Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOGARTS FEDORA

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi to all,
Casablanca and its crew is really an icon.
Boogie and Bacall are two great movie's idol too...but Sidney and others too.
I like very much Casablanca kind of hat, but I think wearing this hat is not very easy: it needs to have a Boogies kind of face and noggins, he wore his hats in inimitable way.
(do you prefer I write in Italian?))))

God bless You.
Riccardo

I think Italians are some of the original pioneers of cool-looking men's dress hats. I think I like Italian hat style more than any other. I seek to copy it.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
MalteseSam3.jpg

I have got to get one like that! I think there's an Akubra CEO in my future.

m0nk

One Too Many
I know this thread has been around for a while, and I've searched for other threads that have the specs for Bogart's Casablanca hat, and have come up with some general thoughts but no concrete specifics. It appears that the specs are in the following ranges:

Color: grey
ribbon color: darker grey
crown height: 5.5 - 6.0 inches (diamond creased)
brim width: 2.5 - 2.75 inches (non-dimensional)
ribbon width: 1.5 - 2.0 inches

Now, based on this, I was wondering which semi-inexpensive, open-crown hat might fit the bill on a budget (I'd LOVE to get the Penman Casablanca, but it's not currently in the budget... though someday). So I was thinking of the Akubra Fed in either Moonstone or Carbon Grey (not sure how dark the hat actually is), or Christy's Adventurer in Grey. I could always re-do the ribbon, but my main concern is getting a tall enough crown and the right brim width, plus overall hat color and quality. The Fed has a dimensional cut, but if it's possible to adjust it to a full 2.5 all the way around, would it work? Does the Christy's have the right felt color? Thoughts on either of these, or a different suggestion, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
If the bound brim isn't an issue, I'd say grab an Akubra Campdraft. I absolutely love mine. It can withstand all kinds of weather and will take any bash you want to put into it.

m0nk

One Too Many
If the bound brim isn't an issue, I'd say grab an Akubra Campdraft. I absolutely love mine. It can withstand all kinds of weather and will take any bash you want to put into it.
I'd prefer not having a bound brim, but I suppose that can also be removed, correct? What's the brim width on this one?

I do like the glen grey color and could certainly find a nice grey ribbon to add.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'd prefer not having a bound brim, but I suppose that can also be removed, correct? What's the brim width on this one?

I do like the glen grey color and could certainly find a nice grey ribbon to add.

You might want to take a look at the Akubra Fedora model. It is a 5 1/2" open crown, 2 1/2" cut brim and is available from Hats Direct in OZ for $130.00 + shpg. You would only have to change out the ribbon to a darker contrasting wider one ( it comes with a 1 1/4" band similar in color to the felt). Take a look at it and see if you don't think it might work better. :)

m0nk

One Too Many
You might want to take a look at the Akubra Fedora model. It is a 5 1/2" open crown, 2 1/2" cut brim and is available from Hats Direct in OZ for $130.00 + shpg. You would only have to change out the ribbon to a darker contrasting wider one ( it comes with a 1 1/4" band similar in color to the felt). Take a look at it and see if you don't think it might work better. :)
Thanks, it looks like a nice hat, but I do have a couple questions/concerns. I didn't see it listed under the Akubra brand hats and the listing doesn't specify the manufacturer. Is it definitely an Akubra?

Also, the crown looks a tad tapered. To get the full effect, and pull of a good diamond crease, shouldn't it be more "stovepiped" in shape?

Thanks again!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, it looks like a nice hat, but I do have a couple questions/concerns. I didn't see it listed under the Akubra brand hats and the listing doesn't specify the manufacturer. Is it definitely an Akubra?

Also, the crown looks a tad tapered. To get the full effect, and pull of a good diamond crease, shouldn't it be more "stovepiped" in shape?

Thanks again!
Here's a link to the hat and it IS an Akubra model. I think if you get some other views of Bogart's aht you'll see it is not as straight (stovepipe) as you think. I can see taper in the crown in the still you refer to. Really check it out :)

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=40&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

It is listed under the Akubra Fedora styles accessed on the home page pull down menus. There are members here who have bought and shown that model and it is an Akubra.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Thanks again!

Some (Abubra) hats are only available through certain distributors. For example, the Fed IV is a hatsdirect (The Hattery) exclusive and the Adventurer is from David Morgan. The 'Fedora' might just be a hatsdirect model.

EggHead

Practically Family
Isn't Akubra Fedora same as Sydney?
Mike, you might look at the CD in Glen Grey and cut brim to 2 1/2, thus removing the binding and replacing ribbon to wider, darker color.

I have a Glen Grey color Akubra, very pretty color, slightly darker than mid-grey.
Silverbelly CD that I have has lighter felt than other Akubras, crown shape may not shape into true fedora style, because it's an OR style hat, but in able hands...

I have a Sydney also, the felt is very soft and crown is tapered and somewhat shorter than what you might be looking for. Because felt is soft, it's hard to shape crown and brim.

my 2¢

m0nk

One Too Many
Thanks all for the great info. I've decided to go with Penman's Casablanca (and the wait will give me time to squirrel away the $), but have the Fed IV in Moonstone on my list just for the general look, in case family members ever ask what I want for Christmas or birthday or something (rarely happens, but still...).

DJH

I'll Lock Up
m0nk, that will be a super hat - the pictures of that model on John's site always make me want one.
Hope you'll be posting pics when you get it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all for the great info. I've decided to go with Penman's Casablanca (and the wait will give me time to squirrel away the $), but have the Fed IV in Moonstone on my list just for the general look, in case family members ever ask what I want for Christmas or birthday or something (rarely happens, but still...).

You will not be disappointed in your choice of a Penman hat. John does every single detail by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy