Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books about the Looks

Antje

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
... wow what a disappointment! I found that the book required a lot of assumed knowledge, and as it is pitched at hairdressers, the styles are extremely difficult to do on your own head. And I actually wouldn't want to achieve them anyway, as the "11 styles from one set" are seriously overwrought.

It's probably good for the serious vintage-ist and experienced hairstylers, but for a novice dabbler such as myself, it was a massive waste of money.

Oh no, it is a marvelous book, vintage styles are not dealt with just with one try only.
I took me really weeks to really manage victory rolls.
Vintage hairstyling is practicing, I think you should really try, it is so much fun.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Antje said:
Oh no, it is a marvelous book, vintage styles are not dealt with just with one try only.
I took me really weeks to really manage victory rolls.
Vintage hairstyling is practicing, I think you should really try, it is so much fun.

I'm happy to practice, but I think all the hairstyles they show are horrible and I don't want to master them!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Vintage Hairstyling (Lauren Rennalls) seems to have great reviews but does anyone know if it has short hairstyles in it? I'm a total beginner to vintage hairstyling and would love to find some short style how-tos.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
So I just went ahead and bought it and I'll answer my own question in case anyone else wants to know. :)

There are only 3 "short" hairstyles in the book. The shortest one being a layered chin length cut. And it also has two styles with short bangs that show how to roll those.
But the book is really great overall and all the styles are pretty neat. It has very nice clear pictures of rolling hair that will be very useful once I get some length.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I agree

Christi.adell said:
So I just went ahead and bought it and I'll answer my own question in case anyone else wants to know. :)

There are only 3 "short" hairstyles in the book. The shortest one being a layered chin length cut. And it also has two styles with short bangs that show how to roll those.
But the book is really great overall and all the styles are pretty neat. It has very nice clear pictures of rolling hair that will be very useful once I get some length.

I have the first edition of this book which is what led me to the fedora lounge in the first place try to figure out better ways to make my pin curls. I am dying to get the second edition but I think I will wait until my birthday and ask for it as a present as I am liking just playing around still in the first edition.

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennalls

How much did you guys pay for Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennalls? I can only find it for a some what good price on Amazon. $40 does seem a little high but it looks like a great book. Every where else is asking $100 or more.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
buddy5909 said:
How much did you guys pay for Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennalls? I can only find it for a some what good price on Amazon. $40 does seem a little high but it looks like a great book. Every where else is asking $100 or more.
Buy it Buy it now before it goes out of print. Ok I am just saying that because I bought a book about vintage hair styling when it was first out that is now sells for 150 or more and it was originally 15 dollars.

It is 36.95 at my baby jo http://www.mybabyjo.com/cosmetics.htm

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Where I'm getting the book

After shipping it'll be $47.80 at mybabyjo. On Amazon it'll be $37.94. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it. Hubby isn't going to like it but I'll tell him that it'll be my birthday and/or Christmas gift. :D I've watched Lisa Freemont Street's video gushing about the book which just makes me want it more - Lisa is just AMAZING! She makes it look so easy. :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
buddy5909 said:
After shipping it'll be $47.80 at mybabyjo. On Amazon it'll be $37.94. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it. Hubby isn't going to like it but I'll tell him that it'll be my birthday and/or Christmas gift. :D I've watched Lisa Freemont Street's video gushing about the book which just makes me want it more - Lisa is just AMAZING! She makes it look so easy. :)
I don't think you will regret it, I have the first edition of that book and it is what got me looking on the internet for extra information about my pin curl sets which led me here to the lounge. I still look at it and I long for the second edition which I hear is slightly better than the first.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
^Fleur de Guerre went to the book launch at the author's salon and got a copy, maybe there's a chance that she will tell us how she likes the book after her life slows down a bit?! ;) You can get a glimpse of the inside at her blog:
http://www.diaryofavintagegirl.com/2010/10/here-there-and-everywhere.html

Bought this book a few days ago and I can't wait for it to arrive!
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200530024074
That and Vintage Hairstyling will keep me occupied for the next months I guess :D

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I got the book. It is very well done with lovely backgrounds or vintage fabric prints. I did get some ideas from it but not as many styles as Lauren Reynolds book so if it was a choice I would get Reynolds but the other is nice and has some different ideas and does talk more about hair rats and instruction on how to make one.

Antje

One Too Many
I received a book and it is lovely, it is not a softcover so it will stay more neat.
The styles are very nice, but not so specific as in Lauren's book, but it is again a very usefull book

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
The Art and Craft of Hairdressing by Gilbert Foan---mine is from the mid thirties. This book is awesome. Over 500 pages of swanky beauty tidbits and info. I've spent hours pouring over my copy. Sadly, it is going bye-bye to add to my Christmas fund (you can find it on a major bidding site--am I allowed to write that?)...but I realized I had never posted any pics here. Thought you gals (and guys!) would enjoy some of them.

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg
foan2.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg
foan6.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg
foan5-1.jpg

foan4.jpg
foan3.jpg

Last edited:

tammylynn70

New in Town
Great vintage shoe book

I checked out Vintage Shoes by Caroline Cox at the library, what a great reference! I was really looking for something regarding everyday wear and this is more high-end, but I could not resist scanning some pics of fabulous designer shoes. If you go by your library, it's worth a read. I searched for a thread specifically about shoes and didn't really see a newer one. If I'm wrong please feel free to delete and tell me where to re-post my pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21