Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
20110601_0542.jpg

20110601_0543.jpg

20110601_0544.jpg

20110601_0547.jpg

Nice hat Mike.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Photobucket has taken to trying to turn your photos into hotlinks back to Photobucket. I guess it's a marketing thing. You can edit out all the "<a href=" garbage and just leave the address for the photo itself between the IMG tags to get them to work on here.

-Dave

Buffalonian boater from the Kleinhans Company

Straw boater sold through the Kleinhans Company.

boater3.jpg

wind trolley:

boater4.jpg

boater2.jpg

I was surprised how nice these feels on the head.

boater1.jpg

boater5.jpg

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Alan,

this boater is to die for! I always wanted to buy a boater or at least a bowler for myself, but i always refused to do so - because I know I wouldn't be tough enough to wear them in public. But perhaps sometime... Are you wearing boaters outside?

Thanks RLK... is this weave a different material than the typical straw boater?

Henry, I try to limit my collecting to hats that fit and to styles that I would wear outside the house, at least sometimes. I've been tempted to bid on a few boaters on ebay but have held back, thinking that finding a good fit would be a challenge. I expect that boaters, like bowlers, either fit or they don't... not much chance of adjusting with my home steamer and stretcher. When I found this one yesterday and tried it on, it fit like a glove. I couldn't leave it behind. It was very reasonably priced as well. Thanks for your note!

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Alan,

this boater is to die for! I always wanted to buy a boater or at least a bowler for myself, but i always refused to do so - because I know I wouldn't be tough enough to wear them in public. But perhaps sometime... Are you wearing boaters outside?

Henry,
I have 4 Boaters and if my clothes match the occasion to wear a boater, I do. In my area NOONE wears a hat unless it's a cowboy hat or baseball cap. I notice an occasional stare but I walk on. I'm far from an extrovert but I see no reason why anyone should stare. I'm not wearing anything obscene or offensive. It's only a damn straw hat. Stop worrying and put the hat on and go about your life. If you look like you have balls people will stay far enough away from you so you can't hear their dumbass comments.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Thank you, jswindle2, you're absolutely right! I really should stop worrying and wear the suits or hats I want to wear. I think I'm going to buy myself a boater soon...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I went to visit the FBI earlier this week (not as exciting as it sounds). Seems like everybody and Wikipedia says that the FBI wore straw boaters as some kind of unofficial uniform in the 1930s (seems unlikely to me), but there certainly weren’t any in evidence circa 2011.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
I went to visit the FBI earlier this week (not as exciting as it sounds). Seems like everybody and Wikipedia says that the FBI wore straw boaters as some kind of unofficial uniform in the 1930s (seems unlikely to me), but there certainly weren’t any in evidence circa 2011.

-Dave

It does indeed sound unlikely to me, though if true it would be ironic that it was Dillinger's hat of choice when they shot him.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
It does indeed sound unlikely to me, though if true it would be ironic that it was Dillinger's hat of choice when they shot him.

I have a book with pics from the 20's and 30's, there are three photos in which the FBI were raiding a speakeasy, all FBI men were in Boaters.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Speaking of Mobsters: I just found a picture of Jack "Machine Gun" McGurn (considered to be the "chief organizer" of the Valentines-Day Massacre February 14, 1929) wearing a beautiful boater:

1e5d0730.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I kind of assumed the idea came from the fact that the straw boater was common summer headgear in the early days of the FBI, so those looking at pictures of agents in those days would see them. If one wasn’t aware the population in general was wearing the same headgear, one might think it was a uniform.

This is the same mentality that results in your average Joe thinking only Al Capone wore fedoras and double-breasted suits.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
I kind of assumed the idea came from the fact that the straw boater was common summer headgear in the early days of the FBI, so those looking at pictures of agents in those days would see them. If one wasn’t aware the population in general was wearing the same headgear, one might think it was a uniform.

This is the same mentality that results in your average Joe thinking only Al Capone wore fedoras and double-breasted suits.

-Dave

Yes, I should think so. I love monbla256's photo!

Must get some photos of my latest Boater - it's a Christies, sold as "vintage" on eBay (no idea of actual age). Mint condition, nice high crown.

Eagle Straw Works

Yeddo style boater from San Francisco. Unfortunately it will not be a wearer... too small. The seller's measurement of 22" was an inch or so generous for this true 6 3/4. Still, a nice early example with a beautiful liner imprint. Only reference I can find to the maker is an 1890 want ad from the San Francisco Morning Call.

eagle5.jpg

eagle4.jpg

eagle3.jpg

eagle2.jpg

eagle1.jpg

chronicle2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much AL, a few chips in the straw, but overall it is in very good condition. It was surprisingly hard to photograph the patina, which is a little darker and browner than in the photos. Wish it fit... but what was I thinking, marked two sizes too small!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR