Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots to wear with new Aero Hooch Hauler?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Anything from William Lennon (see photo's from their website below), I own three custom pairs and they are amazing - you can customize as well:
78PTC-Mens-Traditional-Leather-Derby-Boot.jpg 107F-Brown-Zug-Grain-Field-Boot.jpg 178-Tan-Waxy-Leather-Sole-Boot.jpg 78N-Hob-Nailed-Boots1.jpg

or for a more dressy look I recommend the Loake Hyde (I also own it):
loake-hyde-6341_hd.jpg

Depending on your budget you might consider Alden boots, too bored to look for photo's!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have any experience with aero boots? I worry that the leather sole would fall apart too quickly.

Leather soles will wear out a lot quicker. But I think Aero offers all their boots with Dainite soles as well?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Redwings are nice boots. I have a pair of Iron Rangers that I picked up at GBP80 or so off regular UK price some years ago. They took a day or two to break in, but wonderful thereafter. All I've replaced in four or five years of hard wear has been the insoles. Only problem is that the oiled leather can be more of a challenge to keep clean than polished leather, but they do have other polished models. The shoe versions Willy posted are great. Sometimes, much as I love boots, it's nice to have a lower shoe to slip into.

I've also had great experience with William Lennon - comfy from the get go. I got a stonker of a bargain on a 'used' but never worn pair of B5s in shiny black leather with triple sole. The only word of warning I've ever heard about them is that they *can* take a while to get hold of, but then folks round here are good at waiting for quality, no?

The sole reason I've not yet got a pair of Alden Indys is the stupid price they end up in the UK. Eventually, if the pound ever recovers against the dollar, I'll get to the US again and buy some... I do hear impressive things about the copy of those that Wested now do - at GBP110, it's worth a try - https://www.wested.com/adventurer-boots-made-by-wested-3759-p.asp

Aero's boots, I've handled the Jarrows and own a pair of the Town boots. My Towns are leather soled and certainly not given to wear any faster than any other high end boot I've owned, though if you're particularly hard on footwear, the Dainite sole would be a good idea - that's available on all their boots. I rather fancy the new boot myself, with the grained leather.

The other one I'd recommend - though definitely not cheap unless you can find a samples and end of stock line sale - Trickers. https://www.trickers.com/uk/ For my money, Trickers are better than Church's, for the same kind of price. https://www.trickers.com/uk/ Grenson are as good as Churchs, for much less: https://www.grenson.com/uk/ Both do chunky brogue shoes and boots, in a range of finishes and soles.

For all other activities, go with sneakers and maximize your comfort. Just sayin . . . life is hard enough without your feet hurting.

Horse for course, I'm sure.... I remember in my last year at University, buying my first pair of trainers in several years, and being disappointed that they weren't as comfortable as my boots (DMs and Squaddie boots in those days). Not really owned any sneakers for years now, but this year bought a pair of canvas ones for the Summer - ok, but again, nothing on a decent pair of shoes. Also spent a week at my parents moving house wearing a pair of barely-worn trainers of my dad's to keep my own shoes clean (his insistence). My feet ached by then end of the day - I'd have been much better in any of my boots.

I suspect it just varies from person to person, but certainly I've yet to encounter the gutties that could match a decent brogue for comfort for me.

Does anyone have any experience with aero boots? I worry that the leather sole would fall apart too quickly.

My town boots certainly haven't, though Dainite is an option across the range, so.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Grenson are as good as Churchs, for much less:
Keep in mind that Grenson actually offers 3 different series: G0, G1 and G2.
I have handled only the G0 which is supposed to be the handmade, made in the UK series; it is indeed on the same level as Church's or Crockett's but also the same price. The much cheaper G2 series are made in India and I have no idea what the quality is.

The only word of warning I've ever heard about them is that they *can* take a while to get hold of
I own 3 pairs, all customised; it took 4 to 8 weeks to have them delivered. Excellent boots.

Last edited:

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
I own the Jarrow Marchers in leather sole. The sole wore out much quicker than any other leather-soled boot or shoe I've ever owned.
How were the shoes otherwise? Would you recommend them in comparison to others in the same price range if they had a Dainte sole?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Pricewise I can compare them to my Loake Hyde's. The Jarrows were much more comfortable from the beginning, I think it has to do with Horween CXL being really pliable (one of my custom Lennon's is also made of Horween CXL and it was really soft out of the box); the Loake's required some break-in period.
Comparing them both after a year of use I'd say that the Loake's are more sturdy and have kept their shape well; the Jarrow's show more creases, bumps, etc.
I personally prefer the Loake's because the toe is much less rounded compared to the Jarrow Marchers, the latter ones having a really rounded toe that reminds me of Clarke's Desert boots if looked from above. Furthermore the Loake's are more of a dress boot, while the Jarrow Marcher looks rather like a workboot - and regarding workboots nothing can beat my Lennon's (especially if you consider their price).

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Pricewise I can compare them to my Loake Hyde's. The Jarrows were much more comfortable from the beginning, I think it has to do with Horween CXL being really pliable (one of my custom Lennon's is also made of Horween CXL and it was really soft out of the box); the Loake's required some break-in period.
Comparing them both after a year of use I'd say that the Loake's are more sturdy and have kept their shape well; the Jarrow's show more creases, bumps, etc.
I personally prefer the Loake's because the toe is much less rounded compared to the Jarrow Marchers, the latter ones having a really rounded toe that reminds me of Clarke's Desert boots if looked from above. Furthermore the Loake's are more of a dress boot, while the Jarrow Marcher looks rather like a workboot - and regarding workboots nothing can beat my Lennon's (especially if you consider their price).

I'd be interested to hear more about your Lennons. How do they stack up against some of the other top work boots?

Edward

Bartender
Keep in mind that Grenson actually offers 3 different series: G0, G1 and G2.
I have handled only the G0 which is supposed to be the handmade, made in the UK series; it is indeed on the same level as Church's or Crockett's but also the same price. The much cheaper G1 series are made in India and I have no idea what the quality is.

Couldn't tell you what mine have been, TBH.... they were around the same price as a Barker, so probably Indian series but I've had no problems with them at all, wore very well.

I own 3 pairs, all customised; it took 4 to 8 weeks to have them delivered. Excellent boots.

That's pretty reasonable for custom orders, imo.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice jacket. Perfect fit. Your wife may know a bit more about you than we do. If you are not used to wearing boots, chelsea boots are the easiest to put on. Lace-up boots especially those using eyelets only require a little bit of time to deal with before you can be on your way and require a little bit of patience to take off when you get back home. Personally I think a pair of mid brown full grain or roughout chelsea or pecos boots will match your jacket very nicely. It has a sleeker shape than the Iron Ranger to match the slim type jeans and pants you were wearing.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
your wife is right, go with chelsea or one with side zips boots, life is too short for lacing and delacing your boots and these boots can have a narrow leg shaft that you can wear with most pants.

I think leather soled rough out / suede/ nubuck chelsea
in camel or mustard color will look good.
then just buy rubber pad to stick on the outsole to make it more grippy and longer lasting.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Well personally I'd suggest the Loake Burford, in Burgundy. £250 in UK, and not too heavy weight. Go well with jeans and brown or black leather jacket - very versatile number IMHO.
burford_burgundy_dainite.jpg

Loakes make a very nice shoe; I have a few. Comparable to my Barkers (similar price range). This style of boot is nice if you want something a touch dressier than a workboot like Redwings.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
If you are into cosplay, go with engineer boots.

If you are climbing a mountain, go with hiking boots.

If you are building a house, go with work boots.

For all other activities, go with sneakers and maximize your comfort. Just sayin . . . life is hard enough without your feet hurting.
If you’re doing something athletic, wear athletic shoes...
Boots don’t = foot pain unless they’re lousey boots or mis-sized. Personally i have pretty bad arthritis in my feet. The flexible sole of athletic shoes makes it flare up. Stiff soled boots/shoes for me as frequently as possible.

OP 1000 milers are sneaker comfortable out of the box
IR take time to break in but i find they last a little longer
If you can find your size on nordstromrack.com you can get 2 pair

And while i’ll agree with DUDEWTH that neither are in the same league as Wesco or Oakstreet... I still think they’re well made for the $

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy