Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Como Problem?

Rubes

New in Town
Guys, I just bought a Borsalino Como at a discount on line - it looks great - but the stitching on the inside where my forehead goes is rough - is this typical or did I end up with a defect or a knock off or something? If this happens some times, how do you smooth out the roughness. Never expected this issue with a Borsalino - that's why I am now wondering. But it has the tags and all that. Thanks for your help!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Here is a modern Borsalino to compare...(Claudio)

September2010002.jpg

Rubes

New in Town
Borsalino Como Problem

yes - the stitching in the picture is exactly how it looks! So
nothing wrong there - if I wear the hat down low, it feels fine. But up high, against my forehead, those stitches are rough - I guess that's the way it is?

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Rubes, I had the same problem with one of my hats. I lightly sanded the rough stitching with very fine sandpaper which helped enormously. Remember, light sanding with very fine sandpaper. Hope this helps.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
Here is a modern Borsalino to compare...(Claudio)

September2010002.jpg

I had the same problem and ended up removing the "loop" stitches as they were rubbing and scratching my forehead. The sweat is actually affixed independently with stitches that run along the ridge you see in the picture.
Not a defect. Just poor craftsmanship.

seed

Familiar Face
The very first hat I ever bought (and never wear because it looks bad on me) was a Borsalino Como from a store in Berkeley, CA. I bought it (in 2000) because it felt awesome on me. But when I got home, I didn't like how it looked on me and never once wore it.

Then I came across Borsalino hats being sold on-line from a well-known seller in styles more to my liking. Back then I thought Borsalinos were the cat's meow as the ones I tried in stores (mine included) felt so much better than any Stetson I tried (keep in mind, I did not know anything about hats back then). So I ordered one. The stitching was horrible, feeling like razor wire on my head and it left a lobotomy-scar mark all around my shaven head. I stupidly ordered another one of the same style (different color...but man, was I stupid)...same problem. I later come to realize that they stitched the hats themselves and placed the reed in such a manner that it pushed the stitching in towards my head. I since had both hats re-banded with mixed results from somewhere not commonly mentioned on this board, and they are now technically wearable (which I don't do as I no longer like Borsalinos).

Lesson is that if the stitching feels uncomfortable, you are not supposed to just live with it...it is done wrong. Either get the band re-done or return the hat for one that feels right. If you can't find one, let me know what your size is. I have a black, almost new-in-box Borsalino Como I never wear that is extremely comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner