Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boudoir/flapper Dolls - The doll of choice by movie stars and naughty girls

ferula98

New in Town
Leatrice%20Joy%20in%20Dressmaker%20in%20Paris.jpg

I am not sure who of you are familiar with flapper dolls, also called Boudoir dolls, they originally started from around 1910, and kicked off off in the 1920's jazz age era when flappers made the youthful 'bright young thing' asthetic popular. Starting as dolls to grace the beds of grown ladies they developed into must have fashion accessory that flappers would take out with them on the town. Beautifully made up with full on flapper make up and often dressed in matching outfits to them selves, boudoir dolls mimic the era from which they were created.

Movie stars of the period were often inspiration for the companies making the dolls, and various brands started using boudoir dolls as promos and prizes. Representing the flapper youth and reflecting there fashions and rebellions these dolls were portreyed smoking cigarettes, as french apache dancers, androgynous caracters, gypsies and bullies (sometimes painted with a black eye). Cropping up in a fair few 1920's movies (including 'Waterloo Bridge' 1931, 'The Redheaded Woman', 1933, 'Babyface', 1933 and 'Stage Door', 1937) the storyline's suggest that is only naughtly girls that own flapper dolls.

You can find a few on ebay for a pretty penny, i would love one but i dont think i cant justify the expense at the moment. A gorgeous example sold recently dressed in an art deco suit with a cigarette hanging jauntilly from her mouth. I have a little write up and a few more pictures on my blog. www.flairinaladysboudoir.blogspot.com

What do you think of them? Have you discovered any anywhere?

boudoirdollbilliedove.jpg

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
This is the first I've heard of flapper dolls, but since my partner sent me the link to this thread, it must be fine with him if I expand my doll obsession beyond bjds and Gene Marshalls into historical dollies. I'm off to ebay to see just what these beauties are going for... thanks for sharing!

Mojito

One Too Many
I adore boudoir dolls! I'm particularly fond of the various silk faces and Anita smokers...I have three myself (and am constantly battling the urge to buy more), and have bought others for friends.

Here's Zelda posing on my bed:
DSC03435.jpg

She lives in an Art Deco cabinet in my bedroom with mini-bottles of gin and absinthe.

Here's Lucien - he's a German composition dressed as a Parisian Apache:

DSC03443.jpg

With my silk face (a Poupee Gerbs?) Zoe Dee at a function in Napier:

DSC03477.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
There are two of these in an Antique shop near me, but no matter how many times I ask the lady says they're not for sale just for 'set dressing' I adore them, one is blond with shingled hair and wearing a slip and peignoir! So cool.
Never knew their origin!
K

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I love boudoir dolls and I have a few. I bought one in a local antique mall and the other 3 on ebay.
They have body flaws, 3 were bald, there are a few feet and hands missing. But the faces are very good. All of their clothing was either gone or tattered so I made all of their clothing with vintage fabrics and replaced the hair on the 3 baldies.

100_0881.JPG

lady12.jpg

This gal has real hair

lady7.jpg

I also have some half dolls from the same era as the boudoir gals.

lady9.jpg

The photos are showing up in preview, but not here in the post. You can see them on my blog - http://dvintage.blogspot.com/2006/03/vintage-pretty-ladies.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy