Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bolo Ties-- Acceptable Alternative or Novelty Oddity?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I sometimes wore one like this in scouts, because it was easier than the neckerchief. Aside from scouts, I view these as a western item, reserved for those who wear cowboy hats with suits. They're not something you see in Ohio very often.
BSABoloTie.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Lefty said:
I sometimes wore one like this in scouts, because it was easier than the neckerchief. Aside from scouts, I view these as a western item, reserved for those who wear cowboy hats with suits. They're not something you see in Ohio very often.
BSABoloTie.jpg

I still have mine somewhere! No more losing your neckerchief slide while running around!!

Matt

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
As a european - for what it's worth, the bolo tie is almost a parody of the typical american tourist.

This might seem odd, but bolo ties are somewhat popular in France in the hunting community. Fairly common to see French hunters in the countryside with green breeks/knickers, waxed cotton jackets, sweaters, and... bolo ties. Especially if there is a nice hunting themed design or art work on it: game birds, boar, deer, etc. (they also have been carrying more and more lever action rifles too, I joke with my buddies that with all the lever guns and the bolo ties soon they'll all be in cowboy boots and 10 gallon hats :p )

In fact my only bolo tie is one engraved by a French hunting artist with woodcock on it. I actually wear it in France more than in the US...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here in Australia the Col. Sanders tie is called the 'Maverick tie', I suppose in reference to the TV show character of the same name from some years ago. I used to have about 12 or so bolos in my teens and early 20s, they were required wearing for any well-dressed young Teddy Boy. My first one had a white cowskull medallion, I bought it when I was 15 and wore it for years!

I ended giving them to my father-in-law, who does square dancing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think in the right context they're cool, in the wrong context not cool.
I recently went to The Rodeo Bar in Manhattan to see some RockaBilly music, and as I was leaving I remembered my old bolo, with the red and grey woven leather lanyard and the brown onyx thingy at the throat (what's it called?) I felt right at hone wearing it there.
I wonder if there are any Loungers who own full tilt snazzy gaudy western outfits, like those wild and woolly Scully shirts.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Paul Fussell years ago wrote that the bolo tie was popular mostly among oldsters because it so visibly symbolized the shriveling of the male libido when put up against the colorful, wide, and ideally waist-length or better four-in-hand.

He didn't question why anyone with a shriveled libido would want to advertise it.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Time was when everybody in this state wore a Bolo Tie, it seems. You see less and less of them now since Bill Close retired from local TV news! Scottsdale has a plethora of Bolo's in all of the touristy silver and turquoise shops. One would have to be pretty hardcore nuevo-cowboy to sport one of those gaudy nooses, methinks.

-dixon 'tenderfoot' cannon

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
the WESTERN perspective

Michaelshane said:
Somebody likes them,I sell lots of bolo ties.

P1030522.jpg
[/IMG]

What we need is CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of the BOLO KIND lol Actual photo evidence of people wearing them on the street Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Also living in Colorado, I don't see them as novelties. But then I don't see western shirts, cowboy boots or cowboy hats as novelties either. It's not uncommon to see any of the above on the streets here.

I have and wear a couple of my Grandfather's, usually with cowboy boots. I think they look great, and I really haven't ever gotten a second look for doing it.

My Mom actually has the clasp/medallion/whatever-you-call-it from one her great-grandfather had (also a Coloradan). It's much, much smaller than what we usually think of, and set with an opal. Very stylish. I think that one could even be worn as evening wear. ;)

mister7

Familiar Face
I think they look great! They are commonly worn here in New Mexico and it is not odd to see them in conjunction with a standard suit.

One aspect those who don't live in the desert might not have considered is that they are considerably cooler than wearing a standard necktie. That is a plus about nine months out of the year where I live.

boloonshirt002.jpg

Succotash

New in Town
Look at my avatar........ I walked into this lounge wearing a bolo and Ill walk out wearing one!

I usually wear mine with all western wear but occasionly, like in my avatar, it'll sneak into other outfits.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I wore bolo ties for some years, coupled with the Western style attire I sported at that time. I did not use them with conventional clothes - for me, they belong in Western style - to be worn with cowboy boots at the very least (no, I do not mean wearing just cowboy boots and bolo tie is acceptable, although no doubt it can be done in the appropriate situation :p )

Dashing1

New in Town
I think you really need to be an authentic cowboy/rancher/Native American to pull this look off. A lack of authenticity always reeks. Don't wear a bolo if you are not actively managing ranch land in the West, and similarly, don't wear an ascot if you are weilding a jackhammer on urban streets or attending a Teamster's meeting.

And I really believe that a bolo should NEVER be worn to a back tie or red carpet event unless your name is Porter Waggoner or Conway Twitty and you are picking up your award at the CMA's.

Just my ever-so-humble opinion.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner