Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonnie bunny brands (a felt quality query)

Rottweiler

New in Town
Ahoy gents,

I've been wearing a gray Jaxon Bogart since starting college (I'm a senior now). A couple months ago, an opportunity arose to expand my wardrobe and I grabbed a couple of Akubras before the Australian dollar could get any stronger, namely a tawny Federation IV and a fern CEO. I've found the difference in quality to be dramatic. So my question is, is Akubra's heritage grade the best bunny available, or am I just a hat neophyte with much more to learn?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Ahoy gents,

I've been wearing a gray Jaxon Bogart since starting college (I'm a senior now). A couple months ago, an opportunity arose to expand my wardrobe and I grabbed a couple of Akubras before the Australian dollar could get any stronger, namely a tawny Federation IV and a fern CEO. I've found the difference in quality to be dramatic. So my question is, is Akubra's heritage grade the best bunny available, or am I just a hat neophyte with much more to learn?

I think that there is always better quality. A lot of european hats are made of rabbit fur and are (or were in the past) absolutely amazing.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I really like Akubra's Heritage felt, it offers some of the best value for money spent out there. In terms of factory hats, I'd have to say that Akubras in general [Heritage AND Imperial] are among the best out there.

A few days ago, I had the chance to handle a modern Stetson felt, a Nostalgia which belongs to another Lounger. I was quite impressed with how soft it was. While it wasn't as dense [read durable] as any of my Akubras, it was much nicer than I expected... If I came across a good deal on one, I'd buy it in a second.

Let me ask you, is the Jaxon wool or fur felt? If wool, there would be a daylight and dark difference in feel and quality.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Randy

Rottweiler

New in Town
The Jaxon Bogart is fur. When I decided to get a hat, I did my homework and quickly found that wool felt isn't durable. Village Hat Shop had free shipping and a few Jaxons at the lowest price I could find for fur lids, so being a poor student, that was for me.

In terms of factory hats... but then, custom hatters use beaver or beaver blends, seeing as labor dominates the price?

Thank you kindly!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Okay, I knew they made [or did make?] both wool and fur versions of some of their hats.

Well, quite a few hatters use both rabbit and beaver felts. It boils down to price, some want [or can afford] beaver while others [like myself] are satisfied with rabbit [or can only afford rabbit]. But yes, custom hats are very much dictated by labor prices. The amount of time put into a handcrafted custom is well worth the extra price over factory if you're into the best quality hats.

For my personal use, I can't justify the price difference between beaver and rabbit. I own both, but my beavers are vintage eBay finds, I haven't gone out of my way to buy new beavers, but did own a Beaver Brand which was a blend and quite nice.

It gets into the realm of personal preference when you start talking differences in felt, something that does take experimentation in the beginning to see which you prefer. I suggest you let eBay be your friend in that journey, it's the perfect place for getting deals on hats... especially if you have a small head.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou