Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand new Orvis Himel jacket for sale on ebay - bid is at $56 - size medium.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That particular model on Orvis had a review where a button fell off. This jacket was at one point on sale for under 1k, then shot back up. It was tempting as it's a beautiful design. Possibly a bad apple.

As a guy who has tried to stretch a tight fitting jacket over my shoulders in the past, this looks to me as if someone tried to squeeze into this jacket and blew the shoulder seam out.
Or squeezed in it and bent down to tie his shoe...I've had some uber tight leathers that felt like a terrible situation like this could become a possibility.

They'd make some of the nicest I've seen but a bit 80's in cut. Boxy and big but the hide they were using was a spectacle in itself. They had like crap, mall line and a limited edition line which was just wow.

BobJ

Practically Family
I wrote to the seller of this jacket and asked him if he knew what happened to this jacket (the Himel with the blown seam). Here is the short exchange, presented without comment:

I know this jacket has already sold, but I've been having a discussion with a few guys about how this damage to the seam could have happened? Did you go down on a motorcycle or something? Thanks, Bob

Well I did not go down on a motorcycle and I don't think anyone else did. The jacket was donated to us so we don't know for sure but as it said in the listing it just looks like the edge of the sleeve wasn't caught up enough in the seam

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I wrote to the seller of this jacket and asked him if he knew what happened to this jacket (the Himel with the blown seam). Here is the short exchange, presented without comment:

I know this jacket has already sold, but I've been having a discussion with a few guys about how this damage to the seam could have happened? Did you go down on a motorcycle or something? Thanks, Bob

Well I did not go down on a motorcycle and I don't think anyone else did. The jacket was donated to us so we don't know for sure but as it said in the listing it just looks like the edge of the sleeve wasn't caught up enough in the seam
Basically they have no idea, because they are not the original owner, who donated it, probably for a full tax write off, which I assume is the only way they could recover the money they spent. Which is shocking considering how good Orvis and Himel are by reputation. Maybe the original owner just didn't try, but I would hope that it would be a warranty replacement, like I said earlier.

Well the happy ending is the proceeds went to a good cause. I would certainly give DH the benefit of the doubt for replacing it. I'd be curious how that works thru a middleman seller. Seems Orvis would be the first point of contact for a return/replacement.

Last edited:
Per Dave, no one ever contacted him about the jacket. He would have taken care of it.
I knew he would. I wonder how Orvis would've handled that request? I assume anyone buying a Himmel, direct or otherwise knows exactly who made it and how to get in touch. I've had the same thoughts about buying a Vanson through left field or Union garage. Is the middleman responsible for upholding the makers warranty? Best to skip the retailer and hit the source point first? In my experience retailers aren't keen on damaged merchandise, for return or replacement.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If this were my jacket I would reach out to Orvis since I had purchased it new directly from them. 99% of the time that would work great because they would be able to send you a brand new replacement for whatever product had failed. I suppose it gets tricky in a situation like this where we are talking about a limited edition jacket of which only so many were made. Nice to hear that Himel stands behind it regardless of who it was purchased from.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Just got off the phone with Dave myself to talk about a new jacket for me and he confirmed that he was never contacted about this jacket.

I personally suspect the hide at this point. My Himel is rock solid in terms of construction. Also, while I know Himel jackets are not made to ride motorcycles in, we have seen pictures of a jacket that had been worn during a motorcycle accident and despite the abrasion on the hide, it looked perfect.

Hell, Role Club had a sole split and I'm not worried about the integrity of my boots from him. Anomalies like this happen to every brand. It should not call into question the overall quality of construction.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got off the phone with Dave myself to talk about a new jacket for me and he confirmed that he was never contacted about this jacket.

I personally suspect the hide at this point. My Himel is rock solid in terms of construction. Also, while I know Himel jackets are not made to ride motorcycles in, we have seen pictures of a jacket that had been worn during a motorcycle accident and despite the abrasion on the hide, it looked perfect.

Hell, Role Club had a sole split and I'm not worried about the integrity of my boots from him. Anomalies like this happen to every brand. It should not call into question the overall quality of construction.
Absolutely right. Every manufacturer and artisan experiences product failure of some sort from time to time. What separates the best from the rest is how they handle these problems when they occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran