Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Mascotta and 11 of its friends

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hey all. I bought this lot on ebay. There's a borsalino mascotta in it in my size, along with a straw hat I like. I'm not sure about the rest of the hats, but I think at least some of them should be decent.

here's a shot of the group.
310a_1.jpg

a shot of the borsalino lliner (I had to email for this one)
100_14972ejpgmsgB94347E0-5FD5-4345-.jpg

and a shot of the stetson liner
31d2_1.jpg

here's a list of the hats. I'm not sure which corresponds to which in the pictures.
They never state the word borsalino in the listing.

I'm sure some of these are complete junk, but even if only the borsalino works out, I'm happy.

Who wants to give a shot at matching the description to the hat?
1. Penney's "Marathon", tan corduroy, size 7-1/8. A bit crushed, but in good condition.
2. Stetson "The Sovereign", dark brown, soft (felt like), size 7-1/2, braided band with feather. Good condition.
3. Penney's "Marathon", medium-light brown felt, no size label, braided band with feather. Good condition.
4. "Quality Superior", black straw, black & red ribbon band, size 7-1/4. Brim bent a bit, but in good condition.
5. "Fleetwood", golden-tan felt-like, black braided band (frayed at end) with feathers, size 7-1/4. Good condition.
6. "Mascotta", beige felt with brown ribbon band, a bit dirty and squished, size 5-1/2. Good condition.
7. "Betmar", 100% wool, navy blue, navy blue ribbon band with feather, no size. Good condition.
8. "Oasis always on top", crushed, 100% virgin wool, tan, size 7-3/8. Fair condition.
9. "Godfather", 100% wool, dirty with some pits in felt, tan, size 7-1/4. Fair condition.
10. "Lazarus", felt is dirty and pitted, tan with rust colored ribbon band, size 7-1/4. Fair condition.
11. Unknown manufacturer, dark tan felt, black ribbon band with feather, size 7-1/4. Good condition.
12. Captain's "costume" hat, light blue, black bill, gold braid, nautical patch, size extra large. Good condition.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WHOA

yeah, I was watchin' that too... let it go in preference to a couple of upcoming auctions. When you separate the wheat from the chaff I feel sure you will have done well for forty eight bucks. If you decide you wanna ditch any of the 7 3/8 or 7 1/2s lemme know. Overall a very nice score. Congrats!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I worked my bid out at 5 bucks a hat including shipping. I ended up paying a lot less than that.
I think the borsalino is the front left one.
I wonder what the "lazarus" is. Is lazarus the maker or is it the store, as with mascotta.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got all my mail today from when I was away. This lot was in them. The borsalino and the lazarus are the only two keepers.
The borsalino has that telltale crease down the middle, and the super lightweight felt. It's a roller.
The edge is raw, but stitched. The sweatband has wrinkles in it from being rolled, but is still very supple. It fits perfectly.
IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Lazarus is dirty and mothbitten. It's really not in very good shape at all, but it just looks so cool.
The button of the sind string is sewn to the crown. I figured out how to fix the slack in the string after I took the picture.
IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There are good finds out there . You need to be paitent and try to be a little particular when you buy vintage hats . When I started to but them , I bought a lot of crap. Now I am very particular on what I buy because there are a lot of hats out there. You just need to know where to look. Here in New York it's a little difficult because a lot of people look for vintage clothing. If you are willing to travel , the selection might be better.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
There are good finds out there . You need to be paitent and try to be a little particular when you buy vintage hats . When I started to but them , I bought a lot of crap. Now I am very particular on what I buy because there are a lot of hats out there. You just need to know where to look. Here in New York it's a little difficult because a lot of people look for vintage clothing. If you are willing to travel , the selection might be better.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Wise words, Steven. Yeah, it's true that desirable vintage hats are a finite resource, but let's not forget that millions upon millions were made, and if even a small percentage of them remain, that's still one helluva lot of hats. So don't despair if that one (or two or three or four) you wanted gets away. Keep the money in the budget and await the next one, which will surely be coming along.

playitagainsam

New in Town
Nice catch Dinerman! I troll ebay constantly looking for a bundle in 7 1/4. It's only a matter of time until my ship comes in.
lol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks all.
I'm wearing the Lazarus today. All those nasty stains came out with just a little bit of work with a hat sponge. The mothbites are mostly on the underside of the brim. I got bored in math class today and counted them. There are 91 moth bites on this hat.lol It's still wearable though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes