Wonderful!Here is my most recent straw. A Yeddo boater by Hummingbird Hats. I had the ribbon replaced. Any helpful information on Hummingbird Hats, the sweatband logo, or the age would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 395716 View attachment 395717 View attachment 395718 View attachment 395719 View attachment 395720 View attachment 395721 View attachment 395722 View attachment 395723 View attachment 395724 View attachment 395729
A few before pics….My very first Boater!
View attachment 401964
Wormser Premier Quality Boater
3 1/2 inch Crown
1 3/4 blue and black ribbon
2 3/4 front 2 1/2 sides brim
I’ve had a passing interest in adding a boater at some point if the right one came along. This one however happened to be included with the Hopkins Panama so it kinda came in the back door. I knew going in this boater was going to need a little work to flatten its brim as the sellers photos showed a small bend. However the sellers photos did not even come close to showing how badly bent and somewhat cracked the brim was. I’m not sure if it got worse in shipping or if was just a shortcoming of the photos… as I couldn’t quite represent the damage even in my own photographs. Either way the brim was bent almost to a 45 degree angle in spots and the straw layers were separated like a Pillsbury flaky biscuit.
So my first experience with a boater turns out is in a reshaping exercise. I figured since the brim was so badly bent and already starting to crack…. I needed either a tremendous amount of steam…. Or actual get it wet to soften up the brim. I chose the later and just quickly ran both sides of the brim under the faucet which softened up the straw some. I then placed the brim flat down on the counter and slowly pressed it into a more flat shape. I then took my iron on highest setting with steam… placed a piece of parchment paper In between the brim and the iron to avoid burning the straw and worked my way around the hat pressing and flattening all the way round. Steaming out as much of the moisture around the way as possible as well. When it was done I set it out in the sun flat down on the brim to dry. Flipping it occasionally at it firmed up.
I did end up with a little bit of discoloration which is not too surprising but all and all I am very happy with the results. It might could use another ironing and maybe a dab of glue here or there for the long haul. But considering I was already figuring worst case scenario was that I steal the ribbon and sweat for another project… I’m gonna deem this one a success! “Happy Boating”
View attachment 401963View attachment 401965View attachment 401966View attachment 401967View attachment 401968View attachment 401969View attachment 401970View attachment 401971View attachment 401972