Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

max the cat

Familiar Face
ties

I think of diamond point being a 40's tie and have a couple- prefer straight or small butterfly
Carrot and Gibbs makes great ties -have 1 find Hanauer to have the most substance at present--that diamond pt. C & G is a really sharp tie moustache.

Fletch-the examples you posted were great -the last hilarious-who are those cats?

max

moustache

Practically Family
Thanx

max the cat said:
I think of diamond point being a 40's tie and have a couple- prefer straight or small butterfly
Carrot and Gibbs makes great ties -have 1 find Hanauer to have the most substance at present--that diamond pt. C & G is a really sharp tie moustache.

Fletch-the examples you posted were great -the last hilarious-who are those cats?

max

Thanks Max!

JD

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Off topic, but this has bothered me for a while: is there a name for the haircut he has? It is preppy and sort of swinging 60s anglophile--both things I normally like--yet somehow very ugly/obnoxious. It reminds me of the sort of haircut a racecar driver or a playboy might wear, and it strikes me as a strangely shaggy haircut to match with a bowtie. Wouldn't an ascot work better with that hair than a bowtie?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Bowtie Binge!

I've been on a bowtie binge this week- I wore a green/red/yellow/black Brooks Bros. striped bowtie on Weds., wore a deep red/navy bowtie yesterday, and today I'm wearing a vintage Arrow blue polka dotted bowtie.

bowtie.jpg

The Shooman

Practically Family
l'm thinking of making a real big change in my appearance. l want to ditch ties completely (l hate them) and go for the more convenient bowtie. l want to make bowties part of my signiture style but am alittle scared to take the plunge.

What do people say about your bowties? Good comments? Bad comments?

Do you all wear pretied or tie-it-yourself bows?

moustache

Practically Family
The Shooman said:
l'm thinking of making a real big change in my appearance. l want to ditch ties completely (l hate them) and go for the more convenient bowtie. l want to make bowties part of my signiture style but am alittle scared to take the plunge.

Take the plunge and tie your own always!!!!
I was in your same position a year ago.I always wore long ties(and still do on occasion).But i needed a change and the vintage style looked splendid with the bowties.
I admit i did hear a lot of comments the first few months.But all of them were positive and now all of my friends (and strangers as well) love the look!!

Go for it!!

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The Shooman said:

Do it--you won't be sorry. I started wearing them to church a few years ago, and always got positive comments. Now when I'm wearing a long tie, half the time someone will come up to me and ask about the bowties that they enjoyed seeing so much!

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
And a Fedora

Agreed. Tucker Carlson should go back to wearing bow ties.

He should also go back to PBS.

And he definitely should start wearing a fedora ! :)

The real Henry

Practically Family
I really prefer the look of a bow tie, but it seems like I somehow tie it wrong, because one side always turns down due moving. So I have to adjust that every 5 minutes!:rage:

can anybody help me with that?

Regards,
Henrik

undertaker

Practically Family
I wear a bow tie 6 out of 7 days. It has become my signature I guess... "you know he's the one who always wears a bow tie".....I guess I could be remembered for worse things[huh] Anyway I always tie my own, they just look better (IMO) and everbody askes "did you tie that?" and it gives me great satisfaction to always say yes.

Her is a link to the Ben Silver sight that gives some pretty good indtructions on how to tie a bow tiehttp://www.bensilver.com/style06/knots_bow.htm

I think the main thing is practice;) .

Regards,
J.S.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I also prefer bow ties. We recently hired a few employees from a competitor, a firm where I had worked some years ago. When they heard my name, re the response for several was "the guy who wears those bow ties and drives the big black suburban?" Still have the ties, Beacon Hill was not the best home for my Suburban so the truck was sold.

I've dragged out a four-in-hand maybe once or twice per year, otherwise it's bow ties and in keeping with the "business casual" days when I am not seeing clients I substitute an ascot in my open collar with a blazer or sports coat.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
I got my first bow tie this summer. I spent two hours working on tying it. Maddening. However, I finally have it down, like any skill it takes practice. The Ben Silver link is good but I found that this video on You tube helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr9vPQ1yqXY

I have no knowledge of the company that produced it and the music/voice over/production qualities are low. However you can pause and rock the video back and forth for the various parts. On the links for other videos that the page produces you will also find a heapin helpin of other knots for long ties.

On another note Mr. Rover, the blue and white polka dot was a favorite of Winston Churchill. Ben Silver ahs a copy for sale.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's always a good to try new things once in a while. I remember the first few times I ventured out in a bow tie and felt a bit out of place and the tie was wearing me. then I did it more and started putting together the right outfits... it's about mixing and matching. Watch Mustache, he has a good eye.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't think I could ever pull it off in daily wear. I don't really dress up every day anyways.

The last time I wore a bowtie...

whitetie.jpg

Zomg pre-tied and rented.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Whenever you start wearing something you haven't worn before that is the least bit unusual, it's not unusual to feel horribly conspicuous and out-of-place at first. Everyone comments on the item, and even if the comments are positive, it seems to your slightly paranoid mind that they think you're weird. But after a little while, if you stick with it and wear it with confidence and pride, both you and they get used to seeing the item and it becomes part of your own personal style. I've been through this process with bow ties, hats, pocket squares, vests, two-tone shoes, seersucker suits, and more.

Beau Brummell once said something to the effect that, "If people turn to look at you on the street, you are not well dressed." Unfortunately, following that dictum today would mean eliminating all the items I just mentioned (and more) from the well-dressed man's wardrobe. We have to realize that in today's world where slob is chic and the suit is considered repressive, simply dressing well--even conservatively--is going to be enough to turn heads. Some people will notice and think any well-turned-out man is a square, a stiff, a fop, a homosexual, or just plain weird. Some people won't notice at all. Most people, though, will take notice and think that he's a well-dressed fellow, and that's the impression we should be striving for.

For my own personal dressing habits, I've worked out a system for how to wear unusual items of clothing without giving offense or looking too over-the-top. I think of all the items in my wardrobe that the average businessman doesn't wear--bow ties, hats, pocket squares, vests, two-tone shoes, seersucker suits, etc.--and limit the number of them that I wear at the same time. One of these is fine--most people won't notice. Two is more noticeable, and if I need to dress more conservatively I won't wear more than two (e.g. a pocket square and a bow tie). I never, ever wear more than three at a time. Once I made the mistake of wearing a bow tie, an odd vest, spectator shoes, and a panama hat all on the same day--even I thought it was too much.

So I said all that to say this: You can "pull off" a bow tie if you want to. There are few men who can't. Yes, people will notice, especially at first, but they'll get used to it and eventually come to appreciate it. Just wear it with confidence and make sure it's coordinated with the rest of your outfit, and you'll be fine. But please, if you do--don't wear a pre-tied one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana