Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Landman

One Too Many
Worf, I agreed. I think this show is great. I love the blend of real characters with fictional characters and a fictional story line ... and of course,the hats!

Okay, is Eli selling out Nucky to save his son? If so, I hope Nucky shoots Eli before he goes down. For my money, Nucky should never have trusted Eli again anyway.

And if, as Worf says, Chalky White is a fictitious character, how did they come up his outrageous name - is that based on some historical name or a play on a historical name - it has to be?

Final thought, my money is on Chalky taking down Dr. Narcisses (it's amazing how you can find yourself rooting for the less-bad, more human bad guy over the arrantly bad, bad guy).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Welp, Nucky Thompson was real, as are all the major gangsters.. Capone, O'Banion, Massaria, Rothstien, Lansky, Luciano etc.. I think Chalkie White is ficitious as are most of the other characters.

Worf

Well, Nucky Thompson wasn't real.....but Enoch (Nucky) L. Johnson was.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_L._Johnson

The show uses many aspects of the Real Nucky's life to portray a fictional character named Nucky Thompson. Nucky Johnson really did have a wife names Mabel who died, really did serve as county treasurer, etc.....

emigran

Practically Family
Great show... I thought Chalky was gonna buy it last night... "Daughter" sure has a great voice... and I love that you get to hear the opening "verse" of some of those old tunes. How about " Does Your spearmint (chewing gum) lose it's flavor on the bedpost over night. Anyone remember that one ??... don't know if Eli is gonna sell out either... Nucky's new moll sure is one, eh!?!?

I thought Chalkie's little "street play" was great. "Harlem by Torchlight"! Great!

Worf

Chalky is great, and there was no way in hell they were going to kill him off like that. I was happy to see it end the way it did. Man, there's a plethora of doubt and crazy characters this season. Really loving where the show is going. And I want "The Dr." to go the way of the crazy Sicilian last year. Eli has me worried mainly because he's so jealous/hateful towards his brother. He wants his son to lookup to him, but right now, it's not going his way...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Okay, is Eli selling out Nucky to save his son? If so, I hope Nucky shoots Eli before he goes down. For my money, Nucky should never have trusted Eli again anyway.

And if, as Worf says, Chalky White is a fictitious character, how did they come up his outrageous name - is that based on some historical name or a play on a historical name - it has to be?

Final thought, my money is on Chalky taking down Dr. Narcisses (it's amazing how you can find yourself rooting for the less-bad, more human bad guy over the arrantly bad, bad guy).

Chalky could be/probably is one of those derisive nicknames often given to Blacks in that era, by Whites and other Blacks as well. A particularly dark person would be called "snowflake", "chalky' or "milky" anything to call attention to their obvious pigmentation. Of course Chalky is soooo badass he dares you almost to call him that to his face. If you notice NO Blacks call Chalky "Chalky" to his face! It's always Mr. White.

Worf

I would always call him Mr. White... I like living!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great episode. Things are starting to get GOOD! Unfortunately, this is the second time they've had a main character saved at the last minute by a character off screen. The entire fight I was thinking "So when will Daughter kill Purnsley?".
Speaking of Daughter, my goodness....I'm in love.

Great episode. Things are starting to get GOOD! Unfortunately, this is the second time they've had a main character saved at the last minute by a character off screen. The entire fight I was thinking "So when will Daughter kill Purnsley?".
Speaking of Daughter, my goodness....I'm in love.

Yeah. I hear ya.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The point of daugther doing in Purnsley is that she knows the Doctor sent him to kill Mr. White. She is breaking the spell that Narcisses has had on her.
As he killed her mother and she is starting to realise he doent's have her best interest in mind.

Landman

One Too Many
Well, Nucky Thompson wasn't real.....but Enoch (Nucky) L. Johnson was.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_L._Johnson

The show uses many aspects of the Real Nucky's life to portray a fictional character named Nucky Thompson. Nucky Johnson really did have a wife names Mabel who died, really did serve as county treasurer, etc.....

One of the real characters in the show is Arnold Rothstein. He ended up being murdered in 1928 over a gambling debt. I wonder if they will work that into the show.

Chalky could be/probably is one of those derisive nicknames often given to Blacks in that era, by Whites and other Blacks as well. A particularly dark person would be called "snowflake", "chalky' or "milky" anything to call attention to their obvious pigmentation. Of course Chalky is soooo badass he dares you almost to call him that to his face. If you notice NO Blacks call Chalky "Chalky" to his face! It's always Mr. White.

Worf

I would always call him Mr. White... I like living!

Very good insight - I had a feeling there was a historical touchpoint - but you knew the real story and details. Good catch on the other black characters always calling him Mr. White. The only thing I would add to your address would be that I would call him Mr. White, Sir.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
One of the real characters in the show is Arnold Rothstein. He ended up being murdered in 1928 over a gambling debt. I wonder if they will work that into the show.

I think they have been leading up to that this season as his charactor has been sepeading alot of time Gambling and losing big time.
Would not surprise me at all.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Again I ask... Where's "The Dutchman"? Where's "Legs Diamond"? Legs was mentioned in passing but that's it. These guys were big names in their day. Also does anybody else suspect that there's another reason why Johnny Handsome is spending all that time and effort to clean up a junky whore?

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL