Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACES (SUSPENDERS)

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Ray-Vigo said:
I've been looking recently at converting from regular belt to suspenders for some of my stuff. This is going to be mostly jacket and tie level stuff for work. What would have to be done to the pants (usually dockers type stuff) for traditional suspenders to work?

I received as gifts that have a sort of "expansion waist" where they have a waist that and expand and contract a bit, though do not seem to be of the cheap elastic sort. How would the addition of buttons go with those? Any suggestions on suspender brands or types or sources? I'm looking at strictly traditional stuff- black or grey or tan.

How substantial are the waistbands? I have found that it is not worth the trouble attaching buttons on trousers whose waistbands are not sturdy. Eventually, it will buckle from bending at the waist and tension from the suspenders.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
all I can say is that these are youd basic Dockers type pants and waists-- not cheap Wal-Mart stuff, but not high-grade dress pants either. Anyone try it with that sort of common pant?

Feraud

Bartender
Yes.
DSC06493.jpg

DSC06496.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geesie said:
As I don't have those, what is a good distance between buttons?

On the ones I did myself, I centered them on the front belt loops. What you might try is just tacking on the buttons (three or four fast stitches & not tied off) and seeing how they look with the braces somewhat loose, before you sew them on permanently. Also, you want them a little over halfway up the waistband. Too low and the waistband may have a tendency to flop over if you have the buttons on the inside. Outside doesn't really matter.

If you Google "suspenders" or "button suspenders", you'll find some sources besides the pricier Trafalgar, Thurston & the like, and you can find parts for converting clip-on to button on, as well as "logger buttons" and the clip-on buttons Billy Spew posted above. I've got a set of those and they work pretty well in a pinch. Also - check Amazon, and of course, Ebay. Check both "suspender" and "braces" - you can find some bargains in listings that have 4-5 in a listing.

A couple good sites are Rainbow Connection and Suspender Store.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Ray-Vigo said:
all I can say is that these are youd basic Dockers type pants and waists-- not cheap Wal-Mart stuff, but not high-grade dress pants either. Anyone try it with that sort of common pant?

The thing with that is braces were usually worn with high rise trousers. The typical Dockers today don't have that rise, so often the braces pull the pants up to a 'high water' look at the bottom of the leg. I know braces are adjustable but it still can happen if you have enough tension on them to keep them on the shoulders.

I've found it takes a slightly longer than usual inseam for me to get away with putting buttons and braces on my khakis - but I have done it and I like it when they don't ride up.

Cobden

Practically Family
filfoster said:
I prefer them in terms of looks. The 'X' ones look like hip-wader suspenders or what firemen or loggers wore.

With me, I tend to go for Y if the trousers are flat backed and try to wear V's (hard to find) with highbacks

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I recently got a pair of suspenders (finally) but unfortunatley they are clip ons. This, of course, will never do. The clips are removable, but I am not sure how to replace them with button holes. Does anyone have any insight?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Pics would help.

At this point I cannot give pics, but I did figure it out, and when I am done I will show the results. I will try to put up "before" pics also. I am basically just replacing the clips with some strips of leather that I had laying around.

Thanks though. In retrospect, I should have thought a bit more before posting the question on here.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I now have a pair of button suspenders (the ones I was asking about above) and two pairs of trousers with buttons.

Here are two ends of the suspenders, one with the old clip, and one with my new set up, side by side for comparison.
Photo1-1.jpg

I took off the clips, which left me with this:
Photo2.jpg

Then I cut some strips of leather, and sewed them in half lengthwise, except for the ends, and sliced some button holes:
Photo3.jpg

and there is the result, with some poorly sewn buttons:
Photo4.jpg

It could have been done better, but as the project of an afternoon, I think it turned out okay.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I am always on the lookout for braces with straps rather than clips

However on a few occasions I have purchased nice braces with clips. On other occasions I have bought crappy braces with straps.

My goal, as yet unrealised, is to take the clips off the nice braces, and replace them with the straps from the braces in poor condition

Thus I have nice braces with straps :)

davestlouis

Practically Family
Quick question about leather braces...I saw some braided leather ones, but I wondered if I would have a problem with dye staining my white shirt...does anyone have first hand experience with that? For that matter, in the heat/humidity around here, I perspire a bit...how color-fast are fabric braces?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
davestlouis said:
For that matter, in the heat/humidity around here, I perspire a bit...how color-fast are fabric braces?

Just like any other fabric, it probally has more to do with who manufactured it & the type of fabric it is made of. Just like other clothes in real life, some are more colourfast than others.

If you are unsure, I would try testing a section to see if any colour bleeds.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
Quick question about leather braces...I saw some braided leather ones, but I wondered if I would have a problem with dye staining my white shirt...does anyone have first hand experience with that? For that matter, in the heat/humidity around here, I perspire a bit...how color-fast are fabric braces?
No problem with fabric bleeding but leather could be problematic if you sweat through your shirts. I've had no problems with my Trafalgar leather braces but then I rarely wear them mainly because they are borderline uncomfortable due to the leather cutting into my shoulders;a common complaint about leather braces.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Suspenders

What do you guys think about suspenders with khaki pants or gray pants (khaki style)?

Since I'm not working right now, I wear a lot of khaki color (like Chinos) and some gray or green pants. What do you guys think about sewing buttons on them and wering with suspenders.

Also, what colors do you think would be good?
edit: What color of suspender that is.

thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael