Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Al Niente said:
When do we have to "officially" put them away?

Modern usage has summer clothing (i.e. "white shoes") forbidden after Labor Day. Traditionally, September 15 was more like it.

I treat this period as discretionary: I wore a panama and bucs on Tuesday, because it was 80 degrees, but I've been wearing felt since, as it's been cooler.

-Dave

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Labor Day and Straw Hats

David Conwill said:
Modern usage has summer clothing (i.e. "white shoes") forbidden after Labor Day. Traditionally, September 15 was more like it.

I treat this period as discretionary: I wore a panama and bucs on Tuesday, because it was 80 degrees, but I've been wearing felt since, as it's been cooler.

-Dave
Do you think that the "Labor Day" rule applies in central Florida or the caribbean (where it can be 95 degrees in November) with respect to straw hats?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Rodkins said:
Do you think that the "Labor Day" rule applies in central Florida or the caribbean (where it can be 95 degrees in November) with respect to straw hats?

No. I'm speaking of north of the Mason-Dixon line. I know nothing of Southern or Tropical traditions. I would assume on the equator, straw and linen are appropriate year round.

-Dave

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
No. I'm speaking of north of the Mason-Dixon line. I know nothing of Southern or Tropical traditions. I would assume on the equator, straw and linen are appropriate year round.

-Dave
Thanks for your advice/input. :)

Boodles

A-List Customer
End of the hurricane season.

Al Niente said:
When do we have to "officially" put them away?

Where I live in North Carolina and especially around the NC/SC coast, it's the end of the hurricane season before we drydock the seersuckers and boaters (The two of us who wear boaters). This, of course does not include the big-city uptown bankers.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A year later and still fun to wear. :D
100_5882.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

hag

New in Town
boater

I have a lovely vintage Berkeley Boater. I wear it on the 4th of July, but I confess, it is the goofiest style ever made. Give me my snap-brim fedora or my bowler!

This one had been collecting dust (and calling my name) in a local junktique shop, until yesterday, when the shop's owner knocked a substantial amount off the marked price.

It's in nice shape, and it almost fits. I strongly suspected that it wouldn't remain in such a condition had it remained in that shop a whole lot longer. So I gave it a good home.

It's old, surely. And guesses as to just how old?

IMGP2053.jpg

IMGP2052.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I exchanged e-mails with the management at Henry the Hatter in Detroit, and now have a calendared appointment to call them in late March 2011 to check on their shipment of Italian boaters.

I just purchased two seersucker suits for next year, so I’ve got to acquire appropriate headgear. ;)

-Dave

Al Niente

Familiar Face
David Conwill said:
I exchanged e-mails with the management at Henry the Hatter in Detroit, and now have a calendared appointment to call them in late March 2011 to check on their shipment of Italian boaters.

I just purchased two seersucker suits for next year, so I’ve got to acquire appropriate headgear. ;)

-Dave
I bought one of their boaters (Tesi) this summer. Lots of compliments. You are going to enjoy it very much.

Ottmar Reich Boater

Ottmar Reich Boater that measures around 59cm (1963) and in super condition. Ottmar Reich (and this area of Germany) were known for producing straw hats. I really like the ribbon/bow work on this one. Great overall workmanship.

5078284043_5fbaa5da84_b.jpg

5078289627_2c6fd120f6_b.jpg

5078275901_ac76f3917a_b.jpg

5078869458_f85135432c_b.jpg

5078869290_8c7b70454b_b.jpg

5078869344_660f79ae9f_b.jpg

5078869398_15b6146a8f_b.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
this is the best one yet superlative workmanship and exacting details from the marbled liner to the suspended hatband with a bow of its own and one on the net that suspends it , the extra fine frayed bow on the ribbon , and it looks like somekind of under welt or cavanagh edge for straw going on under the brim, all in a hat that looks allmost brand new. only the patina on the gold lettering on the head liner prove its not a forgery.
do you mind if i ask what size it is? opps i just noticed the size 59cm heh.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner