Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borat- the new Sherlock Holmes!

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
For a second I thought maybe they were set to play them in a serious picture...

I didn't like the idea of that at all. I don't think Will Ferrell is funny; clearly millions disagree.

Ironically I don't mind him so much in a serious role. So I guess either way I'm torn about this.

Edward

Bartender
I like Will Ferrell in some things, not others - I do think he can be extremely funny when he gets good material (think his turn as the villain in Zoolander).

I was actually disappointed when I read that this is going to be a comedy take rather than something more serious, as I honestly believe that Cohen is a very skilled actor. To be able to create a character as three dimensional and fleshed out as the likes of Borat and hold him together consistently in the unscripted, real world (SBC even did all the promo television interviews on the release of the film in character without slipping once) takes some skill. He also dominated the scenes he was in in Sweeney Todd. It seems to me that he would be a fantastic Holmes. TBH, much as I enjoyed a lot of the TV spin off movies of recent years, I'm a little tired of the increasing predictability of Hollywood taking an established character and turning it into a "knowing" comedy. Seems to me that it's about time there was a "serious" revival of Holmes.... could be done in a very steampunk way without compromising the integrity of Conan-Doyle's works IMO.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Conan Doyle is spinning in his grave. And I don't blame him.

I'd love to see a serious Holmes film that adheres to the characterization and storyline. But the idea of a so-called comedy version starring those two idiots is enough to give me an aneurysm.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Seems to me that it's about time there was a "serious" revival of Holmes.... could be done in a very steampunk way without compromising the integrity of Conan-Doyle's works IMO.

Something like the old "Sherlock Hound" animated films but without the anthromorphic animal characters and aimed at an adult audience. That could be good, in fact.

As for a comedy version? Bleh.

-Dave

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
Conan Doyle is spinning in his grave. And I don't blame him.

I'd love to see a serious Holmes film that adheres to the characterization and storyline. But the idea of a so-called comedy version starring those two idiots is enough to give me an aneurysm.

I think I'd be with you there; but I've yet to actually read any Sherlock Holmes. So all I can really go on is general cultural references. (Once I even read a book that completely spoils the ending of 'The Hound of the Baskervilles')

This kind of thing always annoys me. It felt like Michael Bay took a dump on my childhood with "Transformers", not that I would put Holmes and Transformers in the same league.

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
I'm a little tired of the increasing predictability of Hollywood taking an established character and turning it into a "knowing" comedy. Seems to me that it's about time there was a "serious" revival of Holmes.... could be done in a very steampunk way without compromising the integrity of Conan-Doyle's works IMO.
Ben Kingsley and Michael Caine had their hand at a humorous version of Doyle's creations in Without a Clue.
As much as I think this new film could be a stinker I will wait to see it.

Will Ferrell has his moments ( I thought he was hilarious in Zoolander and Anchorman) but Hollywood believes in "too much of a good thing" and is milking this cash cow for all he's worth. Ferrell's humor decreases in proportion to his screentime.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As fond as I am of Basil Rathbone (or Razzle Bathroom as my old neighbor used to say), Jeremy Brett will always the purists' Sherlock. David Burke and Edward Hardwicke both made excellent Watsons.
Personally I expect this to be a travesty. I predict they will miss many really ripe things in the Holmes canon that they could lampoon, and go for stupid toilet - moron humor.
Edit: I have to confess, I liked "Elf".

Josephine

One Too Many
Oh dear god. ::head desk::

I liked Stranger than Fiction. But he wasn't playing it a comedy. I love Sherlock Holmes! How can they do this?

Matt Tolmach, co-president of Columbia Pictures who are producing the movie, said: "Just the idea of Sacha and Will as Sherlock Holmes and Watson makes us laugh. Sacha and Will are two of the funniest and most talented guys on the planet, and having them take on these two iconic characters is frankly hilarious!"

Yeah, well you have the sense of humor of a brain damaged goat. :rage:

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes. Followed by Rupert Everett who should have done more. I will watch this with one eye closed.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Josephine said:
I liked Stranger than Fiction. But he wasn't playing it a comedy. I love Sherlock Holmes! How can they do this?

I love that movie (I see it more as a dramedy), and I think Farrell is an alright actor (in that movie). The same thing happened with Jim Carrey in The Truman show, they got directors who actually directed them!

Instead of being told do whatever you want, the director stepped in and coached their actors and pulled good performances out of them.

I would LOVE to see a serious take on Holmes with comedy thrown in of corse. Its just ripe for a long run. I am so sick of super hero, vampire, and zombie movies. I want to see a normal person, above the average, show how extraordinary he/she is with out the help of a toxic spill or radiation.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21