
My Goldfinch arrived today and I'm very impressed. Mind you, my experience with hats is recent (starting last December) and my point of comparison has been new production Stetsons (Sutley, Temple & Stratoliner) and Borsalino (two soft light weight open crowns and a stiffer, thicker one--none has specific model names as far as I can tell). The principal differences with the BS custom that I see so far are as follows: much greater attention to detail--no imperfections of any sort; dramatically better ribbon work, no visible evidence of stitches, better color options, sizes, and treatment; better quality felt (I got the 100% beaver); and nice features such as an underwelt, a cool custom liner and my initials in the sweatband (the leather sweatband is of good quaility, too). The fit is genuinely perfect. Of course, custom allows you the ability to customize. And Bob sends a very nice hat box as well for storage.

Although I like the modern production hats I own and wear, I can now see that customs are the way to go to take the hat to an entirely better level of fit and finish. I'll post photos when I get a chance. Kudos to Bob Jesse, master hatter.

Bob does very nice work...

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
The new Black Sheep:

BlackSheep1.jpg

BlackSheep3.jpg

BlackSheep2.jpg

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen The color is pecan; it looks lighter in my cell phone photo than it is in person. The brim is 2.5", the ribbon triple pressed 2", the crown is 4.5" in front. It's not open crown.

TomS

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen The color is pecan; it looks lighter in my cell phone photo than it is in person. The brim is 2.5", the ribbon triple pressed 2", the crown is 4.5" in front. It's not open crown.

Just gorgeous, man.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think what he is asking is when spec'ing the hat, what was the open crown dimension before the crease was done?
Or did you just go with a standing order, which is typically 5 1/2" open crown?

Bingo, the reason I ask is that I usually go with a 5.75 inch open crown prior to the crease, but for the rough rider style I need to go to 6 inches.

Later Y'all

Barriowilly

New in Town
Bob called me yesterday afternoon to let me know my (Dave Holliday style) flat cap should be done next week, and we talked through a re-build he's doing for an older unshaped Biltmore fedora I picked up off eBay a few months back. What great customer service!! I'm excited to see my new hats!!

coble

A-List Customer
i'm happy to say i have a new blacksheep hat coming together. It was at the beginning going to be a 4 inch mossy green western felt. But i emailed Bob today to tell him after going back and forth on designs that i'd really like something special. Well, i told him what got me into hats and that was i was 15 years old getting into jazz and swing music, i was swing dancing and i got a cheapy godfather homburg that i had to put inserts in because i got the wrong size. Well it was my very first hat, so with inspiration to make a homburg with inspiration of a jazz and swing feel, custom dyed beaver felt, wide ribbon and wide binding, i can't wait to get my new hat. I also asked Bob if he could use the iron to roll the brim, its up to Bob on all of the styling, this hat will be a special hat, because i no longer have my first hat. Will post photos when i get them.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have several vintage hats and new Akubras and one custom hat from Bob.
I have to say that Bob's hat that I have has the best felt finish of all my hats. Even the Borsalino that I just fished out, while a very nice hat, is not as velvety smooth as Bob's Goldfinch fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24