Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot heel protectors

ES335

One of the Regulars
Hey all, I've got a great set of Lone Wolf/Sugar Cane Engineer boots. The "NOS" Cats Paw heels are going south in a hurry and I'm looking for recommendations for permanent/nail-on heel protectors. Based on your experience... what's available? What works? What doesn't? What sucks and should be tossed immediately and never mentioned again? Thanks!

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
I always wait until my heel wears down a bit then I nail those metal segments on. i wear all my heels down on one side of the heel depending on what the sole is made of it can happen quickly or slowly. I used to like kicking my heels as a kid and seeing the sparks fly, but whatever they segs are made from now they no longer spark. well the ones I have been getting from the cobbler in town don't anyway. i suppose at my age I shouldn't be trying to do that sort of thing anyway but the big kid in me forces me to try

They make a great noise when you're walking too.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
As Reynard says, there are metal heel taps, and there are plastic and vinyl ones as well. I usually buy the plastic/vinyl ones and nail them to the heels of all my shoes (except my athletic shoes, of course). I have a tendency to plant my heel pretty hard when I walk, and I turn my toes a bit outwards as well, so the heel wears down. Better the heel tap to wear down, then I just peel 'em off, and nail on another pair. It's cheaper than replacing the heel pad or the whole heel.

ES335

One of the Regulars
As Reynard says, there are metal heel taps, and there are plastic and vinyl ones as well. I usually buy the plastic/vinyl ones and nail them to the heels of all my shoes (except my athletic shoes, of course). I have a tendency to plant my heel pretty hard when I walk, and I turn my toes a bit outwards as well, so the heel wears down. Better the heel tap to wear down, then I just peel 'em off, and nail on another pair. It's cheaper than replacing the heel pad or the whole heel.
Thanks, jdbenson. I just rolled with the plastic/nylon nail-on variety and so far, so good. No floor marring either. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points