Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater or Panama?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I had one boater at the prom dance in 1991 - our class performed a charleston. Ever since I had a few wheat straws.
However since I had a few montecristi and one cuenca I would never go another way.
Boaters look good on people who want to evoke the 1870s-1920s but thats all.
Panama hats with their multiple blocks are much more timeless. Panama Fedoras look great.

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I had one boater at the prom dance in 1991 - our class performed a charleston. Ever since I had a few wheat straws.
However since I had a few montecristi and one cuenca I would never go another way.
Boaters look good on people who want to evoke the 1870s-1920s but thats all.
Panama hats with their multiple blocks are much more timeless. Panama Fedoras look great.

Boaters were popular, worn, and featured in big clothing catalouges well into the 40's.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Up to the early 60's during summer. There are 50's outdoor sporting events that still show a predominance of boaters.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
I wear my boater with one of my seersucker suits in the summer atleast 2x/week. a panama the other 3x/week. So the answer is . . . both.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Boater for me!

2898261889_3cb82da1e2.jpg
Good for the average Golden Era Joe!

bing-crosby-small-by-captnyro.jpg
They Were Good for Bing!

cagnbog.jpg
"Nice Boater Ed!" exclaimed Bogart, "I love Boaters, say were could I get one?"

4389611.16d824ca.560.jpg
But I suppose we can compromise :)

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's intriguing to see folks calling boaters a "dated" look -- this within a community that is, in large part (though admittedly not entirely) devoted to all things vintage.

Don't kid yourself that there's anything particularly contemporary about fedoras and Panamas. Do a few people still wear them? Sure, but it's a tiny minority. And some (though fewer) people still wear boaters, too. But Panamas/fedoras are not, nor have they been in decades, contemporary. Which means that they, too, are dated, a throwback look.

So the question is, how far back are you willing to go with your look? The forties (fedoras, Panamas) are okay, but the thirties (boaters) aren't? Fair enough. We all have our cut-off points. But believe me, for every person here who finds boaters "dated," you could find hundreds of thousands of people in the average large city who feel the same way about fedoras and Panamas.

I suspect that if Indiana Jones had opted for a boater over a fedora, we'd see plenty more people sporting boaters today, and they'd have a very different image than the cliched association with barbershop quartets. Let's face it, our collective notions about any garment or accessory are easily manipulated.

In the end, for many of us, all that matters is that we like the look we adopt. The notion of "dated" doesn't even enter into it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have one of each, and I love them both. But my panama is my every day summer hat, whereas the boater is for special occasions, like last month's Jazz Age Pawn Party at Governors Island. I find the panama sits more comfortably on my head.
But having said that, let me say that wearing a straw boater is a really neat experience. The design of this hat gives it an uncanny ability to cool your noggin. And the looks you'll get from ladies are worth a dollar in yer pocket, as my grandfather would say.
If you think you'd feel funny wearing one, be a true Lounger and give it a stab.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

"Dated look, here, in the Fedora Lounge? Shirley you jest?" Pun Intended. I dislike the Boater, the shape is fine, the look is o.k., but isn't my best look. I dislike them because they're too stiff. In the interests of full disclosure, I've only held a couple at Levine's early last summer.

Later

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I don't have much experience handling any boaters other than my vintage Lee, but I would say my boater isn't significantly stiffer than my inexpensive panama from Panama Bob, and is indeed significantly more flexible than my Dobbs Shantung. I find it quite cool and comfortable.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot