Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler Ribbon Replacement?

Ratchet

New in Town
Hi

I recently purchased from Ebay a Locke & Co Bowler that is in very nice shape with the exception of the ribbon. I would like to have it replaced. I was wondering if there were any recommendations on where I can send the hat to have the work done?

Regards,
Rob

howardeye

Practically Family
Thank you for the info and links. I would like a new ribbon for my Knox. The edge is perfect and now the sweatband has torn away from the stitching. I think it has been many years since this one had a head in it. I am still working on the dents.

Last edited:
It would require silk ribbon (or something similar) to match the original binding. The only modern source I am aware of is Mokuba but I don't think you can purchase it online. They have stores in NYC and LA. It's possible Optimo or a custom hatmaker has similar vintage ribbon but I tend to doubt it. I would try to contact (PM) Bobx (he must be located near LA) regarding the Mokuba ribbon.

http://www.mokubany.com/

Last edited:

Ratchet

New in Town
I wrote to Locke & Co and they can replace the ribbon. However, aside from the 55 pounds it will cost they warned me that the in the return postage I might get stuck paying a lot in customs. They suggested bringing it in personally but since I'm in the US that really isn't in the cards right now,

One thought I had was asking them to sell me the raw ribbon material and have someone else over here do the work. I will post pictures in a bit.

Ratchet

New in Town
I took the pictures but I'm having trouble getting them to upload. I followed the instructions in the FAQ (e.g. do not use quick reply) but whenever I upload them using the Image button (I don't see an attachment button as mentioned in the faq) it places an exclamation mark next to the filename and says the size is 0. I scaled them down to a smaller size than the originals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Upload them to an external site, such as http://imageshack.us/ then post the direct link in bwtween
. So it should look like "
ireallylikemystetsons
"

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I took the pictures but I'm having trouble getting them to upload. I followed the instructions in the FAQ (e.g. do not use quick reply) but whenever I upload them using the Image button (I don't see an attachment button as mentioned in the faq) it places an exclamation mark next to the filename and says the size is 0. I scaled them down to a smaller size than the originals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe you need a post count of 15 before you can use the board's internal photo displays.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I do believe that ribbon is fine. That is how it would have come from the factory, looking at other examples. Same with frayed bow edges, people think the bow is trashed, when in reality, that was how it was done back then. Your ribbon/bow is fine from what I can see.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Here are the pictures of the Bowler with the ribbon issue.

imagekrq.jpg

This ribbon is in 100% perfect condition. If you have it replaced you'd be ruining a vintage classic.

Edit: if you don't like it for purely stylistic reasons, at least keep in mind that by replacing the ribbon, you'd be ruining the *resale* value of the hat, which - depending on the size - can be quite substantial for old Lock bowlers.

Last edited:

Ratchet

New in Town
Thanks very much for letting me know that is how it should be. I was really puzzled by the ribbonbecause when I studied it I couldn't understand how it could have unfolded from a traditional bow into the shape it is in. I have another antique bowler and a couple of more modern ones and had never seen a ribbon done in that style before. Once I saw your answers, I did a search and indeed I did find a couple of pictures of vintage Locke & Co Bowlers with the same ribbon style.

Now I need to buy a nice hat box to keep it in. Any recommendations on where to purchase one? Locke & Co has one but you have to write for a price and I suspect it might be expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn