Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces without Waistcoat

Evidently braces are a serious threat to National Security.
I had a short plane trip (out on Wednesday and back on Thursday), and both times the metal adjuster buckles set off the detector requiring a full-body pat-down from a friendly TSA representative. Not the old-fashioned wand that would beep to indicate where the metal was, but the full, intimate touchy-feely treatment.

It gets close to the doctor saying "turn your head and cough" type of close. If it wasn't for the fuss that would kick up, i'd love to be in line and slip on some latex gloves and show the guard a tube of KY Jelly and say "let's not get too intimate now shall we?"

ws1

New in Town
Sock garters, too. I forgot to take them off the last time I went through Detroit and they set it off. I found out I can take my braces off without taking off my waistcoat, though. For speed's sake, I can't put them back on without taking the waistcoat off.
The same happened to me a week ago. I had forgot to think of my sock garters, I wear them daily so I didn,t notice. I felt embarrassed, I am used to a lot of comments and staring people because I always dress in a very strict, old fashioned way, always use a cane and so on, but I´m not used to show my sock garters. I thougt to many people staring at me at the same time and they looked like they never have seen someone properly dressed before. Hope you didn´t have the same feeling.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My hat set off the dinger at he airport check-through, as well. I didnt want to bother explaining the reed to the agent, and he couldnt figure out why a hat would do that, so he just let it, and me, through.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
How about this guy:

mork.jpg

HHCassius

New in Town
Regarding the terminology of braces versus suspenders, I got it in my head that if they have a clip, they're suspenders, but if they have leather loops which require brace buttons on your trousers, they're called braces. It's just that suspenders with clips have fallen out of favor in popular fashion as I see it, so it's more stylish to wear braces. Has this been covered already?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the terminology of braces versus suspenders, I got it in my head that if they have a clip, they're suspenders, but if they have leather loops which require brace buttons on your trousers, they're called braces. It's just that suspenders with clips have fallen out of favor in popular fashion as I see it, so it's more stylish to wear braces. Has this been covered already?

My understanding is this. Braces in the UK are the same thing as suspenders in the US. Buttons are the better way to attach them to your pants/(uk, trousers) as they hold better and do not damage the waist. I doubt that either would be particularly popular among fashionable types.

As Yeps wrote, The terms are British English versus American English. Buttons are older technology, they tend to be more classic and more of a sure way to have them hold up your pants. I have have a couple of pairs of the clip type and they always popped off the waist band of my pants at the moment they were needed most so I will not consider the clip type to be worth a damn.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Has happened to me a few times
Airport Security usually pick up on my Sock suspenders, Braces and also armbands..
off to Washington on Saturday.. so possibly the usual hassle at Security..

RBH

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Um, did most men wear a shirt, braces, a vest / waistcoat, and a jacket on top of that back in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's? I bet that made Montezuma's Revenge VERY exciting what with removing a jacket, unbuttoning a six button vest and pulling it off, then slipping the braces off, unbuttoning the pants, and dropping everything else. My father swapped to sweat pants (hadn't owned any since high school and he graduated in the 1930's) so he could be FAST when he was sick last year. He got over it thankfully.

With respect to the TSA, I bought two pair of the scrubs with the cargo pockets so that I can be free of any metal. If I thought that the TSA wouldn't get all nasty about it, I'd wear nothing but a hospital gown and flip flops on the plane. I'd keep the tickets in the pocket and everything else in a backpack.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi

Um, did most men wear a shirt, braces, a vest / waistcoat, and a jacket on top of that back in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's? I bet that made Montezuma's Revenge VERY exciting what with removing a jacket, unbuttoning a six button vest and pulling it off, then slipping the braces off, unbuttoning the pants, and dropping everything else.

Um, ya, you have to develop a rote pattern and very fast hands to ensure success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy