Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino, Before and After, Updated with NEW PICS!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hello folks

I bought a vintage Borsalino from a fellow lounger a few weeks ago. It was open crowned, and in wonderful condition. I decided I'd attempt to shape the crown myself, having never tried before. I got the teapot rolling and steamed it up and got to work. I failed miserably. Here are some pics of it with it's original, open crown.

STA70003.jpg

I sent it to Duane from The Fedora Store. And after only about four days, I've got my "new" Borsalino, and it looks great!! Here are some pics of me with it on.

100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

Magus

Practically Family
Hiya Mis....well...a errrr.....ummmmmm....horrid job....and great recovery! lol I am very glad you are happy with it and I know it will do well for you. Suuuuuuure wish it was my size!

M

Now all you need is a great hatbox...lol

rauhfell_kid

New in Town
I always wonder how professionals manage to do such great jobs on open crowns. My borsalino looks exactly like M´s because I simply can´t do it. So what´s the trick?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
For a centre dent-
Make a fore-aft Karate-chop in the crown, 'till the dent and the hat look how you want them, regarding crown height and side/front-back perpendicularity, taper or lack there of- maybe a little reverse taper. Then add your front pinches/dents. These dents will also affect crown taper/stovepipe.
A taller crown will allow more room for fun variations.

C-crowns/Teardrops, etc take a bit more tinkering- but you only have as much crown height to play with as allows getting your head into the hat.
A too-deep dent and the inside dent/dome will sit on the head.

Here's my Furry Borsalino-

Open.jpg

Open Crown.

Chopped.jpg

Chopped- Ha-yah!

Chopped_Front.jpg

Chopped viewed from front.

Reverse_Taper.jpg

Dent pushed in further.

More_Reverse.jpg

Even deeper, with front dents/pinch- showing more pronounced Reverse Taper.

Fin_Front.jpg

Front view- Centre crease/dent and front dents/pinch.

A little steam will set the work and the hat will remember this 'trim' when you push it out then push it back in.
Try to use a little æsthetic from your own taste and available photographic resources- of which there is a lot here on the FL.

B
T

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
The Fedora Store actually re-blocked it. In fact, I think he said he was using a brand new block he had just gotten on my hat (how exciting!). BellyTank pretty much covered how to shape a hat 100%, unfortunately, I guess I'm just not handy at all whatsoever, hence, my horrid results. Plus I was trying to do a teardrop.. HA!

Thanks for all the compliments! This is an astounding hat, it's the only Borsalino I own at the moment, and I'm just shocked at how soft and luxurious it is, especially after 50-60 years!

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
It's a Hand Job!

I have to admit, after seeing the hat and discussing the deterioration of the sweatband stitching with M, he decided he did not want a new sweat, so, I touched up the sweat, and hand shaped the hat with plenty of steam and a tad of stiffener per his request to help it hold the shape. I should mention that this job was "on the house" since no expense was spared, and I got to enjoy giving some love to another old Borsalino. Of course I am obsessed! M, don't asked about the "stiffener".
Duane

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Applause Gentlemen, for an excellent Borsalino " Resuscitation"! I have heard the Borsalino name frequently in my fedora searches, I will plead ignorance and ask , where does the quality of Borsalina rank amoung other brands i.e Baily? ( call it my quest for hat education)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I can help

rauhfell_kid said:
I always wonder how professionals manage to do such great jobs on open crowns. My borsalino looks exactly like M´s because I simply can´t do it. So what´s the trick?

Sir, as long as you include $8.95 for S&H in the box, I will be happy to do it for you. PM me for the address if you want the help.
Duane

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well I got my "new" Borsalino back from Duane today after it's blocking, it's great! I edited my first post with the new pics, but I decided the thread needed a bump as well, so, here they are again. :rolleyes:

100_0002.jpg

100_0001.jpg

Muy debonair.

Magus

Practically Family
Jake Sullivan said:
Applause Gentlemen, for an excellent Borsalino " Resuscitation"! I have heard the Borsalino name frequently in my fedora searches, I will plead ignorance and ask , where does the quality of Borsalina rank amoung other brands i.e Baily? ( call it my quest for hat education)

Hi there Jake,

If we are talking vintage hat...hmmm....how to put it. If you compared them to food...if a Bailey is a good juicy hamburger...a Borsalino would be a Porterhouse steak.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran