Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Imahomer

Practically Family
I've always thought the bow tie was a look not everyone could pull off. I'm wondering how many guys here wear them, have thought about wearing one, or even know how to tie one!

Personally, I don't think one would look good on me. :cry:

STHill

One of the Regulars
I agree. I think only a very few men can pull off the bow tie look. No way to describe the guy who can successfully wear one, but I know 'em when I see 'em.

BTW, the black or white formal bowtie works for everybody. If you ever have the chance to wear one with a dinner jacket, be sure to get one you have to tie yourself. It takes a while to get the hang of tying it, but it looks way classier than the pre-tied kind.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hey StHill, you are absolutely right about the formal thing. I've worn a few tuxedos and yea, the bow tie goes very well. I've never hand tied one though.

Zohar, yep you do pull it off!

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
I agree...

....that certain people can pull it off. I for one have about 10 of them in asorted colors and patterns. I like the look because it is different. My brother wears them exclusively. However, I think they look better on him than they do on me. My face is round and the bow tie makes it look more round. His face is thinner and that is the type of face that, in my opinion, can carry it better. I like to wear them during the winter, when I don't have to take off my suit jacket or my sport coat. I also think they look better with the jacket on. A bow tie should also be worn while wearing a shirt with a spread collar or sometimes with a button down collar as Zohar is doing in his picture. But the preferred colar is the spread collar. The reason is that the bow tie hides the points of the collar.

Two entertainers that come to mind that looked good in bow ties are Jeff Bridges in A Mirror Has Two Faces and Harrison Ford in Sabrina and of course as Indiana Jones. I am sure there are others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is one guy

Mr. Bogart sure knows how to pull off the "bow tie" look. Nothing better than a white dinner jacket and black tie. What a guy!

f845614c.jpg

f8455e64.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yeah, I don't like to wear mine with a button down collar, but I only have one spread collar shirt and it was quite expensive. It definitely looks better on spread collared shirts.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Zohar
Yeah, I don't like to wear mine with a button down collar, but I only have one spread collar shirt and it was quite expensive. It definitely looks better on spread collared shirts.

There isn't a button down collared shirt in my house! :cool2:

Canadave

One Too Many
I went through "a phase" when I wore bow ties. ;) A friend taught me how to tie them. I was in my 20s, and he stood behind me in front of a mirror and reached around like a father teaching his son. It was funny.

Anyway, every couple of years I think of getting back into them, but don't. Maybe this time...

The tie in that second pic of Bogey is a beauty. I think a great bow tie is one that is obviously hand tied. The second one illustrates that better than the first.

David

Imahomer

Practically Family

STHill

One of the Regulars
I was extremely dense when I was trying to learn to tie a bow tie a few years ago. The "tying a shoe" analogy just didn't work for me (still doesn't--I just don't see it). Finally, with the help of diagrams similar to those Zohar posted, I figured it out. But not until I tied and tied and tied. All of a sudden, it clicked, and now I can do it with my eyes closed. Funny how the brain (especially mine) works--or doesn't.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I know what you mean. I remember when I was a youngster and started to wear ties. I just couldn't tie one. I got some printed instructions that had photos and after following them, it eventually sunk in.

As long as I've got some instructions with photos, I'm "good to go!" LOL

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
Hey Guys!
I have around 20 Bowties that I wear on occasion. Learning to tie them takes a little practice, but just like tying a tie, you eventually can do them half asleep in the morning, LOL! Great links Zohar!

Charles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21