Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I've been looking for a good place to post this photo...

This looks like it.

Dunno if I really pull it off that well or not, but here's a pic from prom about this time last month. If you note the bags under my eyes, take into account that I think I managed about three hours of sleep the night before, and maybe four the next night.

Prom kills.

I must admit, I think I look rather dashing lol

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I finally did it. I bought a bow tie, practiced tying it for a couple of days, and when I had the nerve I wore it to work, full expecting to be teased all day long. I was pleasantly surprised that I received so many compliments from supervisors, co-workers, and clients. The one negative comment bestowed upon me was from a female co-worker who said that it made me look "too innocent," and she didn't like thinking of me as innocent. I have no idea what that meant but it almost sounded good.

I was so pleased that I went shopping that very night on the way home and picked up another one, which I'll be wearing tomorrow. And thus a new collection begins...

15100313544.jpg

kodou

New in Town
I started wearing bow ties last year, and I love the look.
I'm kind of picky about the way I wear it. I can't stand for it the bow to be wider than my neck (i'm about a 14.5), so I also like to the knot in a way that makes the bow very small. I'v recieved compliments on it from both non/bow tie wearers alike, so I think I'm doin somethin right.
I only have 3 at the moment, but I'm hoping to increase that number over the next year or so.

I'm glad I saw this post today though, because I've just looked through my ties and realized that I've left one of my bows back home in the States! (make that 2 ties now)

kodou said:
I started wearing bow ties last year, and I love the look.
I'm kind of picky about the way I wear it. I can't stand for it the bow to be wider than my neck ...

The bow shouldn't be any wider than your face. So if it sticks out wider than the outside of ones eyes, it is too wide. When it's too wide, you start down the path of the clowns...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been thinking about getting a bow tie. It's always bugged me a little that I've never learned the knot.

How much difference in shape is there between the batwing and thistle styles?

Nick D said:
I've been thinking about getting a bow tie. It's always bugged me a little that I've never learned the knot.

How much difference in shape is there between the batwing and thistle styles?

The knot really isn't that hard, once you practice. When you find a bow you like -- and buy an interesting one, not a boring, basic stripe or check -- take it home, turn on your favorite DVD, and practice tying it just above your knee. This part of your leg is generally the same size as your neck, so you'll learn the proportions. Once you get the motions down, try it on your neck, but please, stay away from the mirror. Learning to tie bows in the mirror only serves to swear people off bows.

Here's my guide on tying it: http://www.319men.com/cbguide.jpg

Regarding the shape, batwing vs. thistle (a.k.a. butterfly), there is a distinct difference in styles. Your standard bows are going to be 2 3/4 butterflies. The batwing will give you a much slimmer bow, and depending on the width of the bow, is usually best for thinner build fellas. It's also -- nowadays -- a bit more casual or sporty in comparison to traditional butterfly shapes. I like the batwing, though, it's a fun variation, and works well with slimmer style cuts of suits.

Note: Bows can be cut in different widths. 2 3/4 is the most common butterfly, but you can get them cut as slim as 2". Same thing with batwings. Check out the specs on different bow cuts here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've been wearing bow ties for ~15 years now. I've been teased my fair share of times over them, but the most common reaction that I get is, "Wow. Is that a real bow tie?" This is usually accompanied by the speaker trying to see if it's a clip-on.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I often wear one for a break from the "Same Old Thing". I like the look, and it isn't hanging down.

Back in the mid 70's bow ties were in. Most of the guys wore "clip ons".. I've never been a clip on anything guy. My local haberdasher (and he truly was), had a couple of bow ties that were stylish and showed me how to tie one. I bought both ties and wore them regularly.

One thing he told me was, "never tie it perfect". Much like your windors or four in hand knot, make it your knot. I've always remembered that.

Plus, when you settle in for that libation after work... It's sooo much cooler to pop the knot on the bow tie and have it around your neck that to just loosen your four in hand tie.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Highlander, seeing that you're from Missouri, it made me think of geography and neckwear. I think bowties are far more accepted in the American South than they are up here.

This winter I was in a small town in the Thumb of Michigan and one of my in-laws friends was talking about the difficulty a new employee at his bank was having with tying his necktie. I jokingly said "He ought to try wearing a bowtie, it's just like tying your shoes." Well, Mr. Banker (who ordinarily I get along with quite well), said something to the effect that anyone wearing a bowtie was an odd duck and not to be trusted. I think at that point my wife gently stepped on my foot and I bit my tongue.

Fast forward a few months and I went down to South Carolina to attend my wife's grandparents' 50th wedding anniversery and vow renewal. I got to the church wearing white pants, a black blazer, a white shirt, my Dobbs Shantung, and a hand-made seersucker bowtie with matching pocket square. I got nothing but raves from the southerners, including one woman who was just certain I was from down there because she said "I looked like a true southern gentleman."

I think southerners just appreciate style more - up here neckwear is viewed as a requirement that you rip off the minute you get away from work/church.

-Dave

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I would agree that those in the south are more accepting of Bowties. Having recently made repeated trips to the Norfolk-Portsmouth, Virginia area because of my Marine Sons's foot surgery, I noticed far more business men sporting bows than I EVER see here in Northeast Ohio. I do believe I'm looked at in an odd way around here because I choose bowties, but frankly, it doesn't matter to me, because I love 'em!

David Conwill said:
...I think southerners just appreciate style more - up here neckwear is viewed as a requirement that you rip off the minute you get away from work/church. ...

It's definitely a more formal society, at least in the cities, as far as dress goes. I think to most southerners -- at least from this southerner's p.o.v. -- manner of dress simply reflects your respect for those you deal with. All in all, it's still an old society, and old rules still matter (especially in Charleston).

Plus, it gets hot as hades down here, and bows keep cooler than neckties -- and going without neckwear simply isn't an option ;).

Slim Portly

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
...Well, Mr. Banker (who ordinarily I get along with quite well), said something to the effect that anyone wearing a bowtie was an odd duck and not to be trusted. I think at that point my wife gently stepped on my foot and I bit my tongue...
Yikes. Bless your wife for her good judgment and fast reflexes. I don't think that, without intervention, I could have held my tongue in response to such a statement. Teamwork at its best.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Just got my bow tie today. The color and pattern don't come out to well in the photo, it's a red baroque pattern on black with the light silver stripes.

I tried it on when I got home (had been wearing a black and silver necktie). I got it on my knee third try, the picture is my first on my neck. The knot itself really isn't that hard, it's doing neatly that seems to be the trick. I understand why it shouldn't be too perfect, but I like a neat knot (I was Scoutcraft director, what can I say?)

DSC07725.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran