Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots to wear with new Aero Hooch Hauler?

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Hi all,

Sorry to be sending out a wave of new posts. But, alas, I'm a newb trying to get set up with his first A-level leather jacket, so I've got lots of questions.

The question that has dominated my entire evening tonight has been about what kind of boots I should buy to go along with my jacket (pictures below). I don't ride so this is a style piece.

I'm wondering in particular about what kind of boot you all think would go well with my jacket, as well as the color. Pictures and links would be much appreciated.

I've currently been looking at the Iron Ranger, 1000 Mile, and Thursday Co work boots. And I like particularly the Iron Rangers. I'm just not sure if it would go with the Hooch.

I like the heaviness of an engineer boot, but I worry that I might end up looking a bit like a biker poser.

My wife suggested a Chelsea boot.

Overall, I'm simply at a loss.

BTW, I'm looking to spend no more than mid to upper $300s unless there is an astoundingly good reason to do otherwise.

20180822_213221-min.jpg 20180822_213242-min.jpg 20180821_171959-min.jpg

willyto

One Too Many
Ermm nope. I have a pair for summer but honestly in my opinion a pair of canvas shoes like that look out of place with a vintage style leather jacket, specially if it's heavy leather.

A jacket like that calls for a nice pair of work boots or work oxfords like the merchant from Red Wing. Personally I would get a pair of Red Wings that you can find for sale. The reason is because the shoes or boots will age the same as your jacket does, both will look better with use and believe me, they are comfortable if you buy them in your size.

g4hEhr3.jpg

AEA2D8D.jpg

qlPYQtX.jpg

You have plenty of styles, soles and colour.

Ermm nope. I have a pair for summer but honestly in my opinion a pair of canvas shoes like that look out of place with a vintage style leather jacket, specially if it's heavy leather.

A jacket like that calls for a nice pair of work boots or work oxfords like the merchant from Red Wing. Personally I would get a pair of Red Wings that you can find for sale. The reason is because the shoes or boots will age the same as your jacket does, both will look better with use and believe me, they are comfortable if you buy them in your size.

g4hEhr3.jpg

AEA2D8D.jpg

qlPYQtX.jpg

You have plenty of styles, soles and colour.
Damn you Willy! Those chucks are leather!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Engineer Boots for sure. You'd have to up your budget a bit, though. Wescos start around $500-$600 and would look great with that jacket. The $300 dollar range is honestly not that great for boots unless you find something on the used market. Nothing at Aero equivalent quality can be had at that price range and IMO, all the Red Wing models are too bulky to look good with that jacket of yours.

felix03

One of the Regulars
I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't like my footwear to be matchy matchy with my outerwear -- IMO it looks costumey and like you're trying too hard. Respectfully disagree with dudewuttheheck: I think Iron Rangers (e.g., 8111s) look good with just about anything, and I think the Chippewa 27899 or Red Wing 2268 would make a good 'entry-level' engineer boot

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a decent range of quality boots, 1000 Mile, way too many RM Williams Chelsea boots etc but 99% of the time I grab some leather high top sneakers....way more comfortable to me.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are into cosplay, go with engineer boots.

If you are climbing a mountain, go with hiking boots.

If you are building a house, go with work boots.

For all other activities, go with sneakers and maximize your comfort. Just sayin . . . life is hard enough without your feet hurting.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't like my footwear to be matchy matchy with my outerwear -- IMO it looks costumey and like you're trying too hard. Respectfully disagree with dudewuttheheck: I think Iron Rangers (e.g., 8111s) look good with just about anything, and I think the Chippewa 27899 or Red Wing 2268 would make a good 'entry-level' engineer boot
Hey that's fair. I'm not a big Iron Ranger fan in general, but to your point, I do wear my moc toe boots with my leather jackets too sometimes and it sort of works.

If you are into cosplay, go with engineer boots.

If you are climbing a mountain, go with hiking boots.

If you are building a house, go with work boots.

For all other activities, go with sneakers and maximize your comfort. Just sayin . . . life is hard enough without your feet hurting.
Cosplay route is the coolest... trust me ;)
EG72GiB.jpg

konadog

Practically Family
if $300 is your top, look into a pair of second hand Alden Indy boots. they are comfortable and absolute classics. alternative is the Viberg Service boot or the White's semi dress. but maybe best best, if you know your size, it to hunt ebay for Trickers. i've found multiple pairs of new Trickers on ebay for around $200.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
if $300 is your top, look into a pair of second hand Alden Indy boots. they are comfortable and absolute classics. alternative is the Viberg Service boot or the White's semi dress. but maybe best best, if you know your size, it to hunt ebay for Trickers. i've found multiple pairs of new Trickers on ebay for around $200.
That's good advice. I forgot how low Trickers can go for on ebay. Great quality boots.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Whatever you end up with, I recommend that you have at least two pairs (even better with three pairs) of shoes that you use regularly to give them time to dry up between use. They will last that much longer if you let them rest a day or two after you’ve used them.

I like Red wings and Chippewas. IMO they’re stylish and high quality and not that expensive compared to some of the other options.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21