Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackadder

Steve

Practically Family
With the upcoming resurgence of the Mr. Bean franchise, I've been watching some of Rowan Atkinson's old materials and I wanted to know if anyone else had fallen prey to the addiction that is Blackadder humor.

For those of you who don't know, Atkinson played the same character in various incarnations through four different periods of British history. The humor is sharp, intelligent, and almost always historically based. It's as British as can be. :)

This channel on YouTube is in the process of uploading the entire series. Seasons 3 and 4 were the best, IMO.

www.youtube.com/blackadder20

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was introduced to these when a friend of mine loaned me Blackadder the Third after I had two wisdom teeth removed; better than narcotics that show was. I had to pause the tape because I was laughing so hard. I like the second and third series best.

The boys in this series get a lot of (well deserved) praise but Miranda Richardson is so wonderful--she's completely insane in the best way.

I didn't see the fourth series until well after the others--darker but still good. The last episode made me cry.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I get annoyed seeing Hugh Laurie in "House" for the completely irrational reason that he was such a brilliant idiot in Blackadder. I mean, he was possibly the all time champion British Upper Class Twit of the Year in this series. And he was awfully good as Bertie Wooster, too.
It took me a little while to appreciate Rowan Atkinson, but once I was up to speed, I became an ardent fan.

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
I get annoyed seeing Hugh Laurie in "House" for the completely irrational reason that he was such a brilliant idiot in Blackadder. I mean, he was possibly the all time champion British Upper Class Twit of the Year in this series. And he was awfully good as Bertie Wooster, too.
It took me a little while to appreciate Rowan Atkinson, but once I was up to speed, I became an ardent fan.
Same here. I cannot warm up to House due to the same irrational feelings. [huh]

I can't warm up to House because it's a very unappealing show. I just don't care . . .

Blackadder, however, is fantastic. I want to see the first series again. The medieval blackadder is a bumbling idiot as i recall, not the suave, sophisticated ladies man of the later series'.

The way he says the word "Bob" for the first time in the second series is perhaps one of the funniest moments in the history of British TV comedy

bk

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Same here. I cannot warm up to House due to the same irrational feelings. [huh]

That makes three of us. Thanks to Blackadder, I can't watch House at all. Hugh's just so delightfully funny when he plays daft gentry.

And don't forget the Celebrity Challenge episode of The Young Ones where Hugh played Lord Monty. Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtUzjurOYN4

Up Scumbag!

I like Season 4 of Blackadder the best. I think because Stephen Fry is in that season and because I love the episode where Rik Mayall plays Lord Flashheart.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Black Adder is amazing. Seasons 2 and 3 are the best.

Jeeves and Wooster is the best of the comedies in this vein though, at least in my opinion!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Stephen Fry is in all of them except series 1.

bk

I meant to type "because Stephen Fry is in Season 4 a lot." When I went back to edit my original post, I think I deleted that part accidentally.

At any rate, it's all brilliant stuff, Season 1, 2, 3, or 4...

I was just also thinking of the episode of Blackadder Goes Forth where they dress up Hugh Laurie as a woman for a talent show and Stephen Fry's character falls in love with Hugh as a woman. That and the on-going slug balancing joke with Baldrick makes me laugh every time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
While I love him in Blackadder, all his other stuff leaves me cold. [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Blackadder Goes Forth (WW1) video of Lord Flashart, God's gift to women!!

But on thinking further, it occured to me that 'graveyard' humour was part and parcel of the daily grind of men and women getting through such awful experiences. Also TODAY, via using humour, it is a great tool for encouraging those that might not naturally be interested in something like the Great War, become interested. For example, watch this now infamous clip on the shootin down of Lord Flashart (RFC) from "Blackadder Goes Forth..."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4BbaxGSQh0

catspyjamas

New in Town
Can I say it ? I cried at the end of the last episode when they went over the top of the trenches...I've got such a marshmallow streak though.

Read somewhere that during WWI the Germans were puzzled beyond belief because there was a British regiment that, during the attack coming out of their trenches, shouted "Marmalade !" instead of "Charge !"... The Germans couldn't understand how anyone could find humour in death.

catspyjamas

New in Town
dhermann1 said:

I watch House over here and frankly, I'm addicted to it. I think Hugh Laurie is amazing. The fact that he can bring that kind of character to life just emphasizes what a brilliant actor he is. He was and is a good "bumbling" actor too but perhaps it is time for him to get out of being typecast anyway ?

One thing that did surprise me "unpleasantly" was when I saw House in english...I'm so used to his British accent (from the other BBC series) it was weird hearing him speak "american". Watching House in french, I didn't realise how different he could sound in reality.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
While I loved all of the Blackadder series, and even the Christmas episode. I'd have to say I enjoyed the second and third seasons the best. Our PBS station plays at least one series every year.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Loved all 4 series. And like most was about in tears as they went over the top.

As to hugh Laurie. It is due to his role here as well as Bertie Wooster that I am glued to House. I just think he is brillent.

Marq

Familiar Face
i have a cunning plan my lord lol.I love black adder and have watched it time and time again.My favorite series was the Queen Elizabeth I ones but the last series when they actually go over the top was funny and sad and got you where it hurts.Strange how they managed to capture the raw humour of the first world war Troops.I know because my great uncle was in the Somme and had a strange sense of humour over the whole thing.His attitude was when your clock strikes your gone funny cos he lived to 103 and got his telegram from the queen..................Paul

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
ENfield3-8303 said:
While I loved all of the Blackadder series, and even the Christmas episode. I'd have to say I enjoyed the second and third seasons the best. Our PBS station plays at least one series every year.

I agree.

Black Adder was the only time I ever liked Hugh Laurie, and he was brilliant in it.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic: Heh, actually, I've rather enjoyed Hugh Laurie in everything I've seen. I actually like the "House" character-He's a skilled, competent and all too human a$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails