Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boss of the Plains?

From a Late 50's early 60's Stetson Western Catalog.....WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO OUR ICONIC HAT?!?!?!?!?:eek::eek::eek::eek:;)
M
Boss of the Plains.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Tough to say. There is, in fact, a Boss of the Plains, die mark:
20180727_080109-2-jpeg.128570

This looks like it has the No. 1. Quality die on the right side of the page.

It's more likely this is an Austral or a variant thereof. But almost certainly a pre-war hat. Looks like my 1922 Stetson:

Also, I think that's a replacement ribbon.

Last edited:
Stetson Boss of the Plains 3X by Akubra. 3-1/2 RE brim x 5-3/4, maybe 6 Open Crown. Thin ribbon as used on the Akubra OR & current Campdraft. Black & gold keyhole size tag. No other tags behind sweat or liner edge. Liner has first version of Last Drop stencil behind plastic cover.

For documentation only. Hat has been stored in a box too small & brim or ribbon have not been ironed in pics.

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Stetson Boss of the Plains 3X by Akubra. 3-1/2 RE brim x 5-3/4, maybe 6 Open Crown. Thin ribbon as used on the Akubra OR & current Campdraft. Black & gold keyhole size tag. No other tags behind sweat or liner edge. Liner has first version of Last Drop stencil behind plastic cover.

For documentation only. Hat has been stored in a box too small & brim or ribbon have not been ironed in pics.

View attachment 177723

View attachment 177722

View attachment 177724

View attachment 177721

View attachment 177720

View attachment 177718

View attachment 177719

View attachment 177717

Beauty!
Jack on a quick side note, I just noticed your H8 quote. FYI, Netflix has a really cool extended scenes miniseries version of the movie out that I stumbled upon last night. Highly recommended, great alternate scenes that help round out the story line for sure.

M Brown

A-List Customer
Call Hatco in Garland Texas. Ask for Aubrey Teeter, he's the mgr.
(972) 494-0337

He's a great guy who loves to help people with anything hats.

Hatco is the factory outlet store at the Stetson/Resistol factory. They usually have 5000+ hats in the store and sell at 30-50% less than the retail sellers.

If he has a BOTP hat in stock, in your size, in your color, maybe he will ship it to you. But remember, you can also take an unblocked, flat brim Stetson and give it the Boss treatment. And he always has unblocked flat brims in stock.

Call Hatco in Garland Texas. Ask for Aubrey Teeter, he's the mgr.
(972) 494-0337

He's a great guy who loves to help people with anything hats.

Hatco is the factory outlet store at the Stetson/Resistol factory. They usually have 5000+ hats in the store and sell at 30-50% less than the retail sellers.

If he has a BOTP hat in stock, in your size, in your color, maybe he will ship it to you. But remember, you can also take an unblocked, flat brim Stetson and give it the Boss treatment. And he always has unblocked flat brims in stock.
MB, only looking for vintage which in a BOP probably only means No.1Q, Nutria Q & Real Nutria Q, & 3X. The Akubra BOP & the Akubra OR were both made under licensing agreement with Stetson & are both pretty rare now. Not interested in 4X, 5X or 6X or the many iterations now being called BOP's.

J Williams

Practically Family
Don't even get me started on the current "Boss of the Plains."
http://www.stetson.com/store/boss-of-the-plains-1.html

HAHA! wow...

Stetson Japan is getting a super limited run (100 total) vintage replica Boss of The Plains in fur felt, with the BOP die mark.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B222vhTFYhE/

about $500 USD, which is silly, but I still have an irrational want for this hat. Maybe Garland has an outlet one....

jlee what size are you? I know of a seller that has something you might be interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider