Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Ralph Lauren carries some last I looked, and they're an option for Carrot and Gibbs bows at www.greatbows.com. They're more than I can spend on a tie right now, though, and I've found it harder to find old diamond points than new ones!

pipe23

New in Town
I have a few diamond point self tie bow ties and have a question thats been vexing me for a while. Should the tie, after tying, be manipilulated so that both points are at the front, or should one side have the point behind the loop, the other side having the point in front. Does this make any sense?
Is there a "secret" way to tie a diamond point tie that I'm missing? Am I spending way too much time obsessing about this?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Vintage 1940s diamond point bowties are on eBay all the time. They go for cheap, too.

I'll have to keep that in mind to check the US eBay. I've only seen one self-tie pointed tie on the UK eBay, and it was in a pattern I really didn't like [huh]

Macheath

One of the Regulars
pipe23 said:
I have a few diamond point self tie bow ties and have a question thats been vexing me for a while. Should the tie, after tying, be manipilulated so that both points are at the front, or should one side have the point behind the loop, the other side having the point in front. Does this make any sense?
Is there a "secret" way to tie a diamond point tie that I'm missing? Am I spending way too much time obsessing about this?

I was under the impression that self-tied bows will always have the loops and points in reverse order to the other side's. They will still, after all, be symmetrical since the points (in a diamond point) will extend past the loops.

In any case, most bow tie wearers will tell you that perfect symmetry is unbecoming for a self-tied bow, since it makes it look pre-tied.

pipe23

New in Town
Macheath, thanks for the clarification, I was leery of wearing my diamond points wrong, now I can sleep at night.:eusa_clap

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
half butterfly bowtie

I recently happened to see a movie from 1938 called The Young in Heart. Something that jumped out at me was in a scene where Douglas Fairbanks, Jr's character is putting on a tuxedo. His tie had the typical butterfly shape on one end but the other end did not, it ended the same width as the neckband part. He tied it normally and finished by tucking that narrow end under his collar. With the quality of the movie it was hard to see but the result was a bow with a loop on one side and flat part of the butterfly on the other side but now mirror parts balancing it off. Has anyone seen anything like this? It appears to me like another example of those crazy young people and their fads. :)

draws

Practically Family
Self Bow Tie - Problem?

Hello all. I just purchased a black self bow tie and simply cannot figure out how the two pieces come together.

The short section has a simple hook.

The longer section is a straight section with the strap threaded entirely through a rectangular metal piece that has what seems to be a place for the short bow tie section to hook onto. The end of the longer section has a "T" fastener and I simply cannot figure out where that fastens to. Worse yet, I can't figure out how this whole thing comes together so that I can tie it or wear it for that matter.

With all you experts out there, I thought you might advise if I should pick up a self tie without the fasteners forget the hastle or perhaps the solution is simple and I don't have to buy another.
Your HELP!!!!! is appreciated.
2970768350105678540S600x600Q85.jpg

2200980340105678540S600x600Q85.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Is there a series of slits along the part with the T? Those are for sizing: The T fits inside them for sizing. The hook is so that once you have it tied, you can use it without tying and untying. It should attach to the long part somewhere, I think I see a loop on there for that purpose.

-Dave

draws

Practically Family
Well I'll be!!!!!

David Conwill said:
Is there a series of slits along the part with the T? Those are for sizing: The T fits inside them for sizing. The hook is so that once you have it tied, you can use it without tying and untying. It should attach to the long part somewhere, I think I see a loop on there for that purpose.

-Dave
Dave, Hi fives. Yes, there are slits all over the place. Problem solved!!!!
Now for the tying thing. I'll give it a shot and perhaps respond with more questions. Best and thanks again.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Bowties and GoldAge Movies

the bowtie with the one side straight and one bat wing. That is a formal style tie. You can still find that style from some classic menswear companies.

have seen in the following color/fabric
white Pique
Black silk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart