Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube_share;gc7FDNEpqnE]http://youtu.be/gc7FDNEpqnE[/video]
Last week's inside the episode finally posted on YouTube.

An this week's Inside the episode.
[video=youtube_share;j-L8WgpDaJs]http://youtu.be/j-L8WgpDaJs[/video]

Best line of Season 3 Episode 5 ...

Margaret, on quite accidentally running into Nucky (who said he'd be in New York) and Billie, his latest trollop, in the dress shop, while she was out handing out fliers promoting her women's health classes ...

Margaret turns her back on the two of them and makes for the door, then turns around and hands a flier to Billie and says ...

"I doubt that you're free in the evening, but ... "

Doublegun

Practically Family
The story could be just as effective without the kinky-sex stuff. (Gaspers, really?) I thought the season started strong but has fallen back into the Season 1 rut of blah, blah; Margaret; blah, blah; mistress; blah, blah; kinky sex scene; violent/graphic killing(s) scene; end of episode.

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed the season started strong but has taken a bit of a dip.
The producers of the show seem hellbent on showing that folks back then are "just like us". People have sex..we know. Give it a rest already. I'm sure 20s folks wiped their rear ends too. Maybe we'll get some toilet action next.
Gyp's erotic asphyxiation struck me as a very shark jumping moment. Hope I'm wrong..

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed the season started strong but has taken a bit of a dip.
The producers of the show seem hellbent on showing that folks back then are "just like us". People have sex..we know. Give it a rest already. I'm sure 20s folks wiped their rear ends too. Maybe we'll get some toilet action next.
Gyp's erotic asphyxiation struck me as a very shark jumping moment. Hope I'm wrong..

Ah HBO....remember Richie Aprile and the cheese grater? If you don't, Google it if you dare.

It reminded me of last year's "American Horror Story". It IS a great show, but they feel the need to load it up with gay (men and women) sex scenes as well as self-fun. I just don't need it - not a prude - but it adds NOTHING to the show. Sorry, old man rant over...

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
I've really tried to like this show but I'm close to giving up on it. During season 1 they really showed a lot of skin. To me it didn't seem like the most effective way to tell the story. It seemed to be sex scenes grafted onto the show to get viewers.

In season 2 the number of characters exploded and we were dealing with the people in Philadelphia. It felt like they were moving a lot of pieces around on a chess board and there were so many moves it was hard to keep track. One aspect of the show is that there are characters in Atlantic City, New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Half the time when the the dialogue was referring to characters off screen it was difficult to know who they were talking about. It has become rather confusing to the point that it is hard to keep track of people's motivations. For example, this season, when Richard killed the Polish gangster in Philadelphia I couldn't figure out exactly what his motivation was for doing it.

Van Alden has just run off the rails. I'm not even sure what city he is supposed to be in now. If they are going to turn him into a crook and get him tied up in one of the gangs they are taking way too long to do it. I can only take so many scenes of him selling irons.

I can't figure out why the writers took that detour about Chalky's daughter's suitor. That just looks like a dead end and a waste of time.

Kinky? Really?

It's like you guys are suggesting that belts are made for holding up one's pants. Who woulda thunk?

It's getting so that what keeps me watching this show is its over-the-top campiness. I get treated to a make-believe bloodbath every episode along with all the cool period attire and settings (the fidelity of which is kinda hit and miss, but still ... ) and characters befitting a daytime soap opera.

Good clean fun, all in all.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I really liked this show for the first two season, I didn't like Jimmy (he always seemed the the actor and character had sneeked in from a Twilight film...) so no tears shed when he died. However, this season's attempt to become Sopranos with hats and celuloid collars is starting to grate on me. Too many scenes with needless fake tension and artifical conflicts between characters.

Nucky (or Gyp or Capone or Rothstein): "Why are you wearing that tie/walking here/talking now/stealing from me/calling me/buying me ice cream/have your hat cocked to the left?"

Character X: "I just thought you'd like..."

Nucky: "Well you thought wrong!"

Character X: "Well I didn't want to make you angry..."

Nucky: "Angry are you sayin' I got anger problems?"

Character X: "No that'd be crazy for me to say that..."

Nucky: "Crazy you calling me crazy? Why ..."

etc. I find it very tiring when the whole episode is a collection of one on one scenes of people accusing each other of things so we get some witty put downs and then having half of them "explode" so we have some Sopranos violence (Why yes Gyp gets angry quick and kills people, you didn't notice that last episode, let us show you again and again...). Episode four was really bad for this... Even the doctor and the lady from the hospital act this way...

Three stooges conflict escalation...

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
It reminded me of last year's "American Horror Story". It IS a great show, but they feel the need to load it up with gay (men and women) sex scenes as well as self-fun. I just don't need it - not a prude - but it adds NOTHING to the show. Sorry, old man rant over...
I feel the same thing. Most of the sex scenes doesn't further the plot at all, so they're rather pointless to me. If the characters are visiting a brothel or a stripclub (in a more modern series obviously) I'd expect some scantily clad women, and that's fine, but I really don't need to watch them have sex all the friggin time y'know? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't need to have it rubbed in my face in every episode :p

Wesley Milton Dagwell

New in Town
These shows are under rather enormous pressure to justify their rather enormous budgets with cable-sized viewerships. You must forgive them a little skin, there are so many examples of shows that failed because they didn't do that, or do that enough. Carnivale, for instance.

So what's gonna happen when Nucky figures out the Owen and Margaret thing? The character is allegedly a bright guy, but the husband is always the last to know, right?

The historical figure the character Nucky is based on did indeed spend some time in the joint, so maybe that's what'll save Owen's (fill in the blank).

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You folks complaining about it don't seem to understand that it is literally HBO's method of brand identification - they often shove in completely gratuitous nudity and sex (and occasionally some extra-explicit violence) to let you know that, "It's not TV, it's HBO". They feel that they constantly have to prove that their shows are "racier" than broadcast and basic cable fare... even though it really doesn't matter the way it did in the past, when broadcast shows were much more subdued than now.

It makes me glad that Mad Men is on basic cable rather than premium cable: even though there's (obviously) lots of sex, the storytelling virtually never stops for unnecessary explicitness.

And it continues...
HBO has a knack for making séx completely unappealing to me. I'm not a prude, believe me, but the show seems to be stalled. I know, now we will have a baby Jimmy. And Nucky's wife is researching birth control - wonder why? It's getting a tad stupid. I hope it picks back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot