Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bon-Ton Ivy Sweatbands for Boaters and Derbies

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Regarding the sweatbands that utilize a lacy filigree sort of cotton webbing to attach the leather to the hat, I finally discovered some more information about this style of sweatband, shown here on a Dobbs Boater and a Cavanagh Derby:

DobbsBoaterInterior.jpg

Adjuster.jpg

CavSweat.jpg

The style was known as a “Bon-Ton,” or “Bon-Ton Ivy,” depending on patent dates. Those names actually were the brand names used by the Hat Manufacturers’ Supply Co., Ltd., of Stockport, England, but as so often happens with consumer products, the brand names became generic nouns throughout the business for sweatbands of that type. The sweatband consists of a cotton web that lets the leather ride inside the hat, and there is also an elastic string inside the sweatband that can be adjusted for the best fit.

From what I’ve found, they were first patented in 1904, with a couple of other patents in 1921 after the expiration of the first. It was one of the second patents that used the name Bon-Ton Ivy.

The Hat Manufacturers’ Supply Co. did a booming business around the world for their sweatbands, and ended up establishing manufacturing facilities outside of England to keep up with demand. Authentic Bon-Ton sweatbands will be stamped as such. I’m guessing that if they aren’t stamped, they are made by competitors after the expiration of the first patent in 1921.

They were used mostly on Boaters to provide a more comfortable fit, as they would conform to the wearer’s head very easily, allowing for slight variations in head size, as well as ventilation. It’s not surprising that they turned up on Derbies, as any hard hat could benefit from this.

My Cavanagh and Dobbs are not stamped from the factory, so I’m assuming that C&K ended up either making their own or buying them from a supply house.

I don’t know the heyday of these types of sweatbands, but it appears the ‘20s were probably the height. I know sales of Derbies plummeted precipitously in the Depression, and can only imagine the same for Boaters, though Boaters might have stuck around longer. Given the number of Derbies and Boaters that pass through the Lounge in any given month, it’s surprising that more of these haven’t turned up. Perhaps most of them rotted out, and were then tossed. I’d say that they are somewhat rare today, and if you run across one, treasure it.

I know my Cavanagh dates between 1928 and 1936, and I may have to revise the date on my Dobbs Boater. I had originally guesstimated the age at circa 1940, but that was on the basis of the initials in the sweatband and the owner’s birth year. Everything else about the hat says it’s up to a decade or more earlier.

Brad

AEH

One of the Regulars
Aero Flex

Brad Bowers said:
Regarding the sweatbands that utilize a lacy filigree sort of cotton webbing to attach the leather to the hat, I finally discovered some more information about this style of sweatband, shown here on a Dobbs Boater and a Cavanagh Derby ...

Brad

Very interesting!

I don't know if you saw my post in the Bowler/Darby thread about my Mallory with "Mallory Registered Aero Flex"?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=943661&postcount=354

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that's the same technology! Looks like Mallory just gave it their own name.

What other examples do Loungers out there have?

Brad

sproily

Practically Family
I have a 1920's Austin Reed boater with the Bon-Ton Ivy sweatband. Or more like 'had' since it crumpled and came off when I began steaming it. :eusa_doh:

By the way, I'd like to have a replacement sweatband but wouldn't want to send it all the way across the pond.. Would anyone have any idea what to stick inside it?

I have some early 20th Century Euro stiff straws (French, German, Austrian) with similar sweatbands. There aren't any trademarks or patents listed.

LoL ... I actually had a pending question on that cabinet and your collection of derbys. Does your wife sell or hire out costumes?

No... it's a professional theatrical shop. Most of the hats in stock have been savaged from creative adaptation. But there were several wonderful pieces hiding. I traded for a couple that fit me. I do have a sizable collection of derbies at home. I went to therapy for that.

Thanks Mike.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Found this Lee Lite derby with a variation of the Bon Ton sweatband mixed with the unstitched/open front like a Borsalino.

You can read the patent here: Lee Cushion Patent

B

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• lee_cushion_1.jpg
    lee_cushion_1.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 909
  • lee_cushion_2.jpg
    lee_cushion_2.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 926

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1930s Stetson Standard Quality

Has a "Bon Ton Ivy" styled sweatband attachment mechanism, which results in a "floating" sweatband. Never seen this before, and believe it to have been a custom order for the Eakle store.

Color is a grey heather with a variety of different shaded grey felt fibers.
c7177f9562fa3c98549a00deaebccd04.jpg
8fb8a66ae2125be5f5240cafcc8510ae.jpg
5efe302cb35cf44495bbfbbf858e9fd7.jpg
93491dbcdf8ad6e00b812f45cec8ba4e.jpg
d05ef369dc07994d32c6d1e589e16e22.jpg
8c3d6340e10de5592c413aa2cf8ce50a.jpg

Very interesting fossils these Eakle hats... likely from a specific moment in time (i.e., exact same LOT numbers on some). I've never seen this style of sweatband attachment used on a non-stiff hat (where it makes conforming sense). I wonder if a depression era frugality or bankruptcy accounts for the use of this material in a run of soft hats at Stetson?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting fossils these Eakle hats... likely from a specific moment in time (i.e., exact same LOT numbers on some). I've never seen this style of sweatband attachment used on a non-stiff hat (where it makes conforming sense). I wonder if a depression era frugality or bankruptcy accounts for the use of this material in a run of soft hats at Stetson?
It's possible. Whats interesting, is though they have the same lot, they hace differences. I have one other on the way, and I'm going to check that lot when it arrives as well. So far, it looks like 3 have the same lot, so it's probably a safe guess for number 4.

I posted one other hat in the eakle thread with a bon ton ivy sweat style as well. No idea on make, but it looks to have an old Stetson MFG tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ