Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Inside for episode 6.

[video=youtube_share;_AFshGHosGc]http://youtu.be/_AFshGHosGc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;uyw8ObUoDts]http://youtu.be/uyw8ObUoDts[/video]

This coming Sunday's show

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
This is a photo of the Des Moines Paramount. It was demolished in 1979.

8122564292_486cd371c5_z.jpg

Blue Mouse Theater (opened in 1923) in the Proctor District of Tacoma, Wash., which is itself perhaps one of the least understood, most under-rated cities in the country. I've never lived there myself, but I've found myself spending more and more time there.

bluemouse-old.jpg

buildingfront.jpg

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here in Teaneck about 5 minutes car ride from my house we have this place:
Opening around 1936
teanecktheater.jpg

Old days:
teaneckkids_1942.jpg

Recently
clc_marquee_2010.jpg

5043140009_43c563d17b.jpg

They do silent movies with a live organist occasionally. I haven't had a chance to go to one of those shows yet but I'd like to try it some time.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Although I miss Jimmy, I am satisfied with the direction this season is going. It's not perfect, but I am not troubled by a lot of things folks in this thread have identified. It's a 2010s series telling a 2010s story using characters and figures from the 1920s.

One of the difficulties with a product like this is keeping tabs on such a large ensemble casts. I do find the addition of Stephen Root as Gaston Means a pleasant addition.

I might be alone in this, but I also find Margaret's storyline really fascinating. Her political maneuverings and affair with Owen are setting her up to be a stronger character, on par with Nucky. The women's health theme also a nice bookend and contrast to the Women's Christian Temperance movement from season 1.

davidraphael

Practically Family
This is the Longford / Essoldo cinema in Stretford, Manchester UK. I passed it every day as a child.

Opened in Oct 1936, the debut film screened was ‘Tudor Rose’ (Nine Days a Queen) starring Nova Pilbeam and John Mills.
Entrance tickets ranged from 1s 6d (1 shilling and 6 pence) for a seat in the stalls to 3s for a seat in the circle.

It was the first building in Britain to be illuminated by neon tube lighting.

Apart from necessary closures during WWII it was finally closed as a cinema in 1965. It was converted into a bingo hall in 70s but then closed again after a dual-carriageway was built right in front of it. A real shame.
It still lies dormant and decaying. Luckily, it has been designated a 'grade 2 listing building,' which affords it some protection.

5B3T_H.jpg
C_71_article_1205034_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg

photo.jpg

motage.jpg
img_0431.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
We're lucky enough to have the Alabama Theater in Birmingham. Built in 1927 by Paramount Studios, it mostly serves as a live music venue these days (I saw both Stevie Ray Vaughan and Lyle Lovett there) but still regularly screens classic films several times a month. This month they are doing several classic horror films including a double bill of Universal's Frankenstein and Dracula, The Birds, and Young Frankenstein. The have noir nights occasionally too.
Below is a Golden Era photo of the place , and photos of how it looks today both inside and out. It underwent a complete restoration in 1998.
alabamatheater.jpg
alabama_theater.JPG

4748937043_f8d41241a3_z.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
This is the Longford / Essoldo cinema in Stretford, Manchester UK. I passed it every day as a child.

Opened in Oct 1936, the debut film screened was ‘Tudor Rose’ (Nine Days a Queen) starring Nova Pilbeam and John Mills.
Entrance tickets ranged from 1s 6d (1 shilling and 6 pence) for a seat in the stalls to 3s for a seat in the circle.

It was the first building in Britain to be illuminated by neon tube lighting.

Apart from necessary closures during WWII it was finally closed as a cinema in 1965. It was converted into a bingo hall in 70s but then closed again after a dual-carriageway was built right in front of it. A real shame.
It still lies dormant and decaying. Luckily, it has been designated a 'grade 2 listing building,' which affords it some protection.

5B3T_H.jpg
C_71_article_1205034_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg

motage.jpg

You beat me to it, I was about to post this! I live 5 minutes walk away from here and pass it every day on the way to work. I think it's an amazing building and would love to see inside it (I'd also like to see more photos of it in its hay-day). My partner hates it though! Supposedly it's designed to look like a cash register! As far as I know, the current owner can't afford to restore it, but loves it dearly and is desperately trying to protect it.

The Stockport Plaza is a great example of what can be achieved:http://www.stockportplaza.co.uk/

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
Yes, it's a great building and should be preserved.

Here's a bit more about the design:

"They employed architect Henry Elder to design the new building. Alder’s architecture was the at the height of art deco fashion; the main entrance on Chester Road was designed in the shape of a cash register flanked by two phallic symbols and the side entrance on Edge Lane was surmounted by a third phallic symbol, these represented Alder’s view that the modern film industry was dominated by money and sex."

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LOVE the before-and-afters!!

The Royal Theatre, South Street, Philly
"America's Finest Coloured Photoplay House"
Opened in 1920, closed 1970.

getimage.exe

1972, shortly after it closed

4166504724_627c311abe_o.jpg

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Proctors Theatre - Fourth Street, Troy NY
Was built in 1914 for Vaudeville performances, the owner also had another Proctors Theatre built in the City of Schenectady - about 30 minutes from Troy. Proctors Troy closed in the 70s and has been since. Since it has closed it has fallen into disrepair and was bought by local college - RPI. It still sits frozen in time, paint peeling, and ceiling falling on the interior.

624231212-proctrs-theatr4-600x419.jpg

ProctorsTroy.jpg

Did this Julia Sagorsky character get written into the script to provide a love interest for Richard Harrow? I'm wondering what other reason there could be to have Richard meet the young woman's drunken, damaged father at the American Legion hall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy