Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bolo Ties-- Acceptable Alternative or Novelty Oddity?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Given that nearly every other type of neckwear has had a thread dedicated to its intricacies, it seems time that the Bolo finally be put into the hotseat. Where does it stand as a classic accessory? Is it properly elegant, if not uncommon, or a novelty piece to be relegated only to those residing in the American west? And, if anyone out there has any they'd like to show off, here's as good a place as any.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Having lived most of my life in the states of Colorado and New Mexico, I would say that the bolo tie is almost always acceptable as neckwear. (Probably not, only when formal wear is specified.) I've seen it commonly worn with both western wear and with business suits. Anyone who says the bolo tie isn't acceptable is probably a newcomer to the West. Interesting article in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_tie indicates the bolo tie is official in both Arizona and New Mexico.

Geesie

Practically Family
I would say not really found east of the cordillera (barring west Texas, of course). I mean, you don't really see Kansans or Missourians in bolo ties.

DerMann

Practically Family
If worn with the proper clothing, I think it looks smashing. An absolute air of western style.

MB5

One of the Regulars
I tend to agree they are fine as long as the dress code is not semi-formal or formal. My grandfather wore them frequently, but I grew up in the southwest so I may not fit the demographic you are querying.

:eek:fftopic: They also look better when people know what they are. I went to an international event being hosted in locally in Arizona and because the state tie is the bolo tie, the local organizers decided the Arizonans should all wear them. So they gave us neckerchiefs. Nothing says business casual (or Arizona state pride) like a neckerchief. lol

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
A GEOGRAPHIC thing

MB5 said:
I tend to agree they are fine as long as the dress code is not semi-formal or formal. My grandfather wore them frequently, but I grew up in the southwest so I may not fit the demographic you are querying.

:eek:fftopic: They also look better when people know what they are. I went to an international event being hosted in locally in Arizona and because the state tie is the bolo tie, the local organizers decided the Arizonans should all wear them. So they gave us neckerchiefs. Nothing says business casual (or Arizona state pride) like a neckerchief. lol

In the geographic setting of origin AKA Southwest pretty accepted.
Around here Eastcoast, something worn by retired guys lol

Solid Citizen :eek:

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
Geesie said:
I would say not really found east of the cordillera (barring west Texas, of course). I mean, you don't really see Kansans or Missourians in bolo ties.

i grew up in ozark county, missouri - southern area, bordering on arkansas, on the middle/westish bit of the state. the pastor of the church i grew up in always, always wore a bolo tie and never a "normal" tie. he would have been nearing 90 if he were stilll alive. my grandfather wears one occasionally, and i've seen a few other men in them - mostly older, and in the middle of the ozarks wilderness. i've not seen any since moving to springfield, but it's a different world here compared to where i grew up.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As a european - for what it's worth, the bolo tie is almost a parody of the typical american tourist. Goes well along the elderly ladies with bluish hair, too many facelifts and rhinestone sunglasses.;)

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
As a european - for what it's worth, the bolo tie is almost a parody of the typical american tourist. Goes well along the elderly ladies with bluish hair, too many facelifts and rhinestone sunglasses.;)

I have never seen a woman wearing a bolo tie, maybe a necklace that sort-of resembles a bolo tie, but whenever an American travels they lose their sense of style

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
The bolo is just a bit of fun, they were popular in the early 1980's with the "Nue Romantic" crowd, i think you could wear one today to a BBQ.

colonel-sanders.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm not qualified to actually provide an answer to whether they are legitimate ties or novelties, but I'll say this: I love the West. Arizona, Wyoming... just magical. Boots, check. Cowboy hats, check. Bolo ties, not for me. Chose to wear one the other night though for a Cattle Baron's Ball I attended. Got it at a thrift store to kinda' set off the dress western theme of my threads for that particular event. If I do that event again next year, well, maybe that 'tie' will see light again. Otherwise, nah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy