Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

block?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I been trying to get a hat block in my size off eBay for a little while now but it usually goes to high for my liking. Some of you have been following my hat fixing/shaping craziness ... what can I say, I dig the challenge & it's fun plus I get the satisfaction of wearing my finished project. I appreciate the great tips from the gurus on here, you guys are the best.
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg

I found this huge mason jar in the back of the kitchen closet yesterday when I was cleaning, the widest circumference is 21 1/2 inches .. the measurement around my noggin is 22 1/4 .. so it works. I also have a lens from an old photo enlarger, that I use as a paper weight, for the crown.
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg

The first on the block was the Stetson Sovereign I traded my NOS Resistol 990 Kitten Finish for.
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg

The second on the block was the Resistol Saddler that was controversial .. I worked on it a bit more to relax the front pinch & gave it a bit more height.

I'll get a proper block in my size .. but till then I think that this McGyver setup will work just fine!
Cross_Fingers.png

----------------
Now playing: Dandy Warhols, the - Plan A
via FoxyTunes

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Pretty crafty there, Wil. In the past, I've used a surplus coffee pot in much the same way. I figured it could take the heat from ironing from the other side and it filled out the crown enough to allow me to smooth areas in need.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
VERY MacGyver, Wil Tam! Well done. :eusa_clap I've been looking at these, just because I'm not all that crafty, but your solution definitely has more flair.

jpbales

Practically Family
one thing I've been thinking about doing is simply making my own block. The only thing is that if I were making my own hat from scratch, I would need a flange too (which I have no idea how to make, and no money to buy one). If you have the tools (a good sander and a saw to cut the wood) then you can probably make a nice one all on your own, and it can be your size and any shape you like. Here's a good link I found to making a hat block:
http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=20997

that's some good craftiness there tho! So do you use it to simply re-shape the mis-shapen sides of the hat? I guess you're probably not completely re-blocking the hats.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Thanks Fellas

I just found it the other day, I was looking at real wooden blocks on the bay and I almost had one in my size but got sniped in the last seconds [huh].

I'm just following advice from all of you guys & thought this has the right shape & width to keep the taper from tightening into a cone as it dried after a dunking, and guess what? I works beautifully... I go that extra step with tightening a belt around the base, where the crown becomes the brim and just let it dry into a 'proper?' open crown .. then I either dry bash or mist bash it.

so if that is considered a 're-block' then it is ... my version anyway, until someone in the know with mad skillz tells me other wise ... but it is glass so I really need to be careful and if I want to use steam on the hat, the opening in the jar is wide enough for me to stick an oven mitt plus my hand into it. Although I am thinking of borrowing my sisters steam cleaner, I may just jury-rig a tube & nozzle to my tea kettle. ;)

----------------
Now playing: Dandy Warhols, the - The Last High
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
that site is so cool!

jpbales said:
one thing I've been thinking about doing is simply making my own block. The only thing is that if I were making my own hat from scratch, I would need a flange too (which I have no idea how to make, and no money to buy one). If you have the tools (a good sander and a saw to cut the wood) then you can probably make a nice one all on your own, and it can be your size and any shape you like. Here's a good link I found to making a hat block:
http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=20997

that's some good craftiness there tho! So do you use it to simply re-shape the mis-shapen sides of the hat? I guess you're probably not completely re-blocking the hats.

thanks for the link, I just joined ... same name as here :D

----------------
Now playing: Dandy Warhols, the - Scientist
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace