Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler hats anyone?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Charlie Huang said:
I just contacted Lock to ask if they could re-conform a bowler for me. They said yes and said that the charge for this service was £50.

Yes, that's right. FIFTY ENGLISH POUNDS STERLING! :eek:

OMG, I almost snorted my tea onto the monitor when I read that... There's more discomfort in that price than an uncomfortably fitting bowler...

I'm going through all the hatters in the country to compare prices and see who is the cheapest at re-conformation.

Hm, shop rents in SW1 might come down due to the crisis. If the hat prices consequently will .... ?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Patey said they'll do it for £25 which is half of Lock's (albeit being a bit out of my way to get to their workshop in London but very competitively priced)!

I'm still waiting for Bates and Ascot Top Hats to reply. I somehow doubt Bates will be of help since they are going to die by the end of the year anyway (does that mean their conformature (if they have one) will be sold on the market? Hmmm...)

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Ascot Top Hats: £50 :eek: [huh]
Bates: £10 (need to see hat first)

Hmmm, I'm still inclined to Patey's since I know they have the conformature machine. I do not know how Bates will do it (and at that price).

Well, now you all know the prices for you to make a choice should you need the re-conformation service.

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Bates thriving

Charlie Huang said:
Patey said they'll do it for £25 which is half of Lock's (albeit being a bit out of my way to get to their workshop in London but very competitively priced)!

I'm still waiting for Bates and Ascot Top Hats to reply. I somehow doubt Bates will be of help since they are going to die by the end of the year anyway (does that mean their conformature (if they have one) will be sold on the market? Hmmm...)
Charlie - I wouldn't be so sure about the death of Bates. They told me that in Jan this year they sold more hats than in all of 2008. They can't get enough stock for the demand.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps I may pop in to have it re-conformed then. £10 can't hurt.

EDIT: But maybe then again, no. It can't be as cheap as a tenner given the processes that are involved!

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Charlie Huang said:
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps I may pop in to have it re-conformed then. £10 can't hurt.

EDIT: But maybe then again, no. It can't be as cheap as a tenner given the processes that are involved!
I'm going to take in the tight, grey bowler I bought a couple of weeks ago and see how they do. If the machine's all heated up then it shouldn't be too much work. Do pay a visit to Hornet's though to see if you like things there - for a 1/3 of the price!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Do tell how Bates re-conforms your bowler. I do not know whether they have the conformature machine which I think is essential in re-conforming hard hats.

I will visit Hornets on my next major trip to London.

Here is another Habig bowler. Size 7 3/8, very good condition.

3365187019_9a410ca20c_b.jpg

3365187137_0acb97e7e8_b.jpg

3366008764_125607b20e_b.jpg

3366008910_26b0928ce2.jpg

3365187601_6e487831e5.jpg

3335909720_61e59667c6.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello Mayserwegener,

really a great piece!

Does it, as well have a felt cushioning underneath the leather?

Dreispitz said:
Hello Mayserwegener,

really a great piece!

Does it, as well have a felt cushioning underneath the leather?

Not now but it could have. The liner was not attached (although in very good shape) and I can not see any signs of stitching.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Until a few weeks ago, I associated Derbys with Charly Chaplin, John Cleese and dressage riders. Since I got this Cavanagh Derby, I really fell in love with this stylish and also practical piece of apparel. The aerodynamic properties are definately better than the of a fedora in terms of not getting wings when it is windy.

I was wearing the hat in town the last days. My conclusion:

1. Men who wear bowler hats in public have balls of steel!

2. An increase in the general level of serotonin in pedestrian zones can be percieved. This clearely contributes to a better world :)

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Well, I finally chosen Patey as they said they will re-stitch part of the sweatband that is loose AND re-conform it for £25! Compare that to the potential £70 for Lock (and they won't barter me a free hat box even for that surcharge).

Of course, I would probably go to Lock's for the hat box (£30-35) as the bomb-proof hat boxes of Patey's costs a little too much for my wallet (from £85)!

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Hat_Boxes___Hat_Accessories-Hat_Box-P295.aspx

http://www.pateyhats.com/?cat=12

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Charlie Huang said:
Well, I finally chosen Patey as they said they will re-stitch part of the sweatband that is loose AND re-conform it for £25! Compare that to the potential £70 for Lock (and they won't barter me a free hat box even for that surcharge).

Of course, I would probably go to Lock's for the hat box (£30-35) as the bomb-proof hat boxes of Patey's costs a little too much for my wallet (from £85)!

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Hat_Boxes___Hat_Accessories-Hat_Box-P295.aspx

http://www.pateyhats.com/?cat=12
I'm looking forward, Charlie, to seeing how you get on. You might be disappointed though with the Locks box. I have one and it's extremely flimsy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn