Bootlegger questions for Bootlegger owners

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by rockandrollrabbit, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Cotton tartan is quite a bit thinner than cotton drill. I don't think it will be as durable (i have actually worn small holes in mine at the waistline), it does look great though and has an airy feel more similar to a thin cotton T-shirt compared to the tighter drill.

Regarding the cuffs, both my size 40 bootleggers have buttoned cuffs, both made by Julie Leitch, yet they have a different diameter.
    The brown one i can put on without any trouble, the black one i need to force my hand through the cuff as it is noticeably tighter. I would assume that asking for "a fraction if an inch more room" would be a total crapshoot.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit New in Town

Well, if I do that I'm going to give them a number. I plan to measure the wrist openings on the fit jacket.

3. torfjord

torfjord A-List Customer

Keep in mind that Aero won’t guarantee exact measurements. They have a 0.5 inch margin of error on everything. You can read about it here: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/custom.php

Chiming in on the cuffs, I had hidden storm cuffs on my bootlegger and I really liked it. In my experience it added quite a lot to the jackets wearability in lower temps as it stops cold air from coming in at the sleeves. But aesthetically I prefer the tapered look that you get with button cuffs. I have Aero jackets with button cuffs and regularly wear them with sweaters, no problem.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

My point was, both jackets should have had the exact same cuff opening measurement, yet they don't.
    As @torfjord mentioned above, you shouldn't ask for an exact measurement and expect to get it.

5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Sounding good here overall...

Regading Wool Tartin lining, please have a read of this thread linked below. I don't mean to spread bad information or make something look poor in quality here, but I was suprised to find some holes in one of my jacket's linings at such an early time. (Note that the Wool tartins look and feel amazing overall - even with some damage)

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/tartan-lining-service-life.94436/#post-2442644

6. rockandrollrabbit

Yeah, that makes sense. I bought a Bronco A-2 last year and I do remember that.

7. rockandrollrabbit

Thanks for the link. Are there also cotton tartans?

8. rockandrollrabbit

Ah, ok. Forgot what I read. Apparently the answer is yes.

9. I enjoyed the zip sleeves that I ordered on my Bootlegger. Left them unzipped when not so cold and zipped when colder.

Edward and rockandrollrabbit like this.
  10. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I have button cuffs on my slim-fit Boot and have never felt the need to undo them to get my jacket on.

Chris7273 likes this.
  11. rockandrollrabbit

Yeah, if I could barely get the sleeves on that might be grounds for sending it back. I'd probably feel kinda bad about it, but, yeah.

12. rockandrollrabbit

The zips definitely look cool, but they might make the jacket a little too biker for me. But I like them.

13. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I have cotton tartan lining in an Aero jacket that I picked up off eBay and it does not seem nearly as robust as the cotton drill lining. It is both softer and thinner.

14. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Exactly what he said. I had one with cotton tartan, vastly preferred the wool tartan. Just FYI the wool tartan in thin and mid-weight is about the equivalent of the cotton drill as for warmth. It's very smooth, not itchy at all.

El Marro likes this.
  15. rockandrollrabbit

Do any of you guys have experience with the quilted liner? Seems like it might be warm, yet thin and not bulky. If I wanted to make it a colder weather jacket, would that be a good choice?

16. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I’ve had the quilted liner in my Grizzly and I think it’s decent at keeping warmth, maybe comparable to Alpacs. Just be aware that the petrol blue is very pinkish in real life (get the red ;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I am not a fan of quilted lining, every single one i have (5 or so) ended up having loose threads after very little wear.
    It is warm but not much more than Strome tartan.

18. rockandrollrabbit

Is it fairly thin, or does it add a bit of bulk?

19. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

It’s not particularly thick but obviously thicker than any other lining option excluding shearling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk