Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOGARTS FEDORA

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is easy...you can find anything to your liking.

Midwest Boater said:
sorry i asked

Don't be sorry! Welcome to the Lounge. We have a search feature that can give you more than you can read at one time!

If you want a hat like Bogie, I suggest you contact one of the vendors of the Lounge.....

We also have a few custom hatters to recommend. Optimo in Chicago will make you anything you want. Also Art Fawcett can make you a very nice hat. Look these vendors up in the search ....and you can see LOTS of pictures of the hats the members here have received.

If you don't want to break the budget, and a "off the shelf hat" would work...then you can find many examples here of that also.

Good luck and welcome!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Andykev said:
Don't be sorry! Welcome to the Lounge. We have a search feature that can give you more than you can read at one time!

If you want a hat like Bogie, I suggest you contact one of the vendors of the Lounge.....

We also have a few custom hatters to recommend. Optimo in Chicago will make you anything you want. Also Art Fawcett can make you a very nice hat. Look these vendors up in the search ....and you can see LOTS of pictures of the hats the members here have received.

If you don't want to break the budget, and a "off the shelf hat" would work...then you can find many examples here of that also.

Good luck and welcome!

The hat in my avatar was made by Art Fawcett and it's designed to resemble the hat Bogie wore in "The Maltese Falcon." But I and others have also bashed Akubra Federations to resemble the hat as well. It's all in the bashing. This link shows great pics of the Maltese Falcon and Casablanca hats:

http://www.thegoldenera.net/Hats.html

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
If you have a small enough head size look for a late '30s Royal Stetson, as that could be what Bogart wore in some films. High crown and brim of only about 2 1/4".

Failing that, a custom like Optimo or Art Fawcett as already suggested.

Or, an Akubra Federation with the brim cut down to a width which is proportional to your head (Bogart's narrow brim width of 2 1/4" looks wide due to his small head). Crease it the right way (very deep diamond crease) and it will look the part. Do a search for Federation IV threads and look through the pictures as there are some that look like almost perfect copies of Bogart creases.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks very much, i didnt know Bogie had a had a small head you guys are wizards how on earth do you even find something like that out.
these tips will really help me, i had tried searching Bogart in the hat thread it seemed to bring up the entire forum.
please dont be be offended Garrett it didnt come out like i meant i was just self-conscious about opening up a new thread (its my first) and i kinda wanted to take it back.

Feraud

Bartender
avedwards said:
If you have a small enough head size look for a late '30s Royal Stetson, as that could be what Bogart wore in some films. High crown and brim of only about 2 1/4".

So what was Bogart's head size?...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Midwest Boater said:
thanks very much, i didnt know Bogie had a had a small head you guys are wizards how on earth do you even find something like that out.
these tips will really help me, i had tried searching Bogart in the hat thread it seemed to bring up the entire forum.
Firstly, try searching Bogart and search titles only and you should come up with more useful results. The problem is that otherwise every single thread where Bogart is mentioned by one poster will turn up.

As for Bogart having a small head, it shouldn't matter to you. I only said if you have a small head size as you're more likely to find 30s hats which fit you if you have a small head size. As for him wearing a Royal Stetson, the lining is visible in "The Big Sleep" when you freeze the picture at the point where his hat gets knocked off when he gets beaten up.

However, if you have a larger head size, you may want to keep more brim than Bogart's 2 1/4" in order to make it look the same in proportion to your head as 2 1/4" does in proportion to his.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Midwest Boater said:
please dont be be offended Garrett it didnt come out like i meant i was just self-conscious about opening up a new thread (its my first) and i kinda wanted to take it back.

Wasn't offended at all - just wanted to point you in the right direction. Unfortunately, tone is difficult to determine online and in hind sight I should have used one of the smiley icons. Apologies.

billyspew

One Too Many
Posted this before, but this is supposed to be one of his: an Adam, size 7 1/4, the price puts it 1948-1953.
0786_1_lg.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
His hat size could have changed over the years.

RBH said:

Bogart likely has a hat size of 7 1/4...but men's head sizes were smaller back in the 20's 30's and 40's...why? Diet, genetics.

Also, the writer of the script, when the character is giving his clothing size in Dark Passage may have felt "size 7" read better that scripting "7 and one quarter".

And, my hat size used to be 7 1/4..but is now a solid 7 3/8. Depends on who made the hat. Like shoes, size vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I can't say I'm convinced that the above Adam would have been one of his. As far as I know he doesn't wear anything like it in his films. Most of his film fedoras have high crowns and relatively narrow brims (appearing wide because of his size). He could have worn that hat off screen, but I'd have imagined him in one of his more classic hats offscreen as well as on screen as actors in those days dressed themselves for their parts, so the hat would have been his and not the costume department's.

If there's a photo of him in something like that, then I'll take back what I just said of course. :)

billyspew

One Too Many
Well, the photo is slightly distorted, so the crown looks lower, but the crease looks much like what he had in his hats.

This one looks similar, bound edge and all.
draft_lens2168992module35517352photo_1243147521bogart.jpg

However, I'm sure he owned quite a few hats, he also starred in resistol ads as well.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
As it happen, the Maltese Falcon was on TCM just this morning. What a great film. And Bogart's hat certainly does look wonderful on him! No doubt about it -

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The crown is lower on that picture of him, but not as low as on the Adam. The Adam's crown is not much more than twice the height of its ribbon, but Bogart's hat in that picture, while lower crowned than usual is still more than twice the height of the ribbon. Also, the brim width looks wrong to me.

HatRak

Familiar Face
zetwal said:
As it happen, the Maltese Falcon was on TCM just this morning. What a great film. And Bogart's hat certainly does look wonderful on him! No doubt about it -

Yeah, I was watching it while I ate lunch this afternoon. There is one scene where he's walking down the hotel hallway, going to see Gutman, and the top of his hat is visible from the back. I couldn't help but think, "that's the messiest bash I've seen in a long time." The crown looked to me like it was a rumpled mess. At first, it looked like a diamond crease but the side had extra points in it, maybe something like a hexagonal crease?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
HatRak said:
Yeah, I was watching it while I ate lunch this afternoon. There is one scene where he's walking down the hotel hallway, going to see Gutman, and the top of his hat is visible from the back. I couldn't help but think, "that's the messiest bash I've seen in a long time." The crown looked to me like it was a rumpled mess. At first, it looked like a diamond crease but the side had extra points in it, maybe something like a hexagonal crease?
Diamond creases can have as many points as the wearer wants. Bogarts could be a six point diamond. And messy as it is, I think it has a lot of character and style.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i was just watching millers crossing and thinking all their hats were a mess , it seems they didnt pay the kind of attention to their hats when they were more common as we do today.
Alot depends on who is wearing it too, i bet Bogie could make a ballcap look cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn