Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borat- the new Sherlock Holmes!

RIOT

Practically Family
I don't find Will Ferrell funny at all. It doesn't matter anyway as it seems that he's been getting cast in a lot of movies lately. Someone out there must like him.

As for Sacha Baron Cohen in the Sherlock Holmes role, it could work, in a goofy Inspector Clouseau kind of way. I would see it, but not until video.

A.R. McVintage

There was a quite excellent Holmes film called Murder By Decree with Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson.

I also have a soft spot for the Young Sherlock Holmes kid's flick.

Feraud

Bartender
Guy Ritchie plans to direct his own version of Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. is trading Iron Man's metal suit for Sherlock Holmes' deerstalker hat.

Downey is following his action blockbuster "Iron Man" with the title role in "Sherlock Holmes," a mystery drama based on Arthur Conan Doyle's detective and an upcoming comic-book about Holmes by Lionel Wigram, one of the movie's producers.

Guy Ritchie ("Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels") is directing the Warner Bros. film, which is set to begin shooting in October, the studio said Thursday.

That should put it ahead of the schedule for a "Sherlock Holmes" comedy in development at Sony, which will star Sacha Baron Cohen as the detective and Will Ferrell as his partner, Dr. Watson.

No other cast members have been announced for Downey's film, which will be set in Holmes' late 19th-century London. The producers include Joel Silver and his producing partner — Downey's wife, Susan Downey — who previously worked with the actor on "Gothika" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang."

Downey co-stars with Ben Stiller and Jack Black in the August comedy "Tropic Thunder," about a group of pampered actors stranded among dangerous drug-dealers while shooting a Vietnam War movie in the Asian jungles. This fall, Downey stars with Jamie Foxx in "The Soloist," a drama about a schizophrenic music prodigy living on Los Angeles' skid row.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080710/ap_en_ot/people_robert_downey

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh I saw that but was confuzzled and thought Oh I've read that on the Lounge. Wrong, Ash, as usual. I don't want to read about what Cohen or Black in an article about Downey as Holmes, I want to read about Downey as Holmes!
I'll see it.
That Plummer one was a good movie, wasn't it a Jack the Ripper plot? And the kiddy movie was good.

Edward

Bartender
David Conwill said:
Something like the old "Sherlock Hound" animated films but without the anthromorphic animal characters and aimed at an adult audience. That could be good, in fact.

As for a comedy version? Bleh.

-Dave

They did movies of those? That sounds fun... I remember reading the novels from our school library when I was about ten. Seems like there was a big 80s thing for taking classics and retlling them with anthropormorphic animal characters - I remember Willy Fogg, the lion, and Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds as well (both French in origin, as I recall).

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I can't wait to see both. I love Sacha Baron Cohen (can't wait for Bruno!) and Robert Downie Jr. (sans goatee).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I can't stand that Ali G prat, he seriously gets on my wick.

Alexei Sayle as Watson would be my pick :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I love this movie! I got it for my son a few years back, and I'm amazed how well it held up, especially The Stained Glass Knight.

I believe this film was a huge influence on the Harry Potter books. I'm not sure if Rowling admits to having seen it in the mid-80s while she was gestating the series, but I think that she must have: It's practically a template for the Potter stories - "special" hero, along his guy and girl best-friends, battle hidden evil at a mysterious old (castle-like) boarding school.

That the screenplay was by Chris Columbus, who went on to direct the first two Potter films, is just too bizarre a coincidence.

I am happy to see that Young Sherlock Holmes is mentioned in the Wiki article on Harry Potter influences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_influences_and_analogues

[[Added]] Oh, and re the main point of this thread, I have no interest in seeing EITHER Cohen or Downey as Sherlock Holmes!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
They did movies of those? That sounds fun... I remember reading the novels from our school library when I was about ten. Seems like there was a big 80s thing for taking classics and retlling them with anthropormorphic animal characters - I remember Willy Fogg, the lion, and Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds as well (both French in origin, as I recall).

I didn't realize there were novels! I agree on the anthropomorphic animals thing. The Wikipedia article on Sherlock Hound indicates there were quite a few episodes, I've only seen maybe two of them. The credits always indicated there was quite a bit that I was missing, however, as it showed them doing things like flying around in a Wright-Flyer-type biplane, racing about in a horseless carriage, running around SpanAm-type battle cruisers and that sort of thing. Also, an interesting twist was that Mrs. Hudson was not the dowdy, motherly type of landlord but rather an attractive young widow who served as a love interest for Holmes... er, Hound.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
David Conwill said:
I didn't realize there were novels! I agree on the anthropomorphic animals thing. The Wikipedia article on Sherlock Hound indicates there were quite a few episodes, I've only seen maybe two of them. The credits always indicated there was quite a bit that I was missing, however, as it showed them doing things like flying around in a Wright-Flyer-type biplane, racing about in a horseless carriage, running around SpanAm-type battle cruisers and that sort of thing. Also, an interesting twist was that Mrs. Hudson was not the dowdy, motherly type of landlord but rather an attractive young widow who served as a love interest for Holmes... er, Hound.

-Dave

I don't recall any of the storylines now, really, but it sounds like it was the same thing. Which came first, the films or the novels, I cannot say, though as I recall the books were rather above the levle of the usual shoddy knock-off that most "book of the film" type products end up.

Hondo

One Too Many
my 2 cents worth

I don’t care how much of a joke or spoof of Sherlock Holmes Sacha Cohen wants this to be, I can't see replacing Granada Television's "Sherlock Holmes Mysteries" Jeremy Brett or old favorite Basil Rathbone, in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Classics, its just not right but to each his own, and not for my $$$ worth, Never!!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I've always wanted to see a comedic version of Sherlock Holmes with Rik Mayall as a greasy, nervous, bumbling Sherlock Holmes and Ade Edmonson as Watson (who would secretly be the brains behind Holmes). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW