Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces without Waistcoat

dnjan

One Too Many
I have recently become a convert to braces (instead of a belt), and very much like the comfort. However, I am not comfortable with having the braces show (not being a lumberjack or such), and therefore always wear waistcoats to cover them.

Do others feel the same?

Does anyone have historical photos (not movies) showing men appearing in public with braces visible?

Rottweiler

New in Town
Braces go over the shirt.

I feel comfortable exposing my shirt in public.

Ergo, I feel comfortable exposing braces in public.

If you consider shirts underwear to be hidden, then it's different.

dnjan

One Too Many
I think that is what I would do as well (not remove my jacket), which would be hotter than the waistcoat.

Cobden

Practically Family
In the UK, traditionally, braces were considered underwear and not to be visible. Many UK firms and government officers still to this day mandate that braces (unless under a waistcoat) are not to be worn with shirtsleeves as part of their dresscode

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
In the UK, traditionally, braces were considered underwear and not to be visible. Many UK firms and government officers still to this day mandate that braces (unless under a waistcoat) are not to be worn with shirtsleeves as part of their dresscode

Most of the photos you see in the 20's to 50's that were taken in the south in the summer the men without their jackets could care less if anyone saw their suspenders or not. People that get upset about those things never spent a summer of 100 plus degree tempatures without air conditioning.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Most of the photos you see in the 20's to 50's that were taken in the south in the summer the men without their jackets could care less if anyone saw their suspenders or not. People that get upset about those things never spent a summer of 100 plus degree tempatures without air conditioning.
Like a Tennessee courtroom in July.

Clarence-D---1.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many

Since Seattle weather is often similar to London's, I'll probably stick with covering my braces.

thanks!

Rottweiler

New in Town

But they don't consider the shirt underneath to be underwear? So braces are underwear that go on the outside.

I feel like Superman.

As usual the British use of English confuses the rest of us English speakers. From the US standpoint braces are either on your teeth to straighten them, on your legs if you are disabled or a design for some type of structure. Suspenders are the things that are used instead of a belt to hold up your pants.

In the US feel free the wear them exposed but know that the cretins among us will not be able to resist "snapping" them at your expense and discomfort. Then you can feel free to employ a sap to their heads to remind them that an armed society it a polite society.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
As usual the British use of English confuses the rest of us English speakers. From the US standpoint braces are either on your teeth to straighten them, on your legs if you are disabled or a design for some type of structure. Suspenders are the things that are used instead of a belt to hold up your pants.
This raises an interesting question. What do they use in the UK to straighten teeth?

In the US feel free the wear them exposed but know that the cretins among us will not be able to resist "snapping" them at yours expense and discomfort. Then you can feel free to employ a sap to their heads to remind them that an armed society it a polite society.

I have gotten two pairs which are not elastic, which makes it tough to snap them.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Braces go over the shirt.

I feel comfortable exposing my shirt in public.

Ergo, I feel comfortable exposing braces in public.

If you consider shirts underwear to be hidden, then it's different.

Agree. In addition, I have had quite a few women make favorable comments when viewing me in "exposed" suspenders (and that's what they're normally called here in the USA, thank you). Have any of you gents had similar experiences?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic